Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 AM

68 posts, read 237,851 times

Advertisements

Well almost. A little North of home but close enough. I am being transfered to Salt Lake City after the school year so I have 9 months to plan and make this as smooth as possible. One of my job requirments is that I live within a 50 mile drive of the capital area. I work out of a home office and only have to drive for assignments but I do have to attend meetings in the state governemnt offices on a regular basis, thus the criteria. I am beginning to think about where we want to live because other than playing tourist I know nothing of the Salt Lake City area.

Now, when I lived out there before I was down South in a town of 800 people in the middle of nowhere an dI loved it We were 82 miles from Wal-mart if that give you any idea how remote it was. LOL The town was almost exclusively LDS (two full wards with 800 population)

I'm not even pretending I am going to find something like that within my 50 mile drive but keeping in mind the lifestyle I enjoyed there I am open to suggestions on places to look into. Yes, I am LDS. I am a single father of a 13 year old boy. I have two daughters in College, one in Cedar City and one in Saint George. I love getting out in the mountains hiking whenever possible but also enjoy theater and typical night out things people do. In the old town I was able to do my morning runs along a mountain summit BLM road. GEEZ I miss that but again, know that is not going to happen again but if there is some well kept secret town.

I'll never be rich but have a decent income. I don't want to tie it all up in a home. I am thinking seriously of going condo or townhome this time. Probably max of $200,000 and cheaper would be better.

I am open to ideas, South puts me close to my daughters. North puts my closer to some of the WY and ID outdoors areas I am familiar with from my ISU days. Park city and some of the burbs around there maybe?

Lay it on me. I am open to all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,959,433 times
Tooele County. Lakepoint is a bit rural. I don't know the exact mileage from the Capitol though. I would think it is right around 50 miles. It sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.

Welcome to Tooele County, Utah!

Welcome back!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:46 AM

47 posts, read 156,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Tooele County. Lakepoint is a bit rural. I don't know the exact mileage from the Capitol though. I would think it is right around 50 miles. It sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.

Welcome to Tooele County, Utah!

Welcome back!
Tooele is a bit farther from the mountains you like.... I was thinking something like Eden. Small, but close enough to Ogden and SLC. You'd be right in the mountains and I'm sure you could meet your price desire. For $200k, I'm not sure you'd be happy with housing choices near Park City....

Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamamma View Post
Tooele is a bit farther from the mountains you like.... I was thinking something like Eden. Small, but close enough to Ogden and SLC. You'd be right in the mountains and I'm sure you could meet your price desire. For $200k, I'm not sure you'd be happy with housing choices near Park City....
I don't know about that. My DH goes 4 wheeling up in the mountains in Tooele all the time. Takes about 15 minutes to get there. Besides, Eden isn't 50 miles from downtown SLC. It is pretty up there though.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
Don't know about the distance, but what about Heber City? Or one of the smaller towns around there. You'd be in the mountains yet with good roads to SLC. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 PM

I think Heber is only about 45 miles. That is a nice mountain area!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,135,456 times
Check out Wellsville, UT. It's a beautiful little town nestled in the mountains. I'm not to sure about the distance but I think it would make your requirements. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Besides, Eden isn't 50 miles from downtown SLC. It is pretty up there though.
Nope, you're right, it's about 52 miles.... In reality, I don't think you could go wrong with just about anything you choose. The deciding factor will be your budget.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamamma View Post
Nope, you're right, it's about 52 miles.... In reality, I don't think you could go wrong with just about anything you choose. The deciding factor will be your budget.

Is that all it is? Really? Wow. It just seems like a lot further. Maybe I was being a dunce and thinking of the distance from my house.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Is that all it is? Really? Wow. It just seems like a lot further. Maybe I was being a dunce and thinking of the distance from my house.
Katydid, I'm certainly not an expert, I just looked at google. It did seem pretty close to Ogden the last time I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area