Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,505 times

Advertisements

hi, we are new to SLC. is 84120 a good place to live?and in there too some nice decent areas?any asian stores around this place? we wud appreciate the answers. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:56 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
I think 84120 is around the West Valley fitness center. The area around the fitness center is pretty new, built in the last 10 years or so. There are Asian stores on Redwood road between 2100 S. and 4100 S.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:10 AM

53 posts, read 147,364 times
I live in West Valley and have all my life. There are a lot of nice areas in West Valley. I live in a nice area. The area around the Fitness Center, 5600 W., and beyond, is a very nice area. It is a new area.

84120 is the area my parents, my husband's parents, and some in-laws live. It's the area I grew up in. It's not a bad area, but it's an older area for the most part and close to Bangerter Highway. The value of homes aren't as good there as in in the area I live.

But there are some nice areas, even new ones. If I had to live in West Valley (which I do, still, for now) I would live in the 84128 zip code. It's better, in general.

Yes, there are Asian stores and restaurants around. West Valley is probably the most diverse city in Utah, which is something I really love about it.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM

53 posts, read 147,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starskinhutch View Post
It would take a lot to get me to move into VWC. It's kind of scarry just driving through. It is one of the least expensive areas in the county but for good reason. If you are looking at it for budget concerns then I would look at the towns just north of Salt Lake county. They are nice, newly developed, much safer, and quite a bit less expensive than similar areas in Salt Lake County. Same thing for some of the towns south of Salt Lake County.

I live in Daybreak. You get less house for the money there but for the lifestyle and all the amenities, it is well worth it. Because it is a master planned community, you are ensured that the place won't go to pot in 20-30 years like happens to many new developments.
You must be from on the East side. West Valley is not scary.

BTW, Daybreak is one of the places we're looking to move to as soon as my husband gets his MBA, this winter, and gets the job to match it.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,669 times
No place around here is scary..some people in Utah really need to experience life outside this state...there are other areas in the United States that are scary..I did come from MD ...highest murder rate in the US....BALTIMORE...here u just have idiots that stab each other because someone cut the other off

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times
Are South Jordan and Riverton considered part of the "West Valley"? Because those places are nice aren't they?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 11,664 times
At

Old 10-13-2008, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,664 times
At one time they pushed a slogan "Best Valley City"....what the @#$#@%&$..That didn't get very far,(but they tried) as for me, it's a hiddeous place.There's no infastructure of the city.Do they even have a downtown?? I think city officials are scrabbling the best they can,to ensure a diverse, multicultural vibrant city with the construction,or re-construction of the Valley-Fair Mall.....But with no real stand-out restruants,like what you have in Salt Lake, & Sandy,you've got a long ways to go.The crime is rediculous,with all the gangbang'n goin on out there,turn on the evening news,you'll see what I mean.35 th south is unbearable to drive on.There's absolutly no vibrance there.The block on which the E-Center is on, with the Halle-Theater,has the best potential (in my eyes)in establishing a core, for West Valley......I'm hopefull with the constuction of the mall, and the introduction of light-rail, We could see the groth of a MAJOR-CITY,to rival Ogden,Sandy-Draper,Provo-Orem,in the not too distant future........salt-lake-4life!!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Are South Jordan and Riverton considered part of the "West Valley"? Because those places are nice aren't they?
South Jordan and Riverton are farther south. They aren't part of west valley eve though they are on the west side of the greater salt lake valley.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:06 AM

222 posts, read 877,571 times
I think the big question is what does your budget afford. I don't know what rent is like for any of the cities, but you are looking at several tens of thousands different for buying a home. We lived in West Valley for over 10 years and really liked it. We lived in an older home in an older area and decided to move to a new area with more kids. We have come to the conclusion that the one good friend that each of our kids had (because it was an older area with older people) was better than the several friends that weren't that great.

There are better areas than others. We lived in the 84119 zip code and it had some bad yards and some great ones. Overall the people were fantastic, so humble, unpretentious, and kind. I loved the elementary school. I am pretty sure that West Valley is still the second largest city in the state so you will see more things on the news about it. They are supposed to be redoing the mall there - which is much needed. If you are looking, there are some nice neighborhoods from 4100 - 4700 S. and 3200 W. - 3600 W. Just don't look at our old house because the people we sold it to have let it go to pot (how hard is it to pull weeds!)

Also, You can get anywhere from Salt Lake to Draper in a matter of 15-20 minutes because of the freeway/Bangeter Hwy access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area