U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM

702 posts, read 1,805,133 times

Advertisements

Ok so my son will be attending a year round school and I don't understand how all that works. Could someone inform me of that. The way the school system explains it to me it sounds like they are out of school more then they are in..lol...also is there any public pools around (South Jordan) area??? Anyone can recommend a nice daycare for before and after school as well would be great. I am looking at Kindercare just because I know its not religious based and its nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM

273 posts, read 1,134,649 times
Where in South Jordan do you live? I am familiar mostly with the areas in and around Daybreak. Kindercare might be your best bet if you are looking for "commercial" care. Otherwise, there are many stay-at-home moms that do babysitting or daycare work. You might want to ask your neighbors for referrals.

The South Jordan Rec Center on Redwood Road (approx 11200 south) has a terrific pool. The prices are very reasonable too. Also, Riverton has a public outdoor pool too, I believe. It is east of Redwood on 12400 South. Daybreak's new swimming pool opened yesterday but is only open to Daybreak residents and their guests. It is free for residents.

The Jordan School District practices year round school in most (but not all) of its elementary schools. You will find it prevails in the newer areas that have higher elementary enrollment. Junior and senior high schools use a traditional schedule. For the year round schedule, there are four "tracks", A,B,C, and D. Each track is "on track" for 9 weeks, then "off track" for 3 weeks. So there are always three tracks in session with one out. This allows for 33% more students to attend each school. There are also some common breaks around Christmas and during July where all students are off.

The biggest drawback to this system would be the requirement to find daycare during the "off track" periods if both parents work. The South Jordan recreation department offers "off track" camps and is fairly reasonable with its prices.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 AM

I live in Sterling Village (townhomes). I know the development has another name but I'm not sure what it is. The only problem I'm finding is the people around here aren't very friendly and it seems like the mothers stay home. I have yet to see any school aged children. My son will be going into 1st grade. I am going to get a job and my husband works full time. My only issue with the stay at home mom is the situation where I don't know anyone. Thanks for the info on the pools Do you know of any non religious private schools??

Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM

273 posts, read 1,134,649 times
There is a new Catholic private school that is opening this fall on 118th South, east of Bangerter. There is also a well-established school at a Methodist Church in Sandy on 106th, not real far from you. But I guess we couldn't consider them "non-religious". Probably your best bet would be to try to locate a charter school. They are privately-run, publicly-funded schools, and should therefore have a non-religion based curriculum. I know one is in the works in Daybreak, but I am not sure if there are any others in or around South Jordan. You might want to try a Google search, or go to the Jordan School District website: Jordan School District.

And you will definitely want to visit the South Jordan Rec Center. Your first grader will love their pools. Lots of fountains, slides, and a lazy river too.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,913,653 times
Challenger schools are supposed to be awesome...pricey, but awesome!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:23 PM

I am going to call Challenger and see what its all about ..thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,913,653 times
Glad to help. Hope they are what you are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area