Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 03:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times

Advertisements

Hello, planning first trip since before the pandemic began, to Salt Lake City this summer. Hoping to be fully vaccinated by then also, but of course, will also be taking every precaution either way. A few questions:

1. Staying at an AirBNB within a 5-10 minute walk of Temple Square, immediately to the north. Is that area relatively safe for walking, etc?

2. What are the best short hikes and drive view points within town? I've considered checking out the U on the hillside by Utah, the Living Room Trailhead, Ensign Peak, going nearby the Great Salt Lake itself, and going for a drive up Emigration Canyon, but welcome other ideas also.

3. Any particular good places with patio and/or outdoor dining in the downtown/near vicinity? I hear Red Iguana is really famous/iconic there, but how authentic/good is it actually?

4. Definitely an architecture/history/urban enthusiast by nature. Plan on checking out a number of more notable sites, any particularly worthwhile lesser known/hidden gems? Also considering the possibility of checking out a Real Salt Lake or Salt Lake Bees game if they are in town, or if they are allowing people again, checking out some of a Mormon Tabernacle practice performance.

5. This will be the front half of an overall 11 day trip. After we leave out from SLC, we will be heading over to meet my family in Bozeman, then continuing down into Yellowstone for 3.5 days, and Grand Teton/Jackson Hole for 2 days. Our last 2 days will be in Park City. Any particularly good recommendations for there? I am a movie buff, so being able to see specific sites or theatres connected with the Sundance Film Festival would be nice. Additionally, The Sandlot is probably my favorite movie from my childhood/one of my favorites in general. May hit the "site" where it was actually, though I understand it's basically just a dirt field in between houses and not at all in good shape, any other "Sandlot" lore in and around town (I know a number of other locations, houses, Liberty Park, etc. were in the vicinity.

Thanks all, look forward to seeing your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 06:57 AM

229 posts, read 217,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Hello, planning first trip since before the pandemic began, to Salt Lake City this summer. Hoping to be fully vaccinated by then also, but of course, will also be taking every precaution either way. A few questions:

1. Staying at an AirBNB within a 5-10 minute walk of Temple Square, immediately to the north. Is that area relatively safe for walking, etc?

2. What are the best short hikes and drive view points within town? I've considered checking out the U on the hillside by Utah, the Living Room Trailhead, Ensign Peak, going nearby the Great Salt Lake itself, and going for a drive up Emigration Canyon, but welcome other ideas also.

3. Any particular good places with patio and/or outdoor dining in the downtown/near vicinity? I hear Red Iguana is really famous/iconic there, but how authentic/good is it actually?

4. Definitely an architecture/history/urban enthusiast by nature. Plan on checking out a number of more notable sites, any particularly worthwhile lesser known/hidden gems? Also considering the possibility of checking out a Real Salt Lake or Salt Lake Bees game if they are in town, or if they are allowing people again, checking out some of a Mormon Tabernacle practice performance.

5. This will be the front half of an overall 11 day trip. After we leave out from SLC, we will be heading over to meet my family in Bozeman, then continuing down into Yellowstone for 3.5 days, and Grand Teton/Jackson Hole for 2 days. Our last 2 days will be in Park City. Any particularly good recommendations for there? I am a movie buff, so being able to see specific sites or theatres connected with the Sundance Film Festival would be nice. Additionally, The Sandlot is probably my favorite movie from my childhood/one of my favorites in general. May hit the "site" where it was actually, though I understand it's basically just a dirt field in between houses and not at all in good shape, any other "Sandlot" lore in and around town (I know a number of other locations, houses, Liberty Park, etc. were in the vicinity.

