U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,566 times

Advertisements

I wish there was a way to upload a picture straight from my computer onto here. I have a picture of the pollution in the Salt Lake Valley that was just taken yesterday.

I was born and raised in Salt Lake and am now 38 yrs old. Myself, my sister (1 yr younger) and my husband- all three raised there and all three have neurological issues. My husband has early onset Parkinson's, I was dx'd with MS and my sister has Hashimoto's. If you do research on MS and the studies that have een done on it, there is a VERY HIGH incidence in comparisson to the rest of the Nation.
My younger brother works in a position where he is a supervisor of safety over Haz Mat stored in Tooele and he will not allow his children to drink the water strictly because he has seen what they would be consuming.. before you say anything- YES he wants to leave the area, but can't because of a custody issue with his step-daughter.

In the Salt Lake Valley- that is what it is... a Valley. It is surrounded by mountains, like a big bowl. These mountains that are soo beautiful (when you can see them) hold the pollution in the area. They have the nuclear waste in the Valley (in Tooele City at Dugway Proving Grounds), the population is growing tremendously since the Olympics were there-which means more cars, more factories, etc. all of this makes the pollution worse.

I have moved to Idaho just a year ago and still have to travel to Salt Lake to visit family and for business purposes. Honestly.... I can smell the pollution before I can actually see it as we are heading in, then I see it and am just absolutely disgusted and amazed that there isn't more public knowledge of the environment and what families are exposing their health to. I feel the government should provide more information so people trying to make a knowledgeable and informed decision have the ability to do just that.

I HIGHLY suggest spending time researching the hazmat that is there and and the toxins and environment you would be moving into. THEN make your decision.

I wish you luck in your decision- just make sure you do your research and make an informed decision!

Last edited by multi-feathers; 11-19-2008 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 PM

550 posts, read 1,968,959 times
Not that I don't believe you or anything, but do you have a link to any of these studies that you mention in your post? I've never heard of anything like that in my years living here.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,469 times
Default SLC air quality is dirty little secret

For what it's worth, don't even think about moving to the SLC area if you have to live in the metro area. I'm a native, not Mormon, who had to leave because of the air quality WHEN THE SL VALLEY INVERTS AFTER A SNOW STORM. Was living above the inversions on a ridge and would notice how my head would ache when down in the valley(and inversion) and how my headache would stop after being home for about 30 min. at night. Did some research, the EPA two winters ago had SLC rated as THE WORST AIR IN THE COUNTRY for fine particulates(usually wood burning/car exhaust) when inverted and it was so bad that you couldn't even see LA on the list. In fact, that winter Logan, Ogden, SLC, and Provo were interchangeably the top four worst IN THE COUNTRY when inverted. I work(ed) with pulmonologists and the air quality is a dirty little secret the locals don't want to talk about since they think they have to live in UT, the pulms said if you're under 3 or over 65 good luck. I think the only thing saving my kids from infections/asthma was living on that ridge.
Inversion? The SL valley is a bowl because of the mtns, storm comes in the open nw corner and parks on the mtns(hence the best snow on earth), but then high pressure traps the low in the valley and you can go a couple of weeks without air movement until another storm comes in. It's creepy, you can get the same view I had from my house when you ski in SLC as you are above the inversion when you go up the canyons.

Furthermore, the summers aren't any better because of the same geography, you just have a giant bowl of ozone rather than smog. Summer of '07 the EPA gave SL valley an F in every category.
I think of my friends who are stuck there because of their jobs, they're taking years off their lives.
Hope all that helps...

Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM

397 posts, read 1,159,564 times
What philthetruth said was basically true. Just remove the hyperbolic statements ("takes years off your lives") ("my kids would have gotten asthma if they would have lived in the valley") etc. Last time I checked there were lots of people in Salt Lake City that didn't have asthma....

But the inversion is really bad here.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:40 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
....... Last time I checked there were lots of people in Salt Lake City that didn't have asthma....

But the inversion is really bad here.
I lived elsewhere for 61 years without asthma. One winter here and I had it. You can't tell me the inversions aren't to blame!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,895,978 times
Ah yes, but my husband lived in NJ and had terrible asthma attacks and allergies. We moved here 14 years ago and while he still does suffer slightly with allergies, he has had no asthma at all...not even in the inversioniest of winters...

One shoe does not fit all...

Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Ah yes, but my husband lived in NJ and had terrible asthma attacks and allergies. We moved here 14 years ago and while he still does suffer slightly with allergies, he has had no asthma at all...not even in the inversioniest of winters...

One shoe does not fit all...
Oh well .... another theory bites the dust! At least my allergies are better here.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 AM

397 posts, read 1,159,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I lived elsewhere for 61 years without asthma. One winter here and I had it. You can't tell me the inversions aren't to blame!
Probably are but philthetruth made it seem like everyone here had asthma. Personally I've lived here 13 years and have never had any problems breathing, so it doesn't affect everyone. Only on a few days in the absolute worst of inversions have I actually been able to feel it when I breathe.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM

16 posts, read 55,145 times
this inversions do they happen in March?

I have a one week trip planned to SLC the first week of march, and my mom is coming with me. Most of the time I will be up in the mountains ridding but I will go to sleep in SLC.

I am afraid she might get sick out of the air quality, maybe I can just purchase an air purifier and return it when I leave?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 PM

Can she walk around with it? Or is she planning on staying in the room the whole time?

It's not ethical to use something and then try to return it. We have bad air year-round, for the most part. Yes, there are inversions in March but it depends on the weather. In the summer, it's the high ozone level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area