U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,981 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have been following a few threads and find these very helpful so thank you to those who respond. I have appreciated and considered all views.

My husband, son and I are most likely moving to SLC late fall and we are looking for a great area to live. We have NEVER been there and due to the pandemic we aren't able to check out the area more than once. My son is a high schooler. What are some suggestions? We are not mormon if you feel that makes a difference in your suggestions. I have read a lot regarding SLCounty vs. Utah County. I have been leaning more towards Utah County due to houses, newness, growth, schools etc. I have seen many threads on this same subject but I was looking for a few more recent ones other than 2013 etc. We need to be south of SLC for husbands commute. Dream list is bigger yard, mountain views, newer house, good high school, restaurants, friendly people. We are not as active as we think we are but we'd like to be better there. Thanks in advance!

Oh and one more thing. What is the weather like? We are currently in HIGH humidity area and no snow ever. Ha

Last edited by aervin73; 09-04-2020 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: forgot to add weahter
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 07:53 PM

26,309 posts, read 27,698,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aervin73 View Post
Hi. I have been following a few threads and find these very helpful so thank you to those who respond. I have appreciated and considered all views.

My husband, son and I are most likely moving to SLC late fall and we are looking for a great area to live. We have NEVER been there and due to the pandemic we aren't able to check out the area more than once. My son is a high schooler. What are some suggestions? We are not mormon if you feel that makes a difference in your suggestions. I have read a lot regarding SLCounty vs. Utah County. I have been leaning more towards Utah County due to houses, newness, growth, schools etc. I have seen many threads on this same subject but I was looking for a few more recent ones other than 2013 etc. We need to be south of SLC for husbands commute. Dream list is bigger yard, mountain views, newer house, good high school, restaurants, friendly people. We are not as active as we think we are but we'd like to be better there. Thanks in advance!
Hello, aervin, and welcome to the forum. As a Mormon, I am going to very strongly suggest to you that, as a non-Mormon, you not move to Utah County. I know they're adjacent to each other, but they are significantly different in terms of atmosphere and overall vibe. The ratio of LDS to non-LDS is nowhere near as significant in Salt Lake County as in Utah County, and your son should be able to make friends relatively easily here. If he is active in a sport, that should also help. While it's true that there are a lot of new subdivisions in Utah County, you can find some nice new developments in Salt Lake County, as well. Cottonwood Heights is a great area to live in, and parts of Sandy and Draper would be good options. All of these areas are on the southern-most side of Salt Lake County, so the commute to Utah county wouldn't be too awfully bad.

Quote:
Oh and one more thing. What is the weather like? We are currently in HIGH humidity area and no snow ever. Ha
We have four fairly distinct seasons and relatively low humidity. Not knowing where you're from, it would be hard for me to make comparisons, but I can tell you for sure that 90 degrees in Salt Lake City wouldn't feel anywhere near as hot as 90 degrees in some parts of the country. Likewise, 30 degrees here would not feel as cold as somewhere with higher humidity.

Average High Temperatures:
January: 38°
April: 62°
July: 93°
October: 65°

Average Low Temperatures:
January: 22°
April: 40°
July: 65°
October 41°

Old 09-04-2020, 10:56 PM

2,588 posts, read 6,563,009 times
Quote:

The newness and growth are an ongoing nightmare IMO. Constant traffic, never-ending construction. Civil planning is a concept largely unknown in Utah.

Mountain views are great everywhere, no communities really have an advantage. It will vary from house to house.

Understand also the Utah county is the land of unending strip malls and chain restaurants. Follow Katz' advice. Avoid Utah county. But do also consider also Millcreek and Holladay. Both are literally a couple minutes north of Cottonwood Heights and still south of SLC.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:41 AM

8,540 posts, read 5,700,964 times
Quote:

I'd go Davis County IMO it has a nice mix of newer houses, mix of LDS and NoMo families (HAFB), mountain views, good public schools, and slightly more affordable. We've thrived in heavily mormon neighborhoods/areas as they make fantastic neighbors. I'm friendly with all my neighbors but friends with none which is just how we like it. Everybody takes care of their properties, values their families, and are very personable.

We had a visit from the local bishop and boys on bikes once. We made it clear we weren't interested wished them well and haven't heard a peep about religion since.

The weather is great low humidity, change of seasons, mild winters, and lots of sunshine. The snow mostly stays in the mountains and really the only negative are the winter inversions.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:16 PM

32 posts, read 36,068 times
Outside of SLC proper, there is a dearth of decent independent restaurants. The best suburbs for restaurants are East Millcreek and Holladay, by a long shot. West Valley and South Salt Lake also have some excellent Mexican and Asian eats. Most other burbs are a glut of strip malls and parking lots with national chains. There may be a good option here or there, but you end up driving long distances to avoid going to the same ones over and over.

A lot of newer houses are being built in the Southwest corner of Salt Lake County. This includes suburbs like Riverton, Bluffdale, Herriman. I would consider these to be country, more blue collar type suburbs. Access and traffic are turning into larger problems with more development.

Draper has some newer development but will likely be more pricey, as it's one of the five highest median zip codes in Salt Lake County. More white collar, upscale neighborhoods.

