Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 PM

550 posts, read 2,163,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I have browsed through some homes that come up when I enter Holladay on realtor.com and I think it offers a nice selection. What would be the benefits to living in Holladay as to South Jordan, Sandy, Park City, Draper, or Riverton?

What grade do the high schools start in the Salt Lake City area? The greatschools.net scores only apply to the state, because it is based on state testing.

Does anyone know of any websites where I can get more school information and more information regarding Salt Lake City and its surroundings?
Holladay is definitely more "upscale" than Sandy, South Jordan, Draper (with the exception of Suncrest) and Riverton. Holladay is better than Park City because it is a much shorter and saner (no going down the canyon in winter) commute and is closer to the big-city amenities.

As for what grade high schools begin, it depends by district. My district began high school in 10th grade, but others begin in 9th. So it depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,646,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The ratings on greatschools.net should be unifrom across the country-they rate them on several factors. Utah schools are overcrowded for the most part, due to the high brith-rate. There are county indoor pools across the valley.
OMG - my bad! I misunderstood how they calculated their ratings - sorry!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,407,417 times
What is the Suncrest area of Draper like? What are Cottonwood, Olympus, and Skyline High Schools reputations like? I am going to check out the greatschools.net info and parent reviews.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 AM

702 posts, read 1,979,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Holladay is definitely more "upscale" than Sandy, South Jordan, Draper (with the exception of Suncrest) and Riverton. Holladay is better than Park City because it is a much shorter and saner (no going down the canyon in winter) commute and is closer to the big-city amenities.

As for what grade high schools begin, it depends by district. My district began high school in 10th grade, but others begin in 9th. So it depends.
I so think South Jordan is much more upscale than Holladay. Have u been all thru South Jordan to see all the houses and what they look like?? Ive been to Holladay and wasn't impressed..it reminded me of Midvale and Murray. Im not talking just Daybreak as South Jordan either

Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,646,151 times
The Suncrest developers went into bankrupcy and there are questions about the validity of their landslide studies; they may have built on an old landslide area, which means future slides. It's very steep and there have been some problems with streets cracking. Also, I wouldn't like to drive those streets after a snowfall!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM

I have been looking at homes in the area in Draper around the Draper Temple. I saw a YouTube video that showed the Suncrest neighborhood and it looked nice, but I thought the area near Draper Temple was more my taste. I noticed that homes in Draper and Holladay have been reduced as much as $700,000! I thought Utah was growing and had a nice stable housing market, but I guess that means I would be getting in cheap.

I guess I'll have to do a little footwork when I am in SLC in November and December. I'll have to check out the schools. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the school or could recommend a school or district. I saw that Draper is in the Alta High School district. I saw some good reviews, but low scores, the highest I have seen is Park City, but I think it is too far and a little more expensive.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:32 PM

546 posts, read 2,197,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I have been looking at homes in the area in Draper around the Draper Temple. I saw a YouTube video that showed the Suncrest neighborhood and it looked nice, but I thought the area near Draper Temple was more my taste. I noticed that homes in Draper and Holladay have been reduced as much as $700,000! I thought Utah was growing and had a nice stable housing market, but I guess that means I would be getting in cheap.

I guess I'll have to do a little footwork when I am in SLC in November and December. I'll have to check out the schools. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the school or could recommend a school or district. I saw that Draper is in the Alta High School district. I saw some good reviews, but low scores, the highest I have seen is Park City, but I think it is too far and a little more expensive.
are you only looking for a high school or elementary school/middle or all?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM

515 posts, read 2,319,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
I so think South Jordan is much more upscale than Holladay. Have u been all thru South Jordan to see all the houses and what they look like?? Ive been to Holladay and wasn't impressed..it reminded me of Midvale and Murray. Im not talking just Daybreak as South Jordan either
I know nothing about South Jordan, but Holladay is a lot nicer than Murray or Midvale, especially as you go east towards the foothills, which seems to be true of most of the area south of Rt. 80...

Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM

550 posts, read 2,163,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Where in Holladay did you specifically go? Because Murray and Midvale are definitely not the same as Holladay. Trust me, Holladay is right next to me; there are some pretty nice places there.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM

I am mainly looking for a decent public high school, but I would like to be in a decent elementary and middle school district as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area