Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,833 times

Advertisements

In following up on my post about finding a property with a good lot size, I found a number of properties in the community of Taylorsville. So what is Taylorsville like? I see on a map it is close to the Jordan River. Is this in a flood plain? What about crime in the area? How about diversity, both religious and racial.

Thanks,

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,672 times
Taylorsville is ok, not great. I go there sometimes for movies, restaurants etc.

The Good
-- Relatively central location, especially for a commute to the U
-- Cheaper home prices

The Bad
-- Traffic isn’t the best, especially on surface streets (infrastructure hasn’t kept up with growth). If you have easy access to the freeways, it should be decent. In any case, probably better than Vegas
-- Crime – I see quite a few news reports about problems in Taylorsville, but I don’t know that it’s a city-wide problem. Maybe survey prospective neighbors.

Don’t know about the flood plain question. I really wouldn’t worry about the whole diversity issue. Trust me, any place in SL Valley has a mix of people.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 42,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
In following up on my post about finding a property with a good lot size, I found a number of properties in the community of Taylorsville. So what is Taylorsville like? I see on a map it is close to the Jordan River. Is this in a flood plain? What about crime in the area? How about diversity, both religious and racial.

Thanks,

John

I don't like Taylorsville. I went to the Walmart there and saw a group of gangsters steal a bunch of movies from the Hollywood video store. I also seen some steal a bunch of fireworks from a firework stand. Plus my cousin was murdered in that area.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 12,521 times
It depends on where in Taylorsville if you go west of redwood road it is scary. Right by the parkway is a nice area. We live on the border in Murray and I like both areas.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,137 times
Default Taylorsville

Hi John, I just read your question about Taylorsville. I am not sure when it was posted...maybe you have since moved on. Anyway, I have lived in Taylorsville for 38 years. We raised our family here & really like it. The schools, particularly the elementary schools are very well rated. Eisenhower Jr High has had it's problems but I think they have been cleaned up. I read comments like....somebody was murdered here & I watched gang members steal from blockbuster video, etc., & I think that people are very narrow minded. Unfortunately, murders now occur everywhere & gangs are everywhere & stealing goes on everywhere. I work in Sandy, which some think is wonderful too, but we have our offices here (& these are NICE offices) broken into about twice a year, there are gang members that "haunt" the premises too, & there are also murders & robberies. My advice would be to ask neighbors what their experiences are & look @ the whole picture for yourself. In our particular neighborhood in Taylorsville, West Valley City officials have looked at it specifically to see why we have such a low crime rate! As to flood plain, I have never heard that this is a flood plain, however we are having a little trouble this year with some moisture in one spot in our basement, has never happened before so am not sure exactly what is going on.

Good Luck! kakubah

Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,993 times
I work in the security industry. The general scoop is....if you can avoid living in Rose Park, Glendale, West Valley City and Taylorsville and the Central City (near downtown) area you'll be basically fine. Those are the worst of the worst. Just look at crime statistics on the net. Pretty ugly.........don't go there.......

Old 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM

228 posts, read 740,252 times
I currently live in Taylorsville and as per location it is in a good location being centralized in the valley. However therer are a lot of low income homes (old 70's HUD homes) which are ugly as hell through out the area. Same problem in areas in Sandy. In addition I have been robbed twice in this area and currently am selling my condo to get the hell out. I wont live west of I-15 again except maybe in South Jordan, Draper, Riverton or Herriman.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Smile East of Bangerter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar31 View Post
It depends on where in Taylorsville if you go west of redwood road it is scary. Right by the parkway is a nice area. We live on the border in Murray and I like both areas.
I would agree with allstar31 with a couple of additional comments. It also depends on how far south or north. The southern part of Taylorsville I don't think is quite as bad as the more northern part.

It is kind of strange how some homes in that area are in Taylorsville. Then a few blocks are listed as Salt Lake City. Could drive one a little batty.

I'd try to stay east of Bangerter Highway too.

Redwood Road tends to draw a lot of the kids with nothing to do.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area