Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 02:17 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If Cottonwood Heights is where your office is located, I'd strongly consider your considering living there. I'm a Salt Lake City native, and I've lived in five different parts of the Salt Lake area over my lifetime. Cottonwood Heights is my favorite area to live in. You might find yourself within literally five or ten minutes of your office.
Thank you- Can you maybe share whats better about CH compared to downtown or why it’s your favorite place to live? I didn’t find any new or modern apts there, which makes it hard to settle when Downtown seems to offer more. It also doesn’t seem that walkable and I like urban walkable areas better than suburbia. Also seems like the commute from Downtown to CH is less than 30 mins? Unless Im getting that wrong, which would make it a very short commute.

Last edited by DCmum; 01-27-2021 at 02:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 08:12 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Thank you- Can you maybe share whats better about CH compared to downtown or why it’s your favorite place to live? I didn’t find any new or modern apts there, which makes it hard to settle when Downtown seems to offer more. It also doesn’t seem that walkable and I like urban walkable areas better than suburbia. Also seems like the commute from Downtown to CH is less than 30 mins? Unless Im getting that wrong, which would make it a very short commute.
What's "better" is that CH is newer and utterly suburban. Many people like that. It's a perfectly nice suburb but plain vanilla (which applies to most of the suburbs here). If you want more urban, more walkable, more activity and more diversity in all things stick with areas closer to downtown.

Incidentally, the joke in my circle is that everything here is "just 10 or 15 minutes" away (rush hour traffic on the freeways excepted). How far to downtown? 10 minutes. How far to the Whole foods? 10 minutes. How far to Big Cottonwood Canyon? 10 minutes. I live in Holladay at the base of the mountains. When I pick up somebody at the airport, which is often, I budget 15 minutes. And so it goes. SLC and immediate surroundings is actually a pretty small place. Look carefully at a map and you'll see distances are surprisingly small. You need to get below CH, say Sandy or Draper before drive times start adding up. If I recall your workplace is near the southeast corner of the I-215 loop. That's a very easy location to get to from anyplace, including downtown, and I-215 is almost never congested.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:06 AM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
If I were young and single, I would absolutely like to live downtown or near downtown. Both of my grown kids and their significant others love it. It is, of course, walkable, and there is more to do downtown than anywhere else in the city. Keep in mind, though, that for someone from a larger city, Salt Lake's downtown is really, really little. We're talking no more than a couple of square miles of a real "downtown" feel. There are some nice, fairly new apartments in the downtown area, too. Most of the residential areas near downtown are very old, so even if you were to find an apartment building that was fairly new, it would likely be surrounded by much older buildings.

In Cottonwood Heights, pretty much everything dates from the early '70s forward. There is also some newer construction, but it's mostly single-family homes. English Ivy mentioned a few of the better-known apartment complexes and told you more about them than I could. To me, anything built within the last 15 years would be considered "new," but if you're looking for something built even more recently, you may have a harder time finding something. As to why I like Cottonwood Heights so much...

1. It's centrally located. Years back, it was kind of on the southern edge of the Salt Lake Valley, but today, that's not the case. From Cottonwood Heights, you can get to the northern-most address in the Salt Lake City area (i.e., downtown) or to the southern-most part within 30 minutes tops. You can get to the western-most part in 45 minutes, to the tops of the Cottonwood Canyons to the east of the city within 15 minutes or to Park City within 20-25 minutes.

2. It has an absolutely top-notch recreation center. It costs money to join, but is very reasonable for what you get. There's an indoor swimming pool, an outdoor swimming pool, an huge indoor ice rink, a workout room, an indoor track and racquetball courts. They also offer numerous classes.

3. I love living right in the shadow of the Wasatch Mountains. It's just such a beautiful part of the Salt Lake area. You're about 1000 feet higher than you'd be downtown. Depending upon where you live, you could have an absolutely gorgeous view of the entire valley below.

4. While not particularly walkable, you've got really easy access by car to numerous supermarkets, a very good library, and a lot of small local businesses. In other words, you don't need to go all the way downtown for everything you want to buy. There are also a couple of big box stores, not right in Cottonwood Heights, but within a 10 to 15 minute drive (Costco, Sam's Club, Target, Walmart, etc.)

