Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,988 times

Advertisements

My family is buying a home in Layton and we will be moving there toward the end of July, coming from MI. I have an 11 year old son, and was wondering if anyone could tell me about King Elementary in Layton? Is it a good school or should I opt to send him somewhere else? Here at home he is in the Gifted and Talented Program, but so far I haven't been super impressed with the small amount of information I have on the Davis G&T Program. Does anyone have information on that? Pros and cons of it? What other things are available in Layton for an 11 year old? He is interested in skateboarding, and recently has developed an interest in golf. If there is any other information about Layton in general that anyone wants to share I would be grateful. I feel like I am walking in blind , I do not know what to expect. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 AM

212 posts, read 791,532 times
Default welcome to the neighborhood

Moving is so stressful. I hope it all goes well for you. My family recently moved to clearfield/Layton area from Mesa,AZ. Sorry i don't know anything about King elementary, but I can tell you that the education system here is bursting at the seams, due to the large population of children. The davis school district has just had to adopt a year round schol schedule for elementary children. There are a few charter schools around and I have heard good things about them.
There is a new skate park in Clearfield, and a golf course in Layton. Clearfield has a great indoor swimming pool with a slide. I think layton has a wave pool too.
Sorry for the vague reply. If you have any other questions I can try to find answers for you.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,988 times
Thanks for your reply. How have you found the area to be, do you like it there? My fiance is already there, living in our house and he seems to like it so far, so I am hoping I will like it, too.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Utah is my home

I like it here. I love Utah. I missed being away from the mountains, and now I just have to look out my window. They are so beautiful.

There is a mall in Layton and all the regulars store you would find in any community. The only thing I feel is missing is a great mexican restaurant.

I have meet so many great people since I've moved. Hill Air force base is here and I think it has made this area a very diverse city. Don't be shocked, you will probably have mormons in your neighborhood, (we are everywhere). That can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your attitude. (You can read more about the debate on other threads).

My only gripes are the freeways and Utah drivers. I have never seen more drivers that are like "I am driving 5 miles over the speed limit so I deserve to be in the fast lane, and I'm not going to move over." It drives me crazy. There is alot of freeway construction going on right now too. They are putting in a carpool lane from Layton to Ogden. Hopefully it will help.

Overall Utah is a great place. It is my home. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does. Any other questions I can answer, let me know.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:59 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Ut drivers

Isn't it interesting how we can have such different perspectives of the same situation.
I agree, over all most drivers are polite, (I just wish the slow pokes would get out of the fast lane).
Then again, maybe the problem is my lead foot and the need for speed.
Thanks for your perspective. I respect your opioion.
Lori

Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 16,471 times
If you hate bad drivers, stay away from Miami, FL.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:25 PM

Hi Lori!

Ah, I didn't mean to demean your comments by contradicting your observations but you're right, sometimes we see the exact same situation and walk away with totally opposite impressions. Please don't take the comments as my having any lack of respect for your opinions and observations. On another note, yup, I understand your "need for speed" and having a lead foot, I was that way too at one time. But, if you can, slow down and enjoy the sights --smell the roses, as they say. Yup, I know, that's easier said than done. *laughs*

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 PM

Hey, no offense taken!!! I recently moved from the pheonix metro area. I was used to driving with 3 million people on the roads, ( every one was in a hurry). It seems to me that the pace there was so much faster. Utah just seems to be more layed back. Have you ever been on the road and had to go around a tractor? Or have you been behind someone just out for a leisurly drive, piddling along? Have you encountered live stock on the road? I feel more layed back, but maybe my driving has yet to relax.
I appreciate the feed back.
Lori

Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM

Oh, now I understand, Lori! Phoenix!!!?? Sheesh, yeah!

Again, that Phoenix area is just like any huge metropolitan area pertaining to the way people drive. Yeah, you bet, I can see why you might be still adjusting to Salt Lake valley drivers. I'd have to assume that SLC hasn't caught up with places like Phoenix, LA, Bay Area, Seattle ...just to name a few huge metro areas on the west coast ...probably getting close though. Actually, I hope Salt Lake never does catch up. I'd hate to see it even get as bad as the Las Vegas area. For a city under a million, Las Vegas has some pretty bad drivers!

--'rocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area