U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,437,962 times
Default In what way has SLC changed in 25 years?

I grew up in the SLC during the 80s as a non-Mormon. All the LDS stereotype things mentioned on the forum here actually did happen to me as a child, but it sounds like it's not as stiflingly homogenous now as it was back then.

It's interesting reading about how SLC is changing and I'm curious - to those who have lived there 20+ years - what changes have you seen?

I was there last year for a quick weekend visit and didn't have a car so wasn't able to explore much. What impressed me, as an adult now, was the cleanliness of the downtown (though absolutely DEAD on the weekend) and the new light rail. I snagged a free shuttle ride from the airport in exchange for touring the Temple grounds and all the staff/missionaries there were so friendly it was like being in Stepford. Lots of hellos and smiles. I got a kick out of the swill beer for sale in the grocery store, and the whole membership deal at the bars - I've kept my temporary membership card as a souvenir. I was able to tour the Summum grounds/pyramid - what's the community vibe on that place? Getting around on foot is exhausting and impractical - the city blocks are grossly oversized and the streets really wide - I know that dates back to the settlers making streets wide enough for a horse & carriage to turn around. I asked a local about the Sandy/Draper area - there used to be a waterslide park down there at Point of the Mtn - he said it's all been replaced by cookie-cutters. I was able to check out Oktoberfest up at Snowbird (as I did many times as a child because my father is German) at Snowbird hasn't changed one bit. I thought that was pretty cool. I've learned here at CD that the homes in the neighborhood where I grew up (Pepperwood) are now going for half a million - crazy, because I think my parents finally dumped our house for a loss at $175k or something just to sell it after SIX YEARS on the market. In the 80s, EVERYTHING was closed on Sundays - still that way?

So what other changes have occurred in the valley, both with the development and with the people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,300,581 times
Here's what I can tell you from being here 13 years (not quite the 20, but close enough).

-There are plenty more immigrants (some illegal) from south of the border. As a result, we are a bit more "cultured" (we actually have a Mexican Civic Center west of the Gateway), as well as an increase in crime (from what I've heard in the news. Reports of murders, homicides and the like IMO have increased) unfortunately.
-As a result of the new immigration (from outside the country and otherwise), 50% of the population in the city is Mormon, and that's declining steadily. Also, a lot of LDS Californians are relocating here. As a result of this new population: urban sprawl. Draper and northern Utah County are almost next to each other, as in the gap in population between say Alpine and Draper is closing in. Also, you have Daybreak in the Jordans, bunch of new development on the southwestern portion of Davis County, etc. etc.
-In a practical standpoint, transportation is greatly improving. In case you didn't notice, they redid I-15 in the late 90's as well as a part of SR 201. They are now redoing I-80 and making a brand-new freeway, the Legacy Parkway. Also, we've got a commuter train to Ogden (Provo in the mid-2010s), TRAX to the Jordans in 2011, West Valley 2013 (?), the Draper extension and Airport line following soon-after.
-Downtown has the Gateway, on the west side of the Delta Center... I mean, the EnergySolutions Arena Without it, Downtown would absolutely have no life to it on the weekends (I see you've noticed that that hasn't changed much, sadly)
-That whole "membership" fiasco is up in the legislature (I think) and hopefully will be done with soon
-Sundays, ehhh, kinda still the same, except you can find chain restaurants open on Sundays (Chili's, TGI) and malls are open, albeit sorta empty. The Liquor Store is still closed on Sunday

Overall, even in 10 years, Salt Lake City has changed, definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area