U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:52 PM

9 posts, read 43,619 times

Advertisements

Honestly, consider North Ogden or Pleasant View. Great schools, LOW crime (North Ogden is one of the lowest crime rates in the US), moderate cost of living, and views to die for. I live here right now and we love it. Feel free to contact me for more info. I have a kid in elementary, Jr. High, and High School. Have lived here since 2,000. Don't know that I'll ever want to move away. A different house, maybe. Different town, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 AM

16 posts, read 92,207 times
I am shocked at how many people are moving (or considering) to SLC area. My biggest worry is I am not LDS nor will I ever be LDS and I wonder how that will affect my ability to be accepted socially. I have read a lot of posts and it seems to be a issue in some areas but not all. How do I find out before I move? People can smile and say hello on the few weekend trips I am there, but what happens when I become a neighbor?

Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,989,043 times
First of all, I think many people move here and like it, but there are a vocal few who don't. That means you have to determine why those people don't like it and see if you are similar to them. I get the impression that they feel like their LDS neighbors are too busy or purposely exclude them. I don't think that's usually the case, but that's the impression they get. I think their expectations were of a more vibrant social life.

I will say that when we lived near Washington DC, we barely knew our neighbors (more than to just say "hi" in passing) because everyone was so busy. So my expectations were not high.

However within a month of moving here, we were invited to a block BBQ. Then a block halloween party, and a block fourth of July BBQ. All houses were invited irrespective of religion.

Just a couple of weeks ago, the we had another block BBQ. Six invited houses were LDS families, and three were not. I think all six LDS households came, 1 non-LDS household came, 1 non-LDS cancelled at the last minute because they were sick, and 1 non LDS did not RSVP.

Lastly, not everyone is LDS. Salt Lake City is itself only 50 percent LDS. So even if you are worried about the mix, you can move to a place with more diversity.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 87,881 times
Hi My husbands work is thinking of relocating us to Utah. When I first heard I was really excited and still mostly am....We do have 3 girls 5,10 and 14 and I really want what best for them. We are in St Petersburg,FL and they are doing great. But Id love to shoqw them seasons and colder weather. Reading the posts here Im kinda affraid they may not fit in. We are Catholic and not looking to convert. When I was growing up in Walnut Creek Ca one of our neighbors was LDS and they were wonderful to me. I even went to church with them and all sorts of fun stuff. We are lokking in Logan, Pleasant View, and North Ogden....How likely is it for the girls to have a hard time making friends?? Im imagining this great place to raise happy kids and I keep reading how not nice some of the kids can be. That makes me sad. I so want to move and have everyone be happy. Please help me with my decision.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM

58 posts, read 168,042 times
There seems to be a log of negative comments about Ogden. I am from Southern Cal, and bought a vacation place in Ogden. I love the area! There is great hiking right near my place. I like historic 25th street. There's the dinosaur park, some good restaurants, and I am only 15-20 minutes from two of the best ski resorts in Utah. I am not sure where all this negative feedback is coming from. Have you been to the area? It's amazing that prices are so cheap in Ogden. I do not think prices will stay so low.

The new commuter rail from Ogden to SLC should be completed late 2007 or early 2008. That will be great, only 30 minutes to downtown SLC. And there's a river front development in the works.

I think Ogden will become a destination in the not too distant future.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 PM

132 posts, read 632,128 times
Wink Ogden

Thanks for the Ogden info. Appreciate any locals who live IN Ogden to chime in as well.

Hubby & I were told by a Utahn on our trip that most of us 'outsiders' move on the outskirst of it if still in Ogden area, like East of Harrison or South of 12th. And someone posted that very same info here as well. So, it must be certain areas are safest or best overall for young families moving in, as with most metro areas. He said Layton is also a very popular area, as well as Kaysville, or north of Ogden, etc. Syracuse is a area building fast now, too.

IF my hubby is even offered enough salary to live there, which we're most concerned about right now, then those are all teh areas we'll be looking at seriously. Sure enjoyed being there in person!! Dreamy views! And so helpful to actually drive around and see where you feel safe or not while traveling thru.

And yes, really liked the Historic 25th Street. So many restaurants to try there! And the train museum right there, and the Visitor's Bureau in that building, too. Yep, regardless where someone chooses to live, at least we know there's definitely lots of great, fun things in Ogden that we'd be doing:

Ice skating, a nature museum, the dinosaur park, very cool restaurants like the Prairie Schooner. (Look it up online - it's so cool & delicious food! The whole theme is felt from the moment you walk in the door. ) They have the annual hot air balloon fest, and a children's museum or two, and much more. I heard from someone there how are in the process of reviving the town and making it a great tourist hotspot. Hope it works out for them! Anything's possible.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Smile added comment..

Meant to add: So, at least for us, from what everyone's told us and driving around, we'd love to live in cities either just north or just south of Ogden, but still be able to go there and enjoy some of their restaurants and museums as well. Then, we'd get the best of both worlds.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:33 PM

119 posts, read 776,545 times
There's a lot of places that are worse than Ogden. It's not that bad. Depends where you are in Ogden. South Ogden is nice.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:57 AM

1,804 posts, read 6,989,043 times
Default I just deleted the post above ...

because it was copyrighted. I did check though, and posting on-topic links is allowed, so here is the link to the same article:

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium...Ogden0302.html

Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Default ooops - typo

I had said a local Utahn told us that for outsiders moving to Ogden, Utah area, that they tend to move 'south' of 12th. That was a typo, as it should say, NORTH of 12th. Just looked at a map, and realized the mixup. NORTH of 12th starts getting closer towards Harrisville and North Ogden. Hope I got that right now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I posted about the annual 'Ogden' Hot Air Balloon Fest. I thought it was based in Ogden, because it's listed as the 'Ogden' Valley Balloon Fest. haha. But when looking that up, found out it's actually based out of Eden, Utah. At least Eden is not far away at all, and a very beautiful area to have the fest at.

Last edited by mountainfaith; 01-22-2007 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or