U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 PM

6 posts, read 44,897 times

Advertisements

I've read some nightmare tales of the horrible HOA management in Daybreak.

We're considering taking advantage of the bad market and first-time homebuyer incentive to grab up a condo or townhome in Daybreak, but we're also looking at Garbett's new project at The District, which is nearby.

But after reading about the HOA raising its own management salaries 4 percent and telling homeowners to deal with it, we're having second thoughts.

Does anyone know if you can negotiate a stable HOA fee into a contract so it won't double during bad years or bad management teams? Also, does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with the way the HOA is run?

And while we're at it, we're trying to get a general idea of how much people in condos and townhomes out there tend to pay per month in homeowners insurance as well as gas, electric and other bills.

Long-winded, I know, but any help on general affordability and management of Daybreak would be useful to us!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 12,216 times
HOA management companies will almost always have a provision in their contract that allows for an annual increase from 3 to 5%. The only time they try to increase it more than that is if they find it isn't profitable to manage them at the rate they are charging - - -whether that is because they spend a lot more time than normal due to high volume of calls or whatever the case may be. I don't know about you, but if you work for a company you tend to expect an annual review and increase - - it should be the same expectation for anyone with an annual contract. We are all out there to make money. Some of us just know what we are doing and are better at HOA management than others.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 PM

494 posts, read 1,678,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
I've read some nightmare tales of the horrible HOA management in Daybreak.

We're considering taking advantage of the bad market and first-time homebuyer incentive to grab up a condo or townhome in Daybreak, but we're also looking at Garbett's new project at The District, which is nearby.

But after reading about the HOA raising its own management salaries 4 percent and telling homeowners to deal with it, we're having second thoughts.

Does anyone know if you can negotiate a stable HOA fee into a contract so it won't double during bad years or bad management teams? Also, does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with the way the HOA is run?

And while we're at it, we're trying to get a general idea of how much people in condos and townhomes out there tend to pay per month in homeowners insurance as well as gas, electric and other bills.

Long-winded, I know, but any help on general affordability and management of Daybreak would be useful to us!

Thanks
I also looked in Daybreak a few years ago. I agree with your comments about the HOA - Kennecott doesn't seem to care about the homeowners' concerns, especially after a village is built out. You can't "build" into your sales contract stable HOA fees - you aren't signing a contract with the HOA, you are signing a contract with the builder. I also think with the heavy foreclosures in Daybreak, fees will have to rise because 20% of the residents aren't paying their HOA fees right now.

With that being said, there are a number of residents who care about the HOA and are pressing Kennecott for changes. It looks like there are changes in the works for the ownership of the DCC (Daybreak Community Center), and a pool will (hopefully) be going into Founder's Village in 2010.

One of the drawbacks about the townhomes is that you will be paying 2 HOA fees - one to the master HOA and one to the sub HOA. New townhomes are also required to have fire suppression systems, which increases the HOA fee (there is security & monthly phone line fees that have to be paid). I have heard second hand (but never confirmed) that the Carriage Condos by the Daybreak Corporate Center (where Rio Tinto has offices now) have HOA fees of $200 per month. Ouch!

Also... from personal experience, DO NOT buy a townhome or home from Holmes Homes. DM me if you want specifics.

All of the homes are energy efficient, so your utility bills should be low. If you are looking for affordability, I would go across the street to the Garbett Homes townhomes. They are also energy star rated. Also, if you are willing to live in West Jordan, I would look at the Amberly townhomes on 70th South & 4800 West. I know 4 families that live in the adjoining Brittany townhomes & are very happy with McArthur's construction.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Also.... keep in mind that Kennecott is heavily subsidizing the HOA. This will eventually go away. I don't know what Kennecott's plans are, since they will be building Daybreak for many, many years to come. My guess is that over time they will gradually decrease the HOA subsidy.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrover View Post
I don't know about you, but if you work for a company you tend to expect an annual review and increase - - it should be the same expectation for anyone with an annual contract.
Agreed, however in an economy like this, a lot of companies are not giving those standard wage increases to keep up with inflation. RE: My company.

I think people involved with the housing industry (along with the auto industry) should be among the first on those lists to forfeit their standard wage increases, seeing the state of their industry (not that it's their fault, but let's face it, the workers have to suffer from the suits' mistakes). But now I'm hearing that the Daybreak HOA suffers extreme mismanagement issues and tells homeowners to "deal with it" while they give themselves raises...it just doesn't seem like a good place to live with people like that affecting what you pay into something.

