Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:52 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,111,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
When we moved to Utah, I asked around and did some research, and found what I was looking for in the Alpine school district. I was very happy with the school that she went to, and very, very happy that she graduated in May. The only thing that surprised me, was how expensive it was. I had never paid for public school, until arriving in utah.

HOw much mormoni do they teach in the public schools? How much is religion a part of the curriculum.
Is there anywhere a list of the schools with the least and most amounts of mormon attending?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,485,430 times
I looked into religious diversity in the schools and I found what you'd expect: those neighborhoods with the most religious diversity had schools with the most diversity. I'm sure others can help you more, but i found these 3 elementaries to be very diverse religiously:

Beacon Heights
Bonneville
Unitah

As to teaching Moroni or anything LDS I sure hope that isn't going on in ANY public school, just as I'd hope no other religion is being taught either!!! Hopefully someone can speak to that??

Oh, I should mention I only looked into elementaries in SLC with a greatschools rating of 9 or 10.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,607,770 times
Default Religion in Public Schools

Although religious teaching per se is forbiden in any public school in the USA, it creeps in by way of attitudes, things that are not mentioned, or things that are condemned. In high school, the LDS kids have a "free" period, released time, to go across the street to the seminary for religion studies. It becomes VERY obvious who is/isn't LDS at that point. If you are one of a handful of kids who don't go, you can feel like an outsider pretty quick. Kids will also talk about what they did, which includes religious activities. Many (?most?) of the scouting programs are run by the LDS church although anyone can join.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Although religious teaching per se is forbiden in any public school in the USA, it creeps in by way of attitudes, things that are not mentioned, or things that are condemned. In high school, the LDS kids have a "free" period, released time, to go across the street to the seminary for religion studies. It becomes VERY obvious who is/isn't LDS at that point. If you are one of a handful of kids who don't go, you can feel like an outsider pretty quick. Kids will also talk about what they did, which includes religious activities. Many (?most?) of the scouting programs are run by the LDS church although anyone can join.
I have a question about this "free" period. I've heard it mentioned before and I've been wondering about it. So, the free period, correct me if this is wrong, is when the HS kids can go to seminary. They do not get any sort of school credit or grade for it, but neither are they penalized for leaving school during the day. Is that right? So, presumably "someone" thinks that seminary is a "valid" reason to leave school for a while. What about parents who are not LDS but who might value other things--art, music, sports, etc. Can they take their children out of school during this "free" period without penalty for things which are not LDS related??

Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM

550 posts, read 2,162,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I have a question about this "free" period. I've heard it mentioned before and I've been wondering about it. So, the free period, correct me if this is wrong, is when the HS kids can go to seminary. They do not get any sort of school credit or grade for it, but neither are they penalized for leaving school during the day. Is that right? So, presumably "someone" thinks that seminary is a "valid" reason to leave school for a while. What about parents who are not LDS but who might value other things--art, music, sports, etc. Can they take their children out of school during this "free" period without penalty for things which are not LDS related??
As for things such as art, music, sports, etc., I see where you are coming from, but someone would tell you religion is different than art, sports, etc. Don't ask me why they have this here, but they do. It's technically called "released time." They don't get any school credit or grade for it but the religious instructors do participate in Parent/Teacher Conferences and are considered a portion of the school.

To answer the other person's question, no, religion is not part of the curriculum.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:41 PM

So it is only for religion (you're right, someone might argue art is different than religion. But that would be a someone who is religious presumably. For someone who isn't religious, release time for religion seems crazy and no different than being released for art).

OK, so...what about a different religion? Would they accept release time for someone who is Catholic to go to their church?

I do tend to confront what I find fundamentally flawed, so if I do end up there facing this, I can tell you right now I will be asking for released time for art or music. And I will challenge it as far as I can!
Religious study belongs AFTER school. If it's a general free time fine, then everyone should have it for whatever is important to them. Either free time for everyone who chooses to take or for no one.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:

OK, so...what about a different religion? Would they accept release time for someone who is Catholic to go to their church?

I do tend to confront what I find fundamentally flawed, so if I do end up there facing this, I can tell you right now I will be asking for released time for art or music. And I will challenge it as far as I can!
Religious study belongs AFTER school. If it's a general free time fine, then everyone should have it for whatever is important to them. Either free time for everyone who chooses to take or for no one.
I hear you. As for if they offer released time for Catholic or any other religious study, you would have to ask them. They can't say no, or they would be slapped with a lawsuit

Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 PM

True. We're not Catholic and I wouldn't take my kids out of school for religion--they are there for school, but I was just curious. (Although I may be taking them out for art to make a point!)

Last edited by frogandtoad; 09-30-2008 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
True. We're not Catholic and I wouldn't take my kids out of school for religion--they are there for school, but I was just curious. (Although I may be taking them out for art to make a point!)
Ha, I would like to see that story on the news

Old 09-30-2008, 05:11 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,111,553 times
Quote:
I am sure they would have to, but is your church going to be across the street (or nextdoor) to the high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area