Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 13,765 times

Advertisements

My husband's job may be transferring us to Utah soon. I have done a lot of research and I have been reading these message boards, but I do need some information.

We want to rent an apartment first when we arrive before we jump in to buying a house. We have three grown children, one of which may come with us, but we also have a four year old who will start school next year.

I need to know which areas are safe, have affordable rent (600-1200 per mo.) for a three bedroom and has good elementary schools. I also need some guidance in a job hunt for me. I work as an office manager and I have 15 years experience. I also have a degree as a paralegal, though no legal experience. I just don't know where to start looking.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,598 times
Sterling Village apartments in South Jordan appear to be very nice. I live in the same development but not the apartments. You may want to google them. Supposingly the schools are great in South Jordan. My son is 6 and he will be attending there, well actually a Sandy school until next year when the boundaries change.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Can't help with your questions, but welcome to SLC! It's a great climate, both for weather and families.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:40 AM

153 posts, read 563,671 times
What part of Utah is he transfering to? That makes a difference. There's good areas and not so good areas (I dont think theres any bad areas, as far as comparison to big cities).

There are pretty good resources, but knowing which county/area will be helpful

Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 AM

550 posts, read 2,168,242 times
There are definitely bad areas in the city: example, Poplar Grove and Glendale.

But it all depends where exactly you're settling

Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 PM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
I have family in SLC, but haven't lived there in many years. I really just know the 84105/84108 area (closer in to downtown, the older neighborhoods with lovely homes and great schools - although real estate values just popped, wow!).A few resources I like for comparing schools include GreatSchools.net and Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.. There are others, but these are my picks.In terms of jobs, I personally find more looking at individual companies than going through, say, the big search engines. In other words, go to the websites of some companies you like and click on their employment links. You could also try craigslist - your paralegal degree combined with office manager experience should really help. If you have been working within a particular industry (let's say health care or steel or whatever). Then you can do a little bit of research into some of the good companies in the area and go from there. Again, I just am a little bit skeptical of the big job search engines.good luck and keep everyone posted!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
I'd suggest north Davis Co. Hill AFB is in Layton, so there is alot (comparitively speaking) more diversity in the area. You're likely to find housing in your range, and if you don't find work in that area commuting to either SLC or Ogden isn't too far (and there is the new frontrunner train, and new highway soon). Davis schools have good reputation, though some come much more recommended than others.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 16,631 times
Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4logic View Post
My husband's job may be transferring us to Utah soon. I have done a lot of research and I have been reading these message boards, but I do need some information.

We want to rent an apartment first when we arrive before we jump in to buying a house. We have three grown children, one of which may come with us, but we also have a four year old who will start school next year.

I need to know which areas are safe, have affordable rent (600-1200 per mo.) for a three bedroom and has good elementary schools. I also need some guidance in a job hunt for me. I work as an office manager and I have 15 years experience. I also have a degree as a paralegal, though no legal experience. I just don't know where to start looking.

Thanks in advance for any help!
In the south of Utah, the rent is lower near Arizona, but life is convenient in North Utah. Most African Americans move to Salt Lake, Utah. Because of three reason, Salt Lake is diverse city and transportation is convenient and more jobs in Salt Lake. Utah is extremely careful who they hired, and always want the best candidate for the job, extremely careful who they hire, and the job market is a competitive job market. However, there are lots of apartments in Salt Lake City and you will have no problem finding an apartment. I hope this help you. Read my post on Utah.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
This thread is over 7 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area