Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 35,862 times

Advertisements

I have lived in W.V.C my entire life (84119, 84120) and can not tell you ONE scary thing about it. Yes some places may be run down but not scary.
My in-laws live in Sandy and I feel no safer there than I do here.
W.V.C is starting to be rebuilt with the addition of the tracks and the renovation of the mall I see nothing but good things happening for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 PM

396 posts, read 1,275,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbammz View Post
At one time they pushed a slogan "Best Valley City"....what the @#$#@%&$..That didn't get very far,(but they tried) as for me, it's a hiddeous place.There's no infastructure of the city.Do they even have a downtown?? I think city officials are scrabbling the best they can,to ensure a diverse, multicultural vibrant city with the construction,or re-construction of the Valley-Fair Mall.....But with no real stand-out restruants,like what you have in Salt Lake, & Sandy,you've got a long ways to go.The crime is rediculous,with all the gangbang'n goin on out there,turn on the evening news,you'll see what I mean.35 th south is unbearable to drive on.There's absolutly no vibrance there.The block on which the E-Center is on, with the Halle-Theater,has the best potential (in my eyes)in establishing a core, for West Valley......I'm hopefull with the constuction of the mall, and the introduction of light-rail, We could see the groth of a MAJOR-CITY,to rival Ogden,Sandy-Draper,Provo-Orem,in the not too distant future........salt-lake-4life!!!!
LOL, crime in West Valley City ridiculous?!

I've lived in Utah almost all my life and I agree, some people really need to see the world outside of Utah sometimes. When West Valley City is considered the bad part of town you know that standards are too high. I mean, South Salt Lake and parts of western Salt Lake City have higher crime rates yet no one ever complains about them. Not that I'd call those "dangerous" areas either.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 12,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
No place around here is scary..some people in Utah really need to experience life outside this state...there are other areas in the United States that are scary..I did come from MD ...highest murder rate in the US....BALTIMORE...here u just have idiots that stab each other because someone cut the other off
I totally agree! It really cracks me up when someone asks me where in Salt Lake I live and I tell them West Valley... almost 100% of the time their response is something like, "Oh, the bad part of town!" I have lived in SW D.C., have gotten lost in Baltimore (I know what you're talking about!), and have gotten lost in the really bad parts of D.C. Seriously, don't even start to say that West Valley is scary until you hear of multiple murders and crap happening there every day. I am only here in West Valley for a short time (moving back east/home soon) and have been shocked by the sheltered mindset of many of the people I have met here. (Not all people here are like that, though; I'm not saying that this is characteristic of every Utahn!)

Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM

203 posts, read 720,539 times
there are parts of the SL valley where i wouldn't park my car out of sight, that's for damn sure

those places are WVC within a 2 mile radius of valley fair mall, kearns in general, poplar grove, glendale, and parts of rose park. since my first (and only) language is english, i also would not want to be a out after dark in the glendale area

isn't lake park (by franklin covey and the UPS hub) part of WVC as well? that place needs to just be razed as it is an absolute festering ****hole. thank goodness they tore harvey street down a few years back

the apartments at 35th and bangerter behind la frontera are no better than lake park either

In defense of WVC.. it's like much of the SLC area. You may find a nice quiet street with good residents who live harmoniously, and then go 2 blocks and find a street where you see tin foil on every other window, fences and cars are broken down with no sign of repair being remotely thought of, people are loud and traffic that is likely drug related comes and goes all hours of the night.

Sandy has the same thing as well, off of Monroe Street.. total ****hole over there too.

I found that living near any large apartment complex in the SL area (not just wvc) is generally a bad idea.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times
My area of West Valley is pretty nice. In fact I'm a little sad to be leaving it, because I'm across the street from horse properties, and it has a somewhat rural feel, even though we are only 15 minutes from downtown. But alas, we are not immune to the problems of the run down neighborhoods. Starting last summer, there were four break-ins nearby. Then rival gangs started trying to claim this nice new area for their own by tagging everything in sight. I probably could live here for 20 more years and be mostly happy. But I've decided to try my family's fortunes elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM

71 posts, read 293,629 times
I own a house over there, a rental. I would not worry about living there myself, but if I had children I'd avoid that area. I would buy a more expensive house in a better neighborhood, even if it was quite small. Call the Salt Lake County Sheriffs office and ask for the crime statistics, they should have them for you. Remember, its all about location, location, location.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 AM

7 posts, read 30,812 times
I used to live in West Valley when I was younger, and my family moved to Taylorsville about ten years ago. Most of West Valley is somewhat dumpy, although there are nice pockets as with any city. It is a better place to live compared to much of Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake and Kearns or Magna. I would recommend that you look into Taylorsville or Murray though. The price range on houses is similar to WVC, and they are generally more convenient to downtown, and the criminal activity seems less prevalent. Once you get south of 6200 South, the neighborhoods are generally nicer.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
If you want to be out of the "crime triangle" and wish to remain "west" I'd stay south of 7800 South and West of Bangerter if possible in general....or just keep going South. Little by little most of the West side north of 7800 South is going downhill fast crime wise. I'm in the security biz and that's what the statistics show, like it or not. Nothing personal to folks living there, just the fact as they are...

Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
As sad as it is, with times like they are, I think crime is on the upswing all over...

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM

200 posts, read 979,474 times
I live in the area of 84123(it's considered Murray, but I consider it West Valley). Hate it here.
I've lived in Los Angeles and San Jose before.
This area has quite a bit of gang activity, robberies, dog fighting, kids not going to school, etc... I think its just this couple blocks though. I can't wait to get out of here, at least our two neighbors are decent though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area