U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,693,803 times

Advertisements

Real Women???????? That's a low blow (Sorry to be off topic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,833 times
low blow? how? It certainly wasn't meant to be anything other than a commentary on men who think a woman with a career is "cute". I'm no raving feminist, but I do think a professional woman should be treated as an equal by her colleagues.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:32 PM

378 posts, read 1,725,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
low blow? how? It certainly wasn't meant to be anything other than a commentary on men who think a woman with a career is "cute". I'm no raving feminist, but I do think a professional woman should be treated as an equal by her colleagues.
My wife is a professional in a male dominated field. She likes the challenge, but still can't come to terms with the obvious bonding that goes on among the men after work. She always feels like she has to accomplish 2x as a man would to get promoted. I'm also upset because we need more $$$$!

We are also LDS and without children so people tend to think either 1) We are selfish or 2) We can't have kids. I personally see no problems with getting to know your spouse and traveling before you start your family. We have so many friends that dropped out of school and got preggers immediately. They have meager incomes and stress out because they are on welfare and medicare. One of our relatives even gets upset because she has to attend meetings with low income people so that medicare will pay for her baby. Sad actually.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM

17 posts, read 70,227 times
I have come to meetings with contractors and subs, with a young male intern to help me with record keeping and to provide him with some experience. Most assume he is the architect. I politely correct them, and try to forget about it. It's harder when another male colleague doesn't take you seriously, or when you get the simple jobs because presumably they think you can't handle it. I have felt this more in Salt Lake City than in any other city I have worked. I guess I have gotten better at ignoring it, but sometimes things break through the armor.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,693,803 times
I totally agree with you chaz. Men can be pigs in the corporate world (probably even more so in UT for varying reasons) Women should definately be treated equal. I'm sorry I was a little rude, I don't wanna be confrontational at all it just kinda sounded like you were hinting stay at home moms and houskeepers aren't "real" women.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:06 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,833 times
LOL dreameyes, as a sahm/houswife myself, I certainly don't believe I'm not a real woman! Perhaps I phrased it poorly. I also think sahm's should be treated as equals, too, not just glorified baby factories or maid services. So I guess by "real woman" I meant someone with a brain, who does her job well and should be recognized for that, not demeaned, regardless of what that job is, diapers or diagrams. ;-)

Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 PM

11 posts, read 7,990 times
well if yur husand is a professor (I take it at the "U") and you are always moving and such, he must not have tenure? Not that it matters, but a middle aged prof w/o tenure can't really pick and choose where to live, can he? I know you get these two or three years contracts and its "Oh lets find someone younger / smarter / funnier / cheaper". I mean if I taught at the U, I'd much rather teach at Chicago, say, or Stanford, but how realistic is that?

s o what clubs U been 2? The Depot is cool, Urban lounge has some awsome bands, the Tavernacle has a dueling piano bar, then there's the Red Door downtown. R U into the weekend club kid scene? Theres Area 51, the Sanctuary. As to restaurants, well Utah is NOT NYC or SF, but what kinda food U like? Theres a lotta ethnic stuff beyond Tex-Mex. Theres must be a dozen great *** places, have U been to Michelangelo's? Cafe Molise? Bambarra? Boulevard in Holliday? The Joseph Smith room on the top of the Joseph Smith building (kidding)? even ARisto's near the U. The Bayou? Theres a dozen Thai places, 8 or so Indian -- plus theres no traffic, and the smog pales in comparison to LA, NY, and most of the other places you listed. Plus it rains all the time in Seattle. AFter having lived in
Chicago, SF, and NYC and now ZIONcity, theres really no place thats perfect (except maybe Boulder or Ann Arbor).

Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 PM

378 posts, read 1,725,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petieINzion View Post
The Joseph Smith room on the top of the Joseph Smith building (kidding)?
I think you are refering to The Roof.
http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/1...estaurant.html

Some of the best desserts in Utah! Excellent lists petieINzion, but I can't believe you left out Crown Burgers, Mazza, Log Haven, and Bombay House.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 7,990 times
theres a better Indian place than Mumbai House -- Bombay Express on 33rd S and 700 E.

Theres also: Rubys; Martine downtown; David K's (cvhink); Himalayan Kitchen doewntown; Cina Grill downtown; The Tree Room at Sundance; any place in ParkCity - just about

Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 AM

121 posts, read 412,313 times
I think SLC is poised for change. I really do. It won't be tomorrow, but w/enough people moving from CA, eventually the Mormons will lose control and it will be the wonderful city it can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or