Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,902 times

Advertisements

I have been researching and seem like closer to the East bound of SLC, the best public schools are below: and one of the zip codes for homes that is close to these schools is Holladay, zip 84124. The average home price does seem to be a bit higher. Any input on this?

Elementary schools:
Morningside Magnet School
Oakridge School
Beacon Heights School

Jr. High:
Wasatch Junior High School

High School:
Skyline High School

also, does anyone know why the high school test scores tend to bit much lower than the elementary school and jr. high grades? this even applies to the high schools with the top hightest test scores, the test scores for these top high schools are just ok. and in a home district, it's either the Elementary school is great, but the jr. high or high school is not so good, or the other way around..why is that? I would think if the home school district is good, it should be all good from K to 12.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,650 times
Oh, I can tell you Morningside is a very good elementary. All the "smart" kids get sent here in addition to the ones inside the boundaries. I was offered to go here way back when but I didn't want to separate from my friends inside school boundaries. I know Wasatch, along with Churchill, Olympus Jr., and Evergreen (proud alumni!), all have the reputation of being good schools (they're all sort of in the same general neighborhood). I'm not so sure about Skyline though, I haven't heard much about it, but I think it's good compared to other high schools.

I have a hypothesis about the test scores deteriorating by the time high school comes 'round. Usually, there are the students that lose interest in school and just don't care, and this gets more frequent as the grade level gets higher. You won't see the hardcore druggie that you may see in high schools across the country in elementary school, right? That's just my two cents.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Oh, I can tell you Morningside is a very good elementary. All the "smart" kids get sent here in addition to the ones inside the boundaries. I was offered to go here way back when but I didn't want to separate from my friends inside school boundaries. I know Wasatch, along with Churchill, Olympus Jr., and Evergreen (proud alumni!), all have the reputation of being good schools (they're all sort of in the same general neighborhood). I'm not so sure about Skyline though, I haven't heard much about it, but I think it's good compared to other high schools.

I have a hypothesis about the test scores deteriorating by the time high school comes 'round. Usually, there are the students that lose interest in school and just don't care, and this gets more frequent as the grade level gets higher. You won't see the hardcore druggie that you may see in high schools across the country in elementary school, right? That's just my two cents.
how do you parents do this? try to buy a home in the district where the desired schools are for your kids? having all the 3 desired schools around a home is hard, and if you do a district exemption, the child might not want to seperate with their friends just like what Lmejh experienced. also, is it true that the best public schools in the Utah state are mostly around East Bound, and Holladay area?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 AM

550 posts, read 2,168,650 times
Although I don't have kids yet, I do know West High School (Salt Lake City School District) was ranked highest in the state and that's just north of Downtown on 3rd West; so while it may be true that the East bench is more affluent, it doesn't have to mean the schools are the best only there

Old 08-14-2008, 06:43 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,868 times
My son jst started and already he is bored. It seems he is relearning what he learned back home.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,208 times
When we moved to Utah, I asked around and did some research, and found what I was looking for in the Alpine school district. I was very happy with the school that she went to, and very, very happy that she graduated in May. The only thing that surprised me, was how expensive it was. I had never paid for public school, until arriving in utah.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
West High offers an International Baccaloreate )spelling?). I'm not sure if their test scores are lumped in with the other kids. I have a friend who sent his son there from the East Bench area, just for that program.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
When we moved to Utah, I asked around and did some research, and found what I was looking for in the Alpine school district. I was very happy with the school that she went to, and very, very happy that she graduated in May. The only thing that surprised me, was how expensive it was. I had never paid for public school, until arriving in utah.
u paid to go to public school??? i was suprised i didn't have to pay for school supplies..woohooo

Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
West High offers an International Baccaloreate )spelling?). I'm not sure if their test scores are lumped in with the other kids. I have a friend who sent his son there from the East Bench area, just for that program.
WHS International Bac (http://west.slc.k12.ut.us/academics/ib/IBindex.htm - broken link)
I think this is what you're talking about...I heard that this program is excellent too, but when i went to great schools.com I see that their overall test scores really aren't that great.
Math 37%
launage 68%
science 49%
so I was suprised to hear from many others that this is one of the best schools when the scores aren't good as the other ones I posted earlier..is it roughly accurate to go by greatschools.com?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:07 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
u paid to go to public school??? i was suprised i didn't have to pay for school supplies..woohooo
Yes. The "fees" were $234.00 for the start of the year, and that was for classes, in the first semester. And yet, my property tax bill shows an allotment for the school district....go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area