5. Cottonwood Heights sponsors an amazing family-friendly celebration each year called Butlerville Days. (The name of this area back in pioneer times was Butler.) Butlerville Days takes place in conjunction with "Pioneer Day" (July 24). This is a huge national holiday in Utah, even bigger than the 4th of July, actually. Cottonwood Heights sponsors a parade through the city and has two full days of activities for adults and kids. The 24th culminates with a huge fireworks show that is as good as any in the Salt Lake City area.

6. To me, Cottonwood Heights has an almost small-town feel, while being really close to a much larger city. Despite what some people may tell you, it's actually fairly diverse, both racially and religiously. To give you an idea of what I mean, there are twelve households on my street. On it, we have Latinos, Asians and Middle-easterners. There are Mormons (4 families), Catholics, Muslims and others I'm not sure of. There is a white family with an adopted Black daughter just a block away from me. We all get along well, not just to smile and say hello to each other, but actually to socialize together.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
What's "better" is that CH is newer and utterly suburban. Many people like that. It's a perfectly nice suburb but plain vanilla (which applies to most of the suburbs here). If you want more urban, more walkable, more activity and more diversity in all things stick with areas closer to downtown.

Incidentally, the joke in my circle is that everything here is "just 10 or 15 minutes" away (rush hour traffic on the freeways excepted). How far to downtown? 10 minutes. How far to the Whole foods? 10 minutes. How far to Big Cottonwood Canyon? 10 minutes. I live in Holladay at the base of the mountains. When I pick up somebody at the airport, which is often, I budget 15 minutes. And so it goes. SLC and immediate surroundings is actually a pretty small place. Look carefully at a map and you'll see distances are surprisingly small. You need to get below CH, say Sandy or Draper before drive times start adding up. If I recall your workplace is near the southeast corner of the I-215 loop. That's a very easy location to get to from anyplace, including downtown, and I-215 is almost never congested.
That is refreshing but crazy to me to think that everything is a few minutes away. In the DC area, it’s typical to drive an hour or more to visit friends, go shopping or for entertainment purposes. I hate driving, so that is hugely attractive about SLT

Old 01-27-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If I were young and single, I would absolutely like to live downtown or near downtown. Both of my grown kids and their significant others love it. It is, of course, walkable, and there is more to do downtown than anywhere else in the city. Keep in mind, though, that for someone from a larger city, Salt Lake's downtown is really, really little. We're talking no more than a couple of square miles of a real "downtown" feel. There are some nice, fairly new apartments in the downtown area, too. Most of the residential areas near downtown are very old, so even if you were to find an apartment building that was fairly new, it would likely be surrounded by much older buildings.

In Cottonwood Heights, pretty much everything dates from the early '70s forward. There is also some newer construction, but it's mostly single-family homes. English Ivy mentioned a few of the better-known apartment complexes and told you more about them than I could. To me, anything built within the last 15 years would be considered "new," but if you're looking for something built even more recently, you may have a harder time finding something. As to why I like Cottonwood Heights so much...

1. It's centrally located. Years back, it was kind of on the southern edge of the Salt Lake Valley, but today, that's not the case. From Cottonwood Heights, you can get to the northern-most address in the Salt Lake City area (i.e., downtown) or to the southern-most part within 30 minutes tops. You can get to the western-most part in 45 minutes, to the tops of the Cottonwood Canyons to the east of the city within 15 minutes or to Park City within 20-25 minutes.

2. It has an absolutely top-notch recreation center. It costs money to join, but is very reasonable for what you get. There's an indoor swimming pool, an outdoor swimming pool, an huge indoor ice rink, a workout room, an indoor track and racquetball courts. They also offer numerous classes.

3. I love living right in the shadow of the Wasatch Mountains. It's just such a beautiful part of the Salt Lake area. You're about 1000 feet higher than you'd be downtown. Depending upon where you live, you could have an absolutely gorgeous view of the entire valley below.

4. While not particularly walkable, you've got really easy access by car to numerous supermarkets, a very good library, and a lot of small local businesses. In other words, you don't need to go all the way downtown for everything you want to buy. There are also a couple of big box stores, not right in Cottonwood Heights, but within a 10 to 15 minute drive (Costco, Sam's Club, Target, Walmart, etc.)

