Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,902 times

Advertisements

the earthquake risk in SLC is so much above the national average, does the earthquake really happen that often here? do u experience the shake every year and which month of the year? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
We have very small earthquakes that don't do much damage once in a while, but Salt Lake City is overdue for a large earthquake and the "Big One" is expected to happen within the next 50 years.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
There are small, not felt, earthquakes almost every day. See the USGS or the U's web sites for more infp.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 AM

494 posts, read 1,897,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
the earthquake risk in SLC is so much above the national average, does the earthquake really happen that often here? do u experience the shake every year and which month of the year? thanks.
About a year ago I felt an earthquake. Other than that, you usually won't feel them. Due to the number of faults in the State, a large earthquake is overdue.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:06 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
We have very small earthquakes that don't do much damage once in a while, but Salt Lake City is overdue for a large earthquake and the "Big One" is expected to happen within the next 50 years.
So comforting! I'll be living in a brick house not terribly far from the fault. I've heard this, but I've also heard it could be 100 years or 200 years or more... They have a hard time making accurate long term predictions with these things, just like CA has been due for "the big one". But I guess the concern with Wasatch is that they don't get all the medium to small quakes that CA gets to release pressure, so it could just be building...

Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
So comforting! I'll be living in a brick house not terribly far from the fault. I've heard this, but I've also heard it could be 100 years or 200 years or more... They have a hard time making accurate long term predictions with these things, just like CA has been due for "the big one". But I guess the concern with Wasatch is that they don't get all the medium to small quakes that CA gets to release pressure, so it could just be building...
I was just reading about this. It said a huge one hits about every 350 years and that it does tend to be very bad b/c, as you said, there are not many medium ones to release pressure...I forget how long ago the last big one was...

Old 07-21-2008, 02:52 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I was just reading about this. It said a huge one hits about every 350 years and that it does tend to be very bad b/c, as you said, there are not many medium ones to release pressure...I forget how long ago the last big one was...
We haven't had a big one since before the pioneers came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
There was a story in the news a few months ago about the earthquake and they estimated that the earthquake would cause a tidal wave from the Great Salt Lake to cover most of Weber and Davis county. Here is a link to a story the Deseret News wrote in 2006 that estimated what could happen if an earthquake hits here:
Deseret News | It's 2008 — and 'the big one' slams Utah

Old 07-21-2008, 04:14 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,335 times
Knowbody knows when or where one will happen. But unless your standing next to a hundred year old brick wall you don't have much to worry about.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,804 times
As a native southern Californians who has lived through many earthquakes, small, large and huge, here is my take.

The problem in Utah, and probably other states too, is that they have not prepared for a major earthquake in the way that CA has..overpasses and bridges in CA have or will be retrofitted. There are a couple interstate overpasses here in Washington County that make me cringe when I go under them, skinny little pilars holding the overpass up. Building codes are not the same, lots of brick, yep when a big one hits there is going to be lots of damage, etc...

It's just a matter of the state being pro active and what i can see, they have not. Now our house is pretty new, built well...It's stucco, not brick, it will be fine..

Just prepare, get your supplies ready, by the time you figure out it's an earthquake they are usually over.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,335 times
I have to admit I was thinking in terms of growing up in Southern California when I wrote of the brick wall. Everything built in California is built to codes designed expressly for the possibility of a 7.0+. While it's not foolproof it's at least a serious and constant effort. And what hasn't been up to standard in the past is retrofitted or torn down. I walk around Cedar City and see old brick retail buildings literally broken in half and settling but still open. In fact a 6.0 quake in Cedar would probably kill and injure more people than a 7.0 in all of Los Angeles. Utah runs on a shoestring. And you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area