Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 07:05 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,140,759 times

Advertisements

I saw a job in park city, but the real estate is insane in park city. Any advice for affordable housing in park city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 10:44 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,076 times
Generally, real estate prices are insane in most areas of UT. If you’re ok with renting, you can always try to find some roommates.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:53 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I saw a job in park city, but the real estate is insane in park city. Any advice for affordable housing in park city?
A lot of people commute from the Heber Valley area, but that area is becoming more fashionable too. In Park City, locals compete with a lot of wealthy second-home buyers.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:57 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Any advice for affordable housing in park city?
What is your definition of affordable?

Park City real estate is a bargain. Houses/townhouses/condos going on the market frequently are snapped up the same day or within the week, with multiple offers - that's a sign that the prices are low (a bargain). I'm not a real estate agent, but several I know say it is the best market they've ever seen. And it's not just Park City - same is true in Jeremy Ranch, in Promontory, out by the Jordanelle -- it is the best of times. Lots of out-of-state buyers paying over-asking price, all in cash.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 09-09-2020 at 02:05 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
What is your definition of affordable?

Park City real estate is a bargain. Houses/townhouses/condos going on the market frequently are snapped up the same day or within the week, with multiple offers - that's a sign that the prices are low (a bargain). I'm not a real estate agent, but several I know say it is the best market they've ever seen. And it's not just Park City - same is true in Jeremy Ranch, in Promontory, out by the Jordanelle -- it is the best of times. Lots of out-of-state buyers paying over-asking price, all in cash.
That's not right at all. If homes are flying off the market, that simply means that there is a lot of demand. It doesn't speak to affordability in any way. Housing affordability in Utah is, across the board, relatively poor in Utah. Wages are lower, but expenses are above average, and in Park City, the disconnect is very stark.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,134 times
A lot of people commute into park city. My husband did Sugarhouse to Park City for over a decade. With some good winter tires, it was doable 30-40 minutes.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:13 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times
Heber used to be somewhat affordable or Jeremy Ranch Pinebrook.

I don’t mean cheap I just mean it was doable.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
That's not right at all. If homes are flying off the market, that simply means that there is a lot of demand. It doesn't speak to affordability in any way.
Incorrect. The very definition of affordability is that people can afford it -- and people not only can afford it, but they think it's a bargain.

Quote:
Housing affordability in Utah is, across the board, relatively poor in Utah. Wages are lower, but expenses are above average, and in Park City, the disconnect is very stark.
You seem to be confusing "affordability" with "low income housing."

Old 09-13-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Incorrect. The very definition of affordability is that people can afford it -- and people not only can afford it, but they think it's a bargain.

You seem to be confusing "affordability" with "low income housing."
With all due respect, you are talking to someone whose academic background is in economics and whose career path has been real estate focused. I am not confused about anything.

Home and rent price increases have greatly outpaced increases in household incomes for Utahns. The last time I checked the stats, the average list price for a home in Summit County was nearly 12 times the local median annual household income. That is staggeringly unaffordable.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
With all due respect, you are talking to someone whose academic background is in economics and whose career path has been real estate focused. I am not confused about anything.

Home and rent price increases have greatly outpaced increases in household incomes for Utahns. The last time I checked the stats, the average list price for a home in Summit County was nearly 12 times the local median annual household income. That is staggeringly unaffordable.
With all due respect in return, household income is irrelevant in Park City for two reasons:

* Houses in Park City are largely purchased as a simple asset transfer - selling equities invested in VTI or SPY or AAPL or AMZN or GOOGL or VT into a different asset - a house, paying capital gains tax on any gains realized at the time of the asset transfer. Household income is irrelevant. Indeed, most control their own household income - income is unearned from an income tax perspective - and the objective is to minimize income because every dollar of income generated is a dollar subject to income tax.

* According to the City of Park City, approximately 2/3 of homes in Park City are not owner-occupied. They are vacation homes. The owners/purchasers of those homes, to the extent they do indeed generate income, they are not residents of Park City or Utah for income tax purposes and hence their income is not counted in Park City/Summit County/Utah's tax roles from which your "median annual household income" is calculated. They are residents of San Francisco or New York or Miami or Houston or Los Angeles or Boston or Las Vegas or Nashville or Seattle or wherever.

The concept of the price of a house in Park City being compared to the household income of a person who is a Park City screenwriter-slash-barista-slash-disappointment-to-her-parents is a silly concept.

Household income is irrelevant to the decision to purchase any of the following, because no one purchases them from current income in the first place:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/216-Whi...11975014_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/31-Ashl...68851037_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/3853-Ri...68846851_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/10153-N...45822897_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/8298-N-...89093032_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/7971-N-...89084593_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/7495-Pu...68847486_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/7325-Pi...11977467_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/481-W-O...78454238_zpid/

Moreover, the household income of the retail clerk in Park City was irrelevant to the decision to build the above homes in the first place. That retail clerk is not the target market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: