U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 40,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieroobear
Hi everyone! We are strongly considering moving to the Ogden area this summer... (We will be coming out and visiting next month). Can anyone give me a general overview of Ogden... is it a nice place for families? Where are the nice family-oriented neighborhoods? What about any of the neighboring towns (Roy, Riverdale, etc). I have a 1-year old as well as a 17 and 19 year old.

Thank you all so much! Any information or insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
just so that you know rancho does not exist here at all i dont know were cai to utah is really from but i can tell you there is not a rancho here or any such thing we are not beaches and barrs we are mountains/ family oriented/country even ogden exept for a small part i geus the guy from cali doesnt know that ogden utah just last year became the number one place to live beccause we have the best prices in schooling for all ages lots to do and a high moral standing i am only 26 but i can tell you this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 88,334 times
Default Thank you for all of your information!

I just wanted to thank you all for posting information about Ogden and the surrounding areas. It is very difficult to move from long distance but I'm hoping that a few visits out there, plus all of the information you have given me, will help us to make a decision.

Thanks again!!!

Maddieroobear (from Southern California)

P.S. Any inside information on Provo would be greatly appreciated as well!!!

Old 02-15-2006, 09:24 AM

378 posts, read 1,725,699 times
Provo can be a very strange place if you are not LDS (Mormon). I'm LDS and I still think it's weird! Homogentiety is the word of the day down there. Remember if you are looking for places to live in the Ogden area...only consider property near the east and north mountains (benches). The further west you go in ogden the worse it generally gets.....until you get into the country areas.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 32,245 times
Ok, so can anyone give me a run down of what utilities will cost in the Ogden area? Moving from Rancho Cucamonga, and I'm not used to living in the snow. I'm looking in the north Ogden area and will be moving there in the next 3 months.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafury
Ok, so can anyone give me a run down of what utilities will cost in the Ogden area? Moving from Rancho Cucamonga, and I'm not used to living in the snow. I'm looking in the north Ogden area and will be moving there in the next 3 months.
I grew up in North Ogden and I loved it! Just visted the parents this weekend. My parents have a wood burning stove so I can't resonably tell you what people typically pay. You have to factor in whether you are going to have a swamp cooler or central air in the summertime. Winters are cold here, but if you have a wood stove you'll save hundreds! Gas + Electric will probably run you 200-350 in the winter depending on how warm u want it.

The homes up there are much more reasonable than Salt Lake. There is a new development I drove around in Pleasant View (just west of N Ogden) called Jacob's Mill that was beautiful. The homes there were in the $330's w/ 3 car garages. The same homes in Salt Lake would easily go for $500's.

My wife was thinking about transfering down to Corona, Ca which in not far from Rancho if I'm not mistaken. The home prices down there were plain insane!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 32,245 times
Thanks shawn, Yes Corona is just on the other side of the valley from me. Im moving to Utah for just that reason. My mother lives in Huntsville and I like the area. So far I'm looking at places of N Harrison Blvd. However I'm not finding realestate agents very easy to deal with. Apparently if I'm not selling, I'm not worth the time. Suck oh well. Are thereplaces (streets etc.) that I should avoid?

Old 03-08-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafury
Are thereplaces (streets etc.) that I should avoid?
Basically the entire city of N Ogden and Pleasant View is safe and nice. The closer you get to ogden the "worse" it gets, but Ogden doesn't get shaddy until you get south of 12th street. Look for places along the benches and east side (east of Harrison BLVD). If you would like to have a bit of land and a more country feel, then you can look in Plain City and Farr West. These cities are also very safe! You are also near I-15 (the main corridor of Utah). A really nice home should be $350 and under in these areas. The same places in Corona would go for 650 - 1 mil easy.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:56 AM

14 posts, read 78,860 times
Let's face it, Ogden city proper is just not a nice place. True, the bench is fine, and north side, but you still have to go into Ogden. North Odgen is nice though. So is South Ogden. Davis county cities like Layton, Kaysville, and Farmington are MUCH better (and cost more). The schools are nice, and you will be pretty close to the Huntsville area too. You can take Hwy 89 to I-84 and avoid Ogden all together to visit your mom.

Provo is not a place I would recommend if you have not tried it out first, it's a little wierd. If you are not LDS, or want to live in the hispanic West side, you may not stay there long.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 43,628 times
Default Try North Ogden

I would not live in most places in Ogden, but if you want value, low crime, great schools, and views to die for, try North Ogden or Pleasant View. You can read some of my other postings about the area. It is an amazing place to raise your kids. North Ogden has some of the lowest crime in the nation and average cost of living.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 16,125 times
Smile South Weber

In response to living in ogden- I live in South Weber (which is -surprise- a little south of Odgen). South Weber is a nice little community- I'd say solidly middle class with homes ranging 160,000+ some will even have 1/2 acre+ lots. The public school system is adequate- private school is pricey. South Weber is very close to Weber State University, Hill AFB, Highway 84 and 89 for access to I-15 for Salt Lake City- I commute about 40 minutes to downtown Salt Lake. This is a predominately LDS community but not being a member has not posed a problem.

Utah is a beautiful, clean place where people really seem to enjoy the outdoors- hiking, biking, fishing- the works. Having lived in Louisiana, Rhode Island and traveling all over the place the one draw back is being land locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or