5. Cottonwood Heights sponsors an amazing family-friendly celebration each year called Butlerville Days. (The name of this area back in pioneer times was Butler.) Butlerville Days takes place in conjunction with "Pioneer Day" (July 24). This is a huge national holiday in Utah, even bigger than the 4th of July, actually. Cottonwood Heights sponsors a parade through the city and has two full days of activities for adults and kids. The 24th culminates with a huge fireworks show that is as good as any in the Salt Lake City area.

6. To me, Cottonwood Heights has an almost small-town feel, while being really close to a much larger city. Despite what some people may tell you, it's actually fairly diverse, both racially and religiously. To give you an idea of what I mean, there are twelve households on my street. On it, we have Latinos, Asians and Middle-easterners. There are Mormons (4 families), Catholics, Muslims and others I'm not sure of. There is a white family with an adopted Black daughter just a block away from me. We all get along well, not just to smile and say hello to each other, but actually to socialize together.
Not sure if you’re familiar with Nova but this reminds me a bit of Vienna or Reston in Nova. Thank you for sharing as this makes it look like a family friendly area with lots to do and gorgeous views which is a plus, I’m intrigued and looking forward to visit and discover the different areas. The recreation center is a huge plus! How does CH compare to Sugarhouse which is the other area that was recommended to me for diversity and walkability!

Old 01-27-2021, 03:27 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
That is refreshing but crazy to me to think that everything is a few minutes away. In the DC area, it’s typical to drive an hour or more to visit friends, go shopping or for entertainment purposes. I hate driving, so that is hugely attractive about SLT
LOL, Crazy to me too. I'm from NY area which is certainly even worse than DC. It was a real shock, though a welcome one, getting used to it. My sister in law, who lives in Seattle, likened going to the ski areas as "just like going to the grocery store!" That's a bit exaggerated but not much.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:36 PM

121 posts, read 190,590 times
Quote:
Funny enough, Santa Fe was my favorite out of these when I looked up the pictures online. What do you mean by ‘more drama’. Thanks for the info on schools, I will reach out to them when the time comes. To give you an idea on apartments, my friend who used to live in DC and then lived in Utah said based on the places I’ve lived in DC, he’d recommend his old building - Hardware Apartments. Brand new, amazing amenities, lots of young people, lots of community social events, really close to downtown area and music venues. Buses, trains and light rail really close by. He said it’s one of the more expensive places in the city, but it’s super comfortable and a great place to live while you’re getting to know the city. Thoughts?
Hardware is very nice, might be the highest end apartments in SLC. Also look at 4th West Apartments. They are right next door, have the same ownership group, but I believe are a little less expensive while still being very nice and new.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you’re familiar with Nova but this reminds me a bit of Vienna or Reston in Nova. Thank you for sharing as this makes it look like a family friendly area with lots to do and gorgeous views which is a plus, I’m intrigued and looking forward to visit and discover the different areas. The recreation center is a huge plus! How does CH compare to Sugarhouse which is the other area that was recommended to me for diversity and walkability!
While most of the homes in Cottonwood Heights were built starting in the early 1970s, most of the homes in Sugarhouse were built in the 1940s. Of course, if you'd be living in an apartment, that may not be a factor at all. It's just that the two areas have an entirely different vibe. While I love Cottonwood Heights, one plus for Sugar house is that it is considerably more walkable. Get from Sugarhouse to the Salt Lake's Light Rail (Trax) line is easier in Sugarhouse because there is a streetcar that goes through Sugarhouse to the Trax line, whereas in Cottonwood Heights, you'd have to drive to a Park & Ride lot if you wanted to take Trax to get downtown. Whenever you did want to go downtown, though, if you chose to drive, there is ample parking for a reasonable cost.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksman View Post
Hardware is very nice, might be the highest end apartments in SLC. Also look at 4th West Apartments. They are right next door, have the same ownership group, but I believe are a little less expensive while still being very nice and new.
I didn't know there were apartments in the old Salt Lake Hardware Building! How long have they been there?

Old 01-28-2021, 01:40 PM

I got the offers: SLC : $170K +15% and 25k stock, Redwood City: 200k +15% and $25k . I haven’t responded yet, thinking about negotiating the SLC salary higher. What do you guys think about that salary for SLC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area