U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2008, 11:27 AM

27 posts, read 87,317 times

Advertisements

I have visited your beautiful city both on business and pleasure now that my son has moved here, and noticed there appears to be a growing large homeless population. It seems more so in the area of the Gateway Mall and the large park near the Hamptonn Inn where we usually stay. We tried a little walking tour of that area and up towards the Temple Sq. and were approached at each block by folks asking for money. Some were very forceful and verbally abusive when we refused, as it was obvious they intended to use for alcohol and not food. Is the city addressing this, or am I just imagining things. We are from Boston, and that is also an issue, naturally, as in most cities. Thanks. Justs want to be safe and not tred in dangerous regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
I don't know that it is growing, but it certainly is there. The shelters near Pioneer Park (near the Gateway) kick people out during the day, unless they have a "medical bed," so there is nowhere to go except the surrounding streets.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-10-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,558,580 times
It is a big problem downtown. I think in part it might be because of the big influence of the LDS church and people take advantage of the members kindness. Either way the city has addressed the problem even gone so far as to say not to give anything to these people. The police have investigated many and found them to leave in fancy cars to fancy homes at the end of a "homeless" day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area