Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 05:10 PM

27,881 posts, read 29,685,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Does smog from the SLC inversion actually hurt the eyes? Make breathing very difficult at times for some or even most?

Or is it mostly an aesthetic thing, but with few immeduate harmful effects to one's everyday health? Long term health: who really knows, right?

Is the inversion a more recent phenomenon, maybe only the past 30-50 years or so? Maybe due to too much growth and population?

Do some runners and golfers decide to not go outside when it's at its worst?

Honestly, it really varies from person to person. It goes without saying that the air quality during an inversion is not healthy -- for anybody. Some people really do suffer health issues because of it. Others don't. My mother, who lived in Salt Lake until she died at 96 had asthma, but the bad air didn't seem to exacerbate it much, if at all. My nephew who is in his early 30s and has Cystic Fibrosis has lived here all his life and been reasonable healthy as long as he uses good judgment about how much he is outdoors during an inversion. I'm 73 and haven't noticed that my health has suffered at all from it, but I do really hate how it makes the valley look all mucky. Yes, it has gotten worse over the years. As to whether runners and golfers go outside when it's at its worst, some probably do, but when it's at its worst, there's probably going to be snow on the ground so the golf courses will be closed. If they were open, my husband would be playing 365 a year, regardless of the bad air, and he's 79.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 08:52 AM

120 posts, read 164,933 times
To me it sounds like Reno would be a good fit. It has tons of breweries and nightlife, cleaner air and less inversions than Salt Lake, cost of living there is comparable to SLC and it has a nightlife scene.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:56 PM

3,001 posts, read 2,133,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Does smog from the SLC inversion actually hurt the eyes? Make breathing very difficult at times for some or even most?

Or is it mostly an aesthetic thing, but with few immeduate harmful effects to one's everyday health? Long term health: who really knows, right?

Is the inversion a more recent phenomenon, maybe only the past 30-50 years or so? Maybe due to too much growth and population? Or maybe it would occur even in a sparse population?

Do some runners and golfers decide to not go outside when it's at its worst?
You need to do your research and not rely on internet or anecdotal sources. Here are some useful links from some qualified sources:Read some of that, think about it and research some more if you are concerned.

PS: I noticed late that this is an old thread. Hopefully the above will be relevant to someone in the future.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,227 times
Default Thats a nope on Boise fi your young and single

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Boise isn't exactly a place young people move for nightlife. It strikes me that the uniqueness you refer to is far more prevalent in the LDS-rich suburbs than SLC itself. SLC does not lack for craft breweries, typical single life, and recreational drugs. And there's the added benefit of outdoor rec opportunities far better & closer than your other suggestions.
I recently moved to Boise. There are two kinds of "young" groups here. Either you're a student at BSU or in your mid 20s and starting a family. Nightlife options are limited to mindlessly drinking at Breweries or clubbing till 2 am with students/kids.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:55 PM

817 posts, read 608,166 times
Outside of coastal cities, desperate single mothers and women married young/out of high school seems to be the norm, so it's basically hell if you're a single guy in your 30s. OP mentioned hating LA but it's the best place to be. Denver has many fit, gorgeous women but they are cliquish/snobby, hard to break into their social circles. Salt Lake City is the worst if you're a single guy, most of the women in the city are either gay or are straight and already married since like 18. Slim pickings

Last edited by NearFantastica; 04-22-2022 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-22-2022, 05:14 PM

9,333 posts, read 6,872,771 times
My coworker is 30, divorced/single dad, and lives in Lehi. He's on tinder and gets dates nearly every weekend. He's NoMo and never has an issue getting dates.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
My coworker is 30, divorced/single dad, and lives in Lehi. He's on tinder and gets dates nearly every weekend. He's NoMo and never has an issue getting dates.
Lehi is an emerging tech hub and has more transplants, a small city but still better than SLC.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:30 AM

2,617 posts, read 6,985,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Outside of coastal cities, desperate single mothers and women married young/out of high school seems to be the norm, so it's basically hell if you're a single guy in your 30s. OP mentioned hating LA but it's the best place to be. Denver has many fit, gorgeous women but they are cliquish/snobby, hard to break into their social circles. Salt Lake City is the worst if you're a single guy, most of the women in the city are either gay or are straight and already married since like 18. Slim pickings
Baloney, at least as far as SLC goes. Not sure where you're getting your info. This suggests that you don't actually live here.

In any case, if you're into outdoor recreation it's GREAT place for young transplants of either sex, probably the best in the country. The rock climbing, cycling, skiing and mountaineering communities are disproportionately comprised of transplants from all over the place. They all come here for the same reason - unmatched access to world-class outdoor stuff in a metro area where you can actually work a real job with a real airport, ethnic markets, etc etc. Very different from living in Jackson or Telluride for example. Ditto Denver (and CO Front Range in general), where recreational access is far, far worse than SLC despite the hype. In fact, the young adult outdoor community is packed with transplants from the Front Range cause real world access is so much worse there. And all these young transplants have been through the same thing, so these communities are very open and welcoming to newcomers. The key is involvement in an active lifestyle. If you are then you'll love it, no place better. If you're a slug, however, it would indeed be tough. But that would be true anyplace else as well.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:41 PM

3,001 posts, read 2,133,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Such a sexist and uninformed post and poster! I can understand the hell meeting women; it'd be hell for any woman meeting the such sexist men. That you consider yourself sufficiently informed about the 'women outside the coastal cities' and dismiss them is illuminating about your level of intelligence.

I am relieved you are in Lehi and not in Salt Lake City. Personally, I'd not be caught dead in Lehi.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Baloney, at least as far as SLC goes. Not sure where you're getting your info. This suggests that you don't actually live here.
Spent 8 months in SLC and surrounding areas in 2017, and that's exactly what I saw. A huge female LGBT population in the city core mixed in with other young women who were already married with tons of kids, it's even worse in the surrounding conservative areas with the women married+kids mormon population. Add in the fact that there's more men than women and you have a disastrous dating pool. For a single guy, SLC and the intermountain west in general is pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area