U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 PM

373 posts, read 826,023 times
Default Asian Markets in SLC area?

Ive had the great pleasure to live all over the world and being exposed to so many great cultures. To me, one of the best expressions of cultural identity is in the food. I dont live in SLC, but we travel there often for health care and shopping. Unfortunatly, I dont know where a asian grocer is in the area. I like mostly Japanese, Korean, and Thai, and some Indian. Is there any large multiethnic stores like LeeLee market or Ranch 99 in the area? If not, where are the asian markets in town and which ones are reccomended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,388,804 times
Drive down Redwood Road from 2100 South to about 5400 South and you will see several.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM

15,926 posts, read 27,790,964 times
There is a mixture of Latino and Asian on 9th South around 300E-State.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:03 PM

536 posts, read 1,231,149 times
Default oriental markets I have found so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
Ive had the great pleasure to live all over the world and being exposed to so many great cultures. To me, one of the best expressions of cultural identity is in the food. I dont live in SLC, but we travel there often for health care and shopping. Unfortunatly, I dont know where a asian grocer is in the area. I like mostly Japanese, Korean, and Thai, and some Indian. Is there any large multiethnic stores like LeeLee market or Ranch 99 in the area? If not, where are the asian markets in town and which ones are reccomended?
I had the same questions before I moved here, did a lot of research and asked of lot of questions *smile* so here I'm sharing for those who need it too...

the following 2 are close to each other on state street/main street:

Japan Sage Market:
1515 S Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84115

Taiwanese owner, the owner shipped as much Taiwanese stuff over to her store as she could:
China Town Market
1496 Major St
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
(801) 483-2898

the following 2 markets are close to the liberty park:
this is a vietnamese/chinese mixure type of market:
Southeast Asian Market
422 E 900 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Korean market:
Oriental Food Market
677 S. 700 E.

this is a China grocery market at Sandy, UT:
Super China Market‎ 115 W 9000 S, Sandy, UT

vietnamese/chinese mixure:Kim Long Market
3450 So. Redwood Road
West Valley City, UT 84119

sorry, couldn't find much Korean market, and I heard the JP mkt above is the only one in Utah. Don't know about any Thai or IndianHope...hope these helps a bit. *smile*

Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 56,369 times
Great China Market on 722 S State SLC

Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 PM

1,895 posts, read 1,524,117 times
My favorite was always Southeast Supermarket next to Liberty Park (have a lot of Thai and Vietnamese stuff), then probably Super China Market in Sandy.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 PM

179 posts, read 413,284 times
I really like the Chinese market in Sandy. It is really big and they have everything you could ever want. We actually found durian fruit there! Yuck!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 56,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
Great China Market on 722 S State SLC
they've moved to Murray

Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 AM

76 posts, read 141,263 times
Old thread but good stuff here so I thought I'd add some more for reference.

I've recently gotten into Asian cooking and have been really impressed with these four stores. Here's my thoughts for anyone else interested in checking them out:

OceanMart (formerly Super China Mart) - 115 W 9000 S, Sandy - I like how one online reviewer called this the "Asian Albertsons"! It's enormous and well worth browsing just for fun since you don't feel crowded like in most other Asian markets. It has entire aisles dedicated to product categories... there's an entire frozen aisle, dish and cookware aisles, liquids and sauces aisle, teas and bottled drinks aisle, sweets and snacks aisle, a decent selection of hard to find asian fruits and vegetables, and even a quite good selection of South Asian/Indian dry and liquid goods. I've made some fun discoveries like the sparkly but non-carbonated Calpico drinks (Strawberry is delish!), Mochi Red Bean ice cream, Korean melons, and sticky rice moulds. Some common fruits and veggies are cheaper than other grocery stores and you can find Tofu for a buck! The store also sells fresh meats and seafood and has a little mini-restaurant on the right side of the entrance (has boba drinks!), but I'm too put off by the smell of the store to trust the fresh stuff that can spoil.

Qaaderi Sweetz and Spices/Chaat House (Indian/Pakistani) - 3546 S Redwood Rd, WVC - This place has a wide variety of spices, beans, lentils, flours, teas, beauty products (coconut oil, henna), snacks, fresh vegetables (some you can't find elsewhere), frozen stuff, etc. It is quite small with only two aisles to peruse (though they pack a big punch!) but it also has an attached small restaurant with some decent food that reminds me of a cross between the fast-food at Curry and a Hurry and a sit-down restaurant. They also have a bunch of Indian sweets that they make fresh that are really fun to try. And of course there is an enormous Indian DVD purchase and rental selection although you can find much cheaper prices online.

House of Spices (Indian) - 4134 Carriage Square, WVC - Right off of Redwood and about a block south of Qaaderi above, this one is like a more simple version of Qaaderi with no restaurant and a tiny DVD section. I really like the owner here and he will discuss recipes and suggestions with you. House of Spices tends to have a lot of bulk things and less quantity than Qaaderi, but it also has a medium-sized beauty section, puja/incense/decor section, a small frozen and refrigerated section (try the Indian ice cream!) and some pretty Indian figurines/jewelry/decor etc. under the register case. But I think my favorite item found here was the naan - NOT frozen, but pre-baked and sealed so you only have to pull it out, heat it in the oven for a few minutes, and you have restaurant-quality naan...mmm!

Southeast Supermarket (called Southeast Asian Market above) - 422 East 900 South, SLC - Mentioned above, and is like a much smaller version of OceanMart in Sandy but often has things there that OceanMart doesn't have. I think my favorite part was how friendly and helpful the staff were. Used to smell pretty stinky but has greatly improved the last couple of times I've been in. The restaurant attached to it is now closed.

Happy Asian food shopping!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM

76 posts, read 141,263 times
Has anyone been to the new "Asian City" that's hard-to-miss on the corner of Redwood Road of 9000 South in West Jordan? It apparently opened up about a month ago and is supposed to be some kind of asian food and and gift mecca, though the website hasn't been updated so I haven't gotten the courage to go. Here's the Trib's blurb about it: New Asian mall coming to W. Jordan | Bite by Bite | The Salt Lake Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area