Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Glad you are where you feel 'home' is catrinac. I can relate; I spent the past few years in Houston and was miserable and depressed - so much so it was affecting my moods and attitudes and even relationships. I couldn't wait to get out -back to Utah, where I'm happy. Yet, many people love that place that I hate so bad. One person's heaven is another's hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Glad you are where you feel 'home' is catrinac. I can relate; I spent the past few years in Houston and was miserable and depressed - so much so it was affecting my moods and attitudes and even relationships. I couldn't wait to get out -back to Utah, where I'm happy. Yet, many people love that place that I hate so bad. One person's heaven is another's hell.
Thanks for that quote. Have to remember that one.
Spend three years living and working in Switzerland, hated every minute of it, work wise. The people around where we lived were OK. Just the way they worked was strange to me.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 AM

71 posts, read 293,629 times
Default I wish I could do the same.

I'm just stuck here, family, job, etc. I was born here and my roots are probably too deep. Salt Lake is not a bad place, but the winters, with the bad driving, fog, pollution, etc, get a bit hard to take. I always look forward to spring, and travel to So. Utah when I can, to try to keep my sanity. I just returned from a winter campout on the Arizona strip, and believe me, I would stay there until April if family and job commitments didn't interfere. I've known others that moved to New Mexico from here, and liked it.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
I'm just stuck here, family, job, etc. I was born here and my roots are probably too deep. Salt Lake is not a bad place, but the winters, with the bad driving, fog, pollution, etc, get a bit hard to take. I always look forward to spring, and travel to So. Utah when I can, to try to keep my sanity. I just returned from a winter campout on the Arizona strip, and believe me, I would stay there until April if family and job commitments didn't interfere. I've known others that moved to New Mexico from here, and liked it.
I feel badly for people who have to live here who are not into winter sports or anything. Even if skiing doesn't interest you, if you try snowshoeing or something where you can spend some time in the mountains above the smog it might make winter more bearable for you.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,109 times
I just left slc for denver. I am much happier now. it it the mormons...they ruin everything. They discriminate against non mormons oops I mean non-LDS. Dont believe me check craigslists ads for rooms to rent. You are either lds or non lds and the two are hostile. Even the mayor is having a outreach program on discrimination. WHY would this be so in 2009??? The city is very nice in terms of its location to the mountains. There is a lot of potential. But the agenda for this city isnt a vibrant nite life nor cultrual but to cater to familes. You go downtown fri or sat night in slc and the biggest event besides a jazz game is the temple services. And the baby strollings overrun the DT nite life. I am sure other ex-californians will find otu the hard way I did...SLC is what it is...the land of the mormons and um maybe a lot of drug addicts who are rebelling against their church upbringing. The cities resturants, cultural, vibe has to be the worst in have experienced of any major city. Vacaville california is cooler.

P.S. dont think those new condos downtown will be any change to the city. We all know those places are reserved for the mormons i.e. city creek project

Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 AM

28 posts, read 40,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I just left slc for denver. I am much happier now. it it the mormons...they ruin everything. They discriminate against non mormons oops I mean non-LDS. Dont believe me check craigslists ads for rooms to rent. You are either lds or non lds and the two are hostile. Even the mayor is having a outreach program on discrimination. WHY would this be so in 2009??? The city is very nice in terms of its location to the mountains. There is a lot of potential. But the agenda for this city isnt a vibrant nite life nor cultrual but to cater to familes. You go downtown fri or sat night in slc and the biggest event besides a jazz game is the temple services. And the baby strollings overrun the DT nite life. I am sure other ex-californians will find otu the hard way I did...SLC is what it is...the land of the mormons and um maybe a lot of drug addicts who are rebelling against their church upbringing. The cities resturants, cultural, vibe has to be the worst in have experienced of any major city. Vacaville california is cooler.

P.S. dont think those new condos downtown will be any change to the city. We all know those places are reserved for the mormons i.e. city creek project

you would make a fantastic Latter Day Saint!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:01 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:

These posts never cease to amaze me. You must be young - in your 20s? Downtown night life is not really any issue for me - I don't go out "clubbing". I have found plenty of restaurants with good food & no problems getting alcohol. And I like the "vibe" around here.

Most LDS and non LDS people I have encountered have no hostility towards each other. I work with at least 3 people who went on missions but are no longer practicing and lead a lifestyle the church wouldn't approve of, but they are not anti-Mormon about it. They are friendly and get along with both non LDS and active LDS - there is just no tension there. I drink and am non-religious, have no kids & don't even like them, and all the Mormons I have met treat me just fine.

I had plenty of reasons for choosing SLC over Denver when I moved out west, but if you are happier there, then good you made the move. And I suppose coming from CA is different than coming from NJ - I had no where to go but up!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,650 times
Quote:

Oh please. LDS and non-LDS hostility? Oh please. You obviously have a very large ax to grind. And a discrimination outreach program? Where in the world did you hear of this?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
LDS are hostile? Ok. That must be what religion all the gangbangers are...no wait...they are the ones carrying switchblades and provoking fights with their neighbors...NO, I'VE GOT IT! They are the ones drunk off their a**es, uttering swear words, and causing trouble wherever they go.

I know there are mormons out there that do drink, some that do smoke, some that even swear. Who gives anyone the right to judge? That is like saying if you are catholic you shouldn't use birth control because that is what the church teaches. LDS, like any other *PERSON* in this country can make up their own mind. They will choose what is right for them (whatever it may be) and their families (if they have any).

"We all know those places are reserved for the mormons"??? You can't be serious. Whose we? Got a mouse in your pocket?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,109 times
Its LDs versed non LDS all day long on craigslist not to mention in the city. Some of your guys views are more rare than common about LDS/non-LDS harmony. Why do you think their is a concern at the mayors office about discrimination? There certainly arent enough minorities in SLC so it must not be that. At least be honest with people here about whats going on in Utah. I am not saying that mormons are tyranntical but they tend to have a grasp on whats going on in Utah. I experience too much discrimination in SLC to just sit slient about i

If any of you think city creek is not an LDS oriented effort to take back their city than you need to think twice. The dam buidlings practically oversee the temple. Where do you folks think you are living???

LDS can make up their own mind? Really? thats funny because the church dictates everything they think. Their head leader is considered a living prophet. I suggest you do more research about where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area