Thanks all, look forward to seeing your responses!
1. Yes that’s a walkable and safe area you should be fine getting right into downtown!
2. I would definitely suggest walking to city creek and going through memory grove park, it’s close to where you are staying. There are a lot of good hikes behind the U. I also suggest you drive up to Millcreek canyon, I go up there twice a week and love all the hikes up there. Look up the app “all trails” and you can every hike in the area with reviews.
3. Red rock has a huge patio that they converted from a parking lot for Covid. Hall pass at the gateway has a great patio in summer. Green pig pub has an awesome roof top patio. Some weekends all the restaurants and bars on Main Street get to expand their patios out into the street during Covid, I hope they do that again this summer. Some other ones: Arlo, Stanza, HSL, lake effect, caffe molise, Ginger Street, trio, cafe niche, east liberty tap house, and plenty in the sugarhouse are as well.
4. Check out Washington square to see the city county building and walk over to the library. There is also a walking history tour, if you google it you should find it. I think Katspur could help you a lot with this question.
5. Yeah the park is not much but you might as well go see it. I don’t know many other sites but I do know the pool scene was filmed in Ogden. Enjoy your trip and pm me if you have other questions!

Mike

Old 02-02-2021, 04:54 PM

32 posts, read 41,413 times
1) Immediately north of downtown is the Capitol Hill area. Very hilly, older neighborhood with charming Victorian homes. Definitely a safe area. Easy walk to the State Capitol Building, City Creek Canyon, and Memory Grove too. Definitely safe for walking, even at night. SLC doesn't typically have violent crime, especially between people that don't know each other. But there is higher property crime, especially with Covid and unemployment. Don't leave valuables in your car anywhere, including the mountains.

2) How long would you consider a short hike? And what are you wanting to see? There are literally hundreds of miles of hiking trails within an easy drive of downtown. Forests, waterfalls, alpine lakes, peaks, city views, etc. Also, which month will you be around? The Living Room and Ensign Peak are lower elevation trails in fully exposed sun. Great for spring, autumn, early morning or later evening, but not great midday options, as it will be a scorcher. There are much better drives than Emigration Canyon, though the top and looking down into Mountain Dell is nice. Big Cottonwood or Little Cottonwood Canyon have better scenery.

3) Caffe Molise has a nice patio. A new restaurant called The Ivy has a nice outdoor space downtown. Red Iguana is famous for their mole dishes. Get the sampler platter and go from there. Also, go the the original Red Iguana, not R.I.2. Same food, but the original is just a more charming and quirky interior than the large open space of their other building a couple of blocks away. Ruth's Diner is also a SLC classic and has a nice outdoor patio. Next to that is the fairly new Emigration Brewing, though they aren't brewing yet, only selling local beers and food.

4) SLC is really only a city with a population of 200,000 in the city limits. You probably already know the the main architectural sites. The city hasn't been great about preserving historical buildings either. South Temple was once a grand boulevard with homes like the Governor's Mansion (still there), but some notable homes have been bulldozed for ugly office spaces in the 60's-80's or earlier. A weird park is Gilgal Park with the prominent feature being a sphinx with Joseph Smith's head. Here is one option for historical self guided walking tour. https://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/hist...tour-4487.html

5) Park City walk Main Street. Visit Utah Olympic Park and Alf Engen Museum. Ride the bobsled if wanted, it's a rush. Alpine slide is fun. Take a chairlift to the top of Deer Valley overlooking Jordanelle. Which, if you want to rent a boat, jet ski, or SUP, this is a good place. The Egyptian Theater has the famous marquee for Sundance. They may be screening a film in town. Not sure if they'll be doing Silly Sunday Market, but that is something to look into. Sandlot is in the Glendale Neighborhood of SLC. Visit when you go to the Red Iguana. They're a couple of miles apart. Maybe also check out the International Peace Gardens in that area.

Here's another forum more geared towards Salt Lake tourism that you may get some additional insights. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...City_Utah.html

Old 02-16-2021, 01:49 PM

Thanks, berger12345 (Mike) and mountainlocal! I appreciate your feedback.

1. All Trails is super helpful and gives a number of good ideas! Also appreciate the insight on Memory Grove Park as that looks walkable from our place easily, and Millcreek Canyon looks gorgeous.

2. Thanks for all those patio ideas! Sounds like a number of good spots to eat, drink, etc.

3. https://preservationutah.org/images/...gTourGuide.pdf Lol, I found this! This is pretty comprehensive, but I am open to other resources either from you or from Katspur or anyone else. Some of the walking tour links I found were broken, but turns out there is a self guided audio app tour also, so that is nice! If there is a more "highlights style" walking tour (even if with a guide or small fee, I would consider going on one-I think walking tours really help you get to know a city well. I am open to any and every day as this is an area of passion.

4. Thanks, I may take you up on that more! Apparently High School Musical set in Salt Lake also, randomly enough..

5. Thanks for guidance on that! I figured it was pretty safe compared to many parts of US, even ones I regularly venture in as is-that said, it never hurts to ask if there are any no go zones. I guess South Salt Lake and the West Side are a bit more working class in nature, but nothing about street view at least would make me feel hesitant to hit certain places in those areas either (the Chinatown area, Red Iguana, etc.)

6. I could see myself doing a 1-3 hr. neighborhood hike with elevation gain up to 1500, if the payoff was enough. But for most of my family, I would say hopefully less than 800 feet of elevation gain and no more than about an hour would be defined that way. Traveling with a one year old, of course.

7. I'll consider Big or Little Cottonwood, and good to be aware heat can and will be a factor. Any particularly good midday ideas? I was thinking (and this might work anyways due to having a baby), of scheduling things from like 7-11 or so, and then from 3-7, with sort of a midday siesta on our travels in general. That said, I know driving, malls, museums, etc. can largely be done without issue, and also, being from FL, the heat won't be anything new.

8. Thank you for sharing that additional historical walking link! I will combine that with other lists and research I have done. I know it might not be a leading US city for that sort of thing, but I get the sense from research that I'll at least find enough to keep me interested for a couple days in Salt Lake (though, we have given a little bit of thought to heading out from Salt Lake midday on the 8th instead (we arrive at like 10 am on the 7th), so as to maybe go up towards Twin Falls and see the Snake River Canyon, Shoshone Falls, and maybe Golden Spike Park en route. We'll have to see.

9. Hadn't heard of the Alf Engen Museum but it looks like it's a part of the Olympic Park? Olympic Park looks very worthwhile to see when in Park City on way back down. Park City also looks like just a really cool place to hang out in general, even in summer. I would definitely consider doing the lift, bobsled, etc. Also, good to know that about Egyptian, as I really wasn't sure.

10. Thank you both, and anyone else who would like to share as well! I am excited about our visit and about the trip in general.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:41 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
>>snip<<
7. I'll consider Big or Little Cottonwood, and good to be aware heat can and will be a factor. Any particularly good midday ideas? I was thinking (and this might work anyways due to having a baby), of scheduling things from like 7-11 or so, and then from 3-7, with sort of a midday siesta on our travels in general. That said, I know driving, malls, museums, etc. can largely be done without issue, and also, being from FL, the heat won't be anything new.
Countless hikes up there, and a must-see. Check out the hikes around Brighton (see all-trails). It will be cool and pleasant. Then have lunch on the patio of the Silver Fork lodge. Beautiful views, crazy battling hummingbirds and good lunch fare. Can't go wrong. Much, much better than anything in Emigration canyon.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 AM

How close is Brighton and Big/Little Cottonwood to Park City? Would it maybe almost be easier to see that during our Park City leg or on the way from there to airport?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:25 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
How close is Brighton and Big/Little Cottonwood to Park City? Would it maybe almost be easier to see that during our Park City leg or on the way from there to airport?
Brighton and Solitude are both ski resorts up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Alta and Snowbird are ski resorts up Little Cottonwood Canyon. Both Canyons are within about a fifteen- to twenty-minute drive from downtown Salt Lake. They are, however, at the south end of the valley and not in the same area as I-80, which takes you to Park City. You can't get directly from Brighton to Alta without backtracking a bit (maybe 15 minutes worth of driving), but both canyons are worth seeing, if you have the time. If you go up Little Cottonwood Canyon to Snowbird, you can take the aerial tram up to the top of the mountain and then take it back down again. It's an experience you really shouldn't miss, as the views from 11,000 are breathtaking.

