Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM

9 posts, read 44,202 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to SLC at the end of the month with our 3 dogs. I just ran across some info that there are ordinances in place that only allow 2? Please tell me that this is not strictly enforced......this would be my absolute worst nightmare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
In the unincorporated areas of SL county, you are allowed 3 if one is a rescue. In the city itself, you are limited to 2. Depends on your neighbors if they report you. Someone in my area has 3 but they don't go outside alone, owner always there, so they don't bark and disturb folks. I see 2 people walking 3 dogs on 1500 East but don't know what the situation is, maybe walking one for a friend?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:19 PM

222 posts, read 877,610 times
You are only allowed two in most areas but if they are not a problem then nobody will probably care.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,089 times
until it comes time to license them, and all three dogs have the same address....

Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM

200 posts, read 979,388 times
I know numerous people who have 3+ dogs, know a couple with 5, 6, 7, etc...Their dogs are not licensed...or only licensed two.

Use your sense and you won't get caught.

Don't allow your dogs to bark (in the backyard) aimlessly or disturb your neighbors, always keep them leashed if you take them outside to the park, etc... I would avoid parks if I were you, a lot of dog fights happen there. There are a lot of canyons and forest areas where you can take the dogs.

Just use your common sense and you should be fine.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Thank you all so much for this info. The city we currently live in has a licensing policy as well, but I have never licensed any of my dogs. We don't have to worry about the number of dogs we have, b/c there no limit per se. It is not enforced at all here. I guess we will just license the bigger of our two dogs and hope for the best? I dunno. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free, I am listening.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 AM

200 posts, read 979,388 times
What kind of dogs do you have?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 PM

273 posts, read 1,246,992 times
I had two dogs, down to one now, both have never been licensed but have had vet visits, shots, etc. They are both indoor dogs. Most of our neighbors don't even know we have them.

Like everyone else has said, don't ask, don't tell, keep it quiet and no one will care. Even if your neighbors notice you have three, chances are they won't know about the two dog ordinance anyway.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM

We have a Giant Schnauzer/Border Collie mix (65lbs.), a terrier mix (30 lbs), and a cairn terrier mix (10lbs). They are all rescues, not that it matters within city limits.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:57 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,433 times
It is absolutely enforced in some areas. In Layton, we were going to take in a stray who showed up literally at our doorstep. He had a microchip from an Air Force vet...so we assumed that the owner just dumped him when they transferred (or at least thats what we were told by Hill AFB after they spent 2 months trying to track down the dogs owner.

We went to get him a license and the dog warden came over and said we could not keep him because we already had two dogs. No questions, no bargaining...either bring the dog to the shelter or pay something like $1000 in fines. It was ridiculous if you ask me. We spent another two weeks trying to find new owners with no success...and had to take the dog to the shelter. They claim not to put any dogs to sleep...so hopefully that is true.

But...at least in Davis county, the 2 doggie rule is enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area