KMW: Thanks for the information, I'm leaning more and more toward The District but will look into Amberly townhomes as you suggested. I like the condos and townhomes my wife and I explored in Daybreak more than anything else we've seen, but I don't know if I can deal with such volatility in a homeowners association when those people have such control over your life. Bleh!

Old 12-17-2008, 02:02 PM

273 posts, read 1,134,649 times
The HOA management has had its issues here. No one can deny that. However, there have been a lot of changes in the past year or so and I believe they are doing a much better job now. Remember the rule about reading things online: people tend to post only when they have something to gripe about. For each one of them there are probably 50 who don't have a complaint.

As far as the fees go, remember you are getting a lot for your money in Daybreak. You have free access to the workout facility at the Community Center. You also get free use of canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and sailboats on the lake. There is a swimming pool that is free as well as a separate splash park for the kids. There are many free or inexpensive activities throughout the year. There are clubs and group gatherings and a lot of blocks hold street barbeques in the summer. The condo and townhouse owners get their snow removed and yards maintained by the association. There are miles of exercise paths, the lake, and a park every couple of blocks.

I personally have never lived anywhere where the neighbors are so friendly and we have made so many good friends. The diversity in Daybreak is a breath of fresh air in homogeneous Utah.

One in ten homes selling in Salt Lake County right now is in Daybreak despite the HOA and Kennecott Land rumors. Daybreak is unique and that is what causes it to still be in demand.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:08 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,150,745 times
Question Please Clarify Your Statement About West Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post

Also, if you are willing to live in West Jordan, I would look at the Amberly townhomes on 70th South & 4800 West. I know 4 families that live in the adjoining Brittany townhomes & are very happy with McArthur's construction.
KWM03160,

I don't want to misunderstand you so let me ask you to please clarify your statement above. Is there something (or many things) about WJ potential owners should know from your POV?

If so, is it neighborhoods, city government, lack of city planning until recently, or being a "drive through city." What I mean by "drive through city," is most people using Bangerter, Redwood or other major roads drive "through" West Jordan to get north to SLC or south to get to South Jordan, Riverton and Herrimen etc.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

MSR

Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,913,653 times
I think she might mean "willing" as related to location in relation to employment, housing costs, commute time, ect...the same way anyone would chose a place to live.

I don't think it was meant to bust on WJ...

Of course, I can't speak for her, that is just the impression that I got from the post.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP525 View Post
The HOA management has had its issues here. No one can deny that. However, there have been a lot of changes in the past year or so and I believe they are doing a much better job now. Remember the rule about reading things online: people tend to post only when they have something to gripe about. For each one of them there are probably 50 who don't have a complaint.
Thanks for the perspective DP. I genuinely appreciate that. It's also encouraging as we really do enjoy the places we've seen there. I just want to make sure we're doing our full due diligence. But thank you for your input.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
KWM03160,

I don't want to misunderstand you so let me ask you to please clarify your statement above. Is there something (or many things) about WJ potential owners should know from your POV?

If so, is it neighborhoods, city government, lack of city planning until recently, or being a "drive through city." What I mean by "drive through city," is most people using Bangerter, Redwood or other major roads drive "through" West Jordan to get north to SLC or south to get to South Jordan, Riverton and Herrimen etc.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

MSR
I actually really like West Jordan (even considering the inept government). I grew up in West Jordan, and lived in West Jordan up until I moved to Las Vegas. In my experience, people have a negative image of the area by the Amberly townhomes (it's near Oquirrh Shadows & Kearns), but it is a nice area. The builder is also A+ in terms of construction. I've also noticed that people looking to live in South Jordan won't even consider West Jordan.

I also really like Daybreak - in fact, when I am back in Salt Lake to see family or for business, I find myself driving through Daybreak. It's a very "pleasant" area. But, I just want people to realize it's not this great "utopia" that the builders make it out to be. I'm also concerned about affordability because of the financial problems with the HOA (deficits, no reserves, a lot of staff for so few homes, not bidding services out, etc). that will have to result in fee increases. Compound that with having to pay 2 HOA fees, I think living in Daybreak might get expensive in the future. (That's just my opinion). As another poster mentioned, there are a lot of amentities in Daybreak. I guess it comes down to how much you will use them. I also like how the Daybreak homeowners are trying to transition some things (like the Party Planner position) to a resident-driven volunteer committee. It also concerns me that there is only one resident on the board of directors, and they don't have voting rights. Depending on how long it takes to build out Daybreak, Kennecott could be in control for decades. I agree with quite a few Daybreak residents, that they recommend Daybreak "with reservation."

Also, another townhome area you may want to consider is behind Mulligan's on 10600 South - they are building new townhomes (Brad Reynolds Construction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area