If you go up to Brighton (at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon), take a walk around Silver Lake (it's only about a mile long). The nice thing about going up Big Cottonwood Canyon is that there is a road that takes you from Brighton over the mountains to Park City. You'll go up to Guardsman's Pass, which is just under 10,000 feet and then go down over the other side of the mountain into Park City. That drive will take you only about twenty minutes. Park City is not to be missed.

This whole thing would make more sense if you had a map of the area. You can pick up a free one at the Salt Lake City Visitors Center downtown once you get here.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Brighton and Solitude are both ski resorts up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Alta and Snowbird are ski resorts up Little Cottonwood Canyon. Both Canyons are within about a fifteen- to twenty-minute drive from downtown Salt Lake. They are, however, at the south end of the valley and not in the same area as I-80, which takes you to Park City. You can't get directly from Brighton to Alta without backtracking a bit (maybe 15 minutes worth of driving), but both canyons are worth seeing, if you have the time. If you go up Little Cottonwood Canyon to Snowbird, you can take the aerial tram up to the top of the mountain and then take it back down again. It's an experience you really shouldn't miss, as the views from 11,000 are breathtaking.

If you go up to Brighton (at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon), take a walk around Silver Lake (it's only about a mile long). The nice thing about going up Big Cottonwood Canyon is that there is a road that takes you from Brighton over the mountains to Park City. You'll go up to Guardsman's Pass, which is just under 10,000 feet and then go down over the other side of the mountain into Park City. That drive will take you only about twenty minutes. Park City is not to be missed.

This whole thing would make more sense if you had a map of the area. You can pick up a free one at the Salt Lake City Visitors Center downtown once you get here.
That does make sense, however, even your description of being able to go up Guardsman's Pass really crystalizes things more in my mind. I plan to do that, as it sounds epic! I'm impressed that there is a lift so close to Salt Lake (Snowbird) that takes you as high as 11K. Really, that's amazing. Would you say that one at Snowbird is the most scenic aerial lift in the area exceeding most in Park City itself? Also, do most of the lifts run still during the summer or is it only a few specific ones? I saw that there's something called Town Lift that appears to run directly from Park City also. That sounds pretty neat.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
That does make sense, however, even your description of being able to go up Guardsman's Pass really crystalizes things more in my mind. I plan to do that, as it sounds epic! I'm impressed that there is a lift so close to Salt Lake (Snowbird) that takes you as high as 11K. Really, that's amazing. Would you say that one at Snowbird is the most scenic aerial lift in the area exceeding most in Park City itself? Also, do most of the lifts run still during the summer or is it only a few specific ones? I saw that there's something called Town Lift that appears to run directly from Park City also. That sounds pretty neat.
In summer the Park City draw is the "city" itself. It's very nice. Lots of galleries, restaurants etc etc though obviously touristy. But the ski area and mountains aren't in the same league as the Cottonwood canyons. In the Cottonwoods it's the majesty of nature that's the draw. The town lift gives you a nice view. The snowbird tram rewards you with a mindboggling alpine environment and jaw dropping views. Totally different things. There's nothing remotely like the Snowbird tram in PC. Or maybe even in the USA. And in summer there are countless alpine wildflower meadows worthy of National Geographic. That Snowbird (and Alta) is so close to a major metro area is very, very unique and hard to grasp until you've seen it.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 02-18-2021 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: forgot detail

Old 02-18-2021, 09:48 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
I've not actually been on any of the lifts in Park City. I can tell you, though, that the overall scenery up Parley's Canyon (where I-80 goes from Salt Lake until you get off the freeway at Kimball Junction to get to Park City) is nowhere near as spectacular as it is up either Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons. The elevation is not as high as in the Cottonwood Canyons. Park City itself is an amazing little town and the Olympic Park (right off Kimball Junction) is awesome. It's open to the public all year round and you can even take a bob sled ride in the summer. (This, of course, was pre-Covid-19; here's hoping things will be semi back to normal again by this summer.) Anyway, the scenery up Big and Cottonwood Canyons is more "alpine" than the scenery up Parley's canyon. I think you'd find the tram at Snowbird to be by far more impressive than anything of that sort that might be open in the summer at Park City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area