The LDS/non LDS factor is shrinking each year. SL County just became non-LDS majority a couple of years ago. SLC proper reached that milestone long ago. The further away from Salt Lake, typically the more religious the community may feel. Will be a larger issue in Utah County, where I think it's still over 85% LDS.

As for weather; there are four distinct seasons. Learn winter sports to flip your head about winter. Many hate it, but if you ski or snowboard, play hockey, etc. you'll look forward to snow. Spring is mild from mid-March to mid-May and then heats up. Leaves start changing in the mountains in mid Sept and are gone by mid October. Usually starts snowing in Decmeber. Some years are worse than others, but expect 2-4 major snowstorms through the winter.

Utah is the second driest state in the country after Nevada. Stock up on hand and face lotion. It doesn't rain a ton in summer and is hot. No humidity, so getting in shade can drop temps by 15 degrees. Summer nights here are perfect for shorts and t-shirts.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,981 times
Thank you so much. This is SO helpful and I appreciate y'all!

Old 09-05-2020, 10:21 PM

26,309 posts, read 27,698,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlocal View Post
As for weather; there are four distinct seasons. Learn winter sports to flip your head about winter. Many hate it, but if you ski or snowboard, play hockey, etc. you'll look forward to snow.
I agree! As a native Salt Laker, I have always hated winter. I realize, though, that it's at least partly my own fault. If you ski or snowboard, winter doesn't have to be something you dread. At almost 72, I'm not about to pick up a winter sport now, but if you're younger than even 50, go for it! It will make a huge difference to how much you like it here.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:59 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,797,098 times
I understand what other posters are trying to say about not moving to Utah County. But, I think that it should be made clear that there are many many people in Utah County, upwards of 130,000 residents, that have no affiliation with the LDS Church, and for the most part are not bothered by the Mormon majority.

I know a handful of couples and families that are either inactive or never-affiliated with the LDS Church and have never expressed concern or discomfort about their neighbors' religious proclivities. It really depends on what you are looking for and what your level of tolerance is.

If it bothers you that 80% of your neighbors belong to a particular and relatively conservative religious group and likely attend the same congregation, than perhaps you should look elsewhere. If that does not bother you, then you should be just fine in Utah County. It's all about expectations and preferences.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:46 AM

3,908 posts, read 6,270,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hello, aervin, and welcome to the forum. As a Mormon, I am going to very strongly suggest to you that, as a non-Mormon, you not move to Utah County. I know they're adjacent to each other, but they are significantly different in terms of atmosphere and overall vibe. The ratio of LDS to non-LDS is nowhere near as significant in Salt Lake County as in Utah County, and your son should be able to make friends relatively easily here. If he is active in a sport, that should also help. While it's true that there are a lot of new subdivisions in Utah County, you can find some nice new developments in Salt Lake County, as well. Cottonwood Heights is a great area to live in, and parts of Sandy and Draper would be good options. All of these areas are on the southern-most side of Salt Lake County, so the commute to Utah county wouldn't be too awfully bad.

We have four fairly distinct seasons and relatively low humidity. Not knowing where you're from, it would be hard for me to make comparisons, but I can tell you for sure that 90 degrees in Salt Lake City wouldn't feel anywhere near as hot as 90 degrees in some parts of the country. Likewise, 30 degrees here would not feel as cold as somewhere with higher humidity.

Average High Temperatures:
January: 38°
April: 62°
July: 93°
October: 65°

Average Low Temperatures:
January: 22°
April: 40°
July: 65°
October 41°
Katzpur,

This was great, honest advice. My daughter (not LDS) moved to Utah two years ago and loves it. She initially moved to Utah County, but quickly learned how different it was from Salt Lake County. We were waiting to pick up a rental truck and struck up a friendly conversation with some people in line behind us who happened to be LDS. They were moving back to Seattle because, in their words, "they could not take the LDS culture in the Provo area!" The female we spoke to said it was very different than the LDS community she was going back to in Seattle. You wouldn't think the differences would be that significant but they are. For the record, we really like the Salt Lake city area and thought just maybe....

Old 09-17-2020, 09:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,797,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Katzpur,

This was great, honest advice. My daughter (not LDS) moved to Utah two years ago and loves it. She initially moved to Utah County, but quickly learned how different it was from Salt Lake County. We were waiting to pick up a rental truck and struck up a friendly conversation with some people in line behind us who happened to be LDS. They were moving back to Seattle because, in their words, "they could not take the LDS culture in the Provo area!" The female we spoke to said it was very different than the LDS community she was going back to in Seattle. You wouldn't think the differences would be that significant but they are. For the record, we really like the Salt Lake city area and thought just maybe....
There are nearly seven million LDS people in the United States—the 4th largest Christian denomination in the country. That count excludes the hundreds of thousands of Latter Day Saints that belong to smaller denominations. With seven million people, you are going to have a wide diversity of views and practices, no matter how hierarchical the structure of the LDS Church is. The demographic of LDS people that is attracted to Utah County is unique. It begars belief that people born in the covenant would not be aware of how the local community differs from those living in a more cosmopolitan area. Again, can't stress enough that you can live happily and thrive in Utah County as either LDS or gentile, just have your expectations in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area