Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 06:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,417,081 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone- wanted to update as we’ve been in Sugarhouse for almost a year now and everything has been going great! My daughter loves her school and has made friends pretty quickly and I love the area and how friendly people are. We are looking to buy a house now and started looking at Liberty Wells/Sugarhouse area and the bungalows there are so tiny and old and we are bit finding anything we like. So this city girl is venturing to Sandy/Holladay/Cottonwood Heights and being open to more space and amazing views. The city girl in me has been falling for mountains and I think that’s the best part of being in Utah so why settle for a small city bungalow! Recently, I discovered Bountiful and Im scouting a couple of places there. People told me to stay away from Bountiful/NSL as it was heavily LDS, call me crazy but mormons are not aliens and as long as they are friendly and welcoming I don’t mind. Again, wanted to write to say thank you to all who’ve helped in my decision last year :-) Open to hear thoughts about Bountiful as well as Im liking the views of the mountains and lake on the upper bench which is where the houses we are considering are :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 10:04 AM

28,069 posts, read 29,910,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Hello everyone- wanted to update as we’ve been in Sugarhouse for almost a year now and everything has been going great! My daughter loves her school and has made friends pretty quickly and I love the area and how friendly people are. We are looking to buy a house now and started looking at Liberty Wells/Sugarhouse area and the bungalows there are so tiny and old and we are bit finding anything we like. So this city girl is venturing to Sandy/Holladay/Cottonwood Heights and being open to more space and amazing views. The city girl in me has been falling for mountains and I think that’s the best part of being in Utah so why settle for a small city bungalow! Recently, I discovered Bountiful and Im scouting a couple of places there. People told me to stay away from Bountiful/NSL as it was heavily LDS, call me crazy but mormons are not aliens and as long as they are friendly and welcoming I don’t mind. Again, wanted to write to say thank you to all who’ve helped in my decision last year :-) Open to hear thoughts about Bountiful as well as Im liking the views of the mountains and lake on the upper bench which is where the houses we are considering are :-)
I don't know that Bountiful would be a bad place for you as you seem to be very open and flexible. It would be more heavily LDS than Sugarhouse, though, and it might be harder for you to fit in. Personally, I Would look in either Holladay or Cottonwood Heights. I have lived in Cottonwood Heights for 40 years now, but I grew up in Sugarhouse and have lived in several Salt Lake City neighborhoods. IMO, Cottonwood Heights is the best location in the city, but that's just me. It's a nice mix in terms of religion, race, age, etc. and is very centrally located. I guess you probably know that, though, as if I recall correctly, your work is in Cottonwood Heights.

By the way, I've thought about you occasionally during the past year and am so glad to hear that things are working out well for you!

Old 05-16-2022, 11:09 AM

2,618 posts, read 7,022,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know that Bountiful would be a bad place for you as you seem to be very open and flexible. It would be more heavily LDS than Sugarhouse, though, and it might be harder for you to fit in. Personally, I Would look in either Holladay or Cottonwood Heights. I have lived in Cottonwood Heights for 40 years now, but I grew up in Sugarhouse and have lived in several Salt Lake City neighborhoods. IMO, Cottonwood Heights is the best location in the city, but that's just me. It's a nice mix in terms of religion, race, age, etc. and is very centrally located. I guess you probably know that, though, as if I recall correctly, your work is in Cottonwood Heights.

By the way, I've thought about you occasionally during the past year and am so glad to hear that things are working out well for you!
^^^This! To elaborate a bit, Holladay has much in common with Cottonwood Heights. The main differences are the CH houses tend to be a little newer, slightly larger lots and a slightly more "suburban" feel (whatever that means). But they ooze into each other, there's no discerable demarcation. Holladay is also a bit closer to SLC downtown, health care and cultural stuff. It also has a legit "walkable" downtown/village, something quite unique on the Wasatch Front. As for the Bountiful LDS question, if my kids were school age I'd avoid it. Having "nice" neighbors is not the same as being truly included in the larger community. Sooner or later they're going to feel isolated or excluded. Easy to avoid all that by looking elsewhere.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Thank you so much for all your help last year :-) It was more useful than you know! Yes my job is in Cottonwood Heights and we have looked at Cottonwood Heights a lot actually and made a couple of bids there that did not work out, we are still looking there, but as luck would have it, fell in love with a random house in Bountiful that had the high ceilings/views and character we were looking for, not sure our offer would be accepted so we shall see :-) I would say that the real estate market has surprised me more than anything, we’ve made multiple offers so far, going up to $100k over list on houses close to $1MM and are still not getting a lot and getting outbid as well. Was hoping the Utah market would be easier to break than the DC market but that has not been the case….

Old 05-16-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
^^^This! To elaborate a bit, Holladay has much in common with Cottonwood Heights. The main differences are the CH houses tend to be a little newer, slightly larger lots and a slightly more "suburban" feel (whatever that means). But they ooze into each other, there's no discerable demarcation. Holladay is also a bit closer to SLC downtown, health care and cultural stuff. It also has a legit "walkable" downtown/village, something quite unique on the Wasatch Front. As for the Bountiful LDS question, if my kids were school age I'd avoid it. Having "nice" neighbors is not the same as being truly included in the larger community. Sooner or later they're going to feel isolated or excluded. Easy to avoid all that by looking elsewhere.
We were actually under contract on a house in Holladay and had to walk away during the due diligence period as it didn’t work out. I like that area a lot, but the market is crazy right now which is forcing me to expand my search and locations to have a better chance at getting something. For school, since my daughter is not going to public school right now, she’d continue going to her school in SLC and my goal was to keep her in the SLC school all through highschool or find a charter high school in SLC as well, not sure how those work around here though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area