U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2007, 02:14 PM

98 posts, read 398,663 times

Advertisements

Hi there I have moved from So. Cal (Orange County) to Vegas (which I don't reccomend) for my husband's school. IMMEDIATELY I was not impressed with LV, and when we found that the next part of his schooling doesn't have to be done here in Vegas... we were happy... but the only other option we have is SLC.

He is going to school for massage therapy, and the stay would probably only be temporary -

Here's the thing - does anyone have some temporary housing options? Hostiles, a decent hotel? Something? It would be probably about 2 months - and I don't have the money to be putting up a full deposit, and I don't want to take out a rental for a whole 6 months...

I have heard it is pretty there - but are there better and worse areas of SLC? What are they?

In your opinion - which would be a better choice? Las Vegas or SLC?

We aren't mormon, but I have no problem with LDS - and we can keep our faith to ourselves for a few months

And lastly - for some strange reason if we decided we liked SLC - is there any demand for massage therapy there?

Thanks so much

Rohana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 04:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,695,791 times
Well since noone has responded I'll give it a go.
I would definately choose SLC over Vegas. I've never lived in Vegas but I've been there and it istoo big. I would guess too that the crime would be lower in SL and it would be cleaner and yes it is very beautiful and if you like the outdoors there is tons to do.
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for as far as living but from the short blurp you wrote it sounds like you might like somewhere near dowtown like the Avenues. Very beautiful, older area with a lot of charm and easy access to the malls and facilities downtown. I would definately stay away from the Rose Park/Glendale area though. Crime can be very bad there. Sandy/Draper area is very nice. Low crime great area. I would also be very careful where I lived in West Valley or Magna as much of it can be bad for crime although I've heard some of the newer areas are nice.
As far as the demand for massage therapy; I would say it would be just as good here as anywhere else. Employment in general is very low here and the economy is quite good for just about any field.
Hope that helps a bit and enjoy your stay if you choose to come here! Utah is a great place!

Old 03-24-2007, 05:41 PM

16 posts, read 65,915 times
Another thing I thought I'd add. North Salt Lake has the largest density of Medical facilities.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:57 PM

18 posts, read 90,023 times
Smile From LasVegas to SLC...

Rohana, There are a few extended stay motels here that do not require a large deposit or anything like that. If you are interested I could help you get some more info about them.
I think that you will like it here. Very different from Vegas. We moved here from south of Chicago almost 2 years ago and have 6 kids. It has been really good but it can be different too. (at least when you compare it to where we came from)
I work as a Realtor here and have had a chance to see a great deal of the area. There is much to choose from. Best of luck to you and if there is anything that I can help you with let me know.

John

We aren't mormon, but I have no problem with LDS - and we can keep our faith to ourselves for a few months

PS...You do not have to be LDS to have a great time here. and PLEASE do not keep your faith to yourselves...

Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 AM

98 posts, read 398,663 times
Well, we made the mistake of moving to Vegas before getting to know it - I was thinking after I post this though - we have pets, lol.. So I think we will have to bunker down and put a deposit down for a rental *sigh*

With *bad* credit though - I guess I am just wholly nervous about another move. I've got 6 months to plan though!

How are the rental rates there - for apartments and houses? Right now, we are paying 825 for a 2 br - would it be more expensive or less expensive in SLC?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:55 PM

618 posts, read 2,548,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzilla View Post
How are the rental rates there - for apartments and houses? Right now, we are paying 825 for a 2 br - would it be more expensive or less expensive in SLC?
If you were in like really nice apartments, in rich areas like Cottonwood, or Holliday, you might pay 825 for two bedrooms. Anywhere that is really East towards the mountains will be a bit more expensive. Still cheaper than Vegas though. But look around, you can find two bedrooms for under 700. Check Craiglist. It's a free listing for classifieds, tons of private landlords advertise there.

Good luck

Old 03-26-2007, 12:50 AM

25 posts, read 90,124 times
I've found also, that through Craigslist, you're likely to find private owners, renting out their investment properties. This is good and bad for a variety of reasons.
Good things: they don't always do credit checks, are likely to allow pets because it is just an "investment," and also a short term lease is very possible.

Some bad things? Lack of property management. Your landlords probably don't live nearby, and you have to rely on email, phone calls and pestering to get things done. Renting an investment property may get you known by the neighbors as "the Renters," but if you're short term who cares?

Right now, I'm "The Renter," but hey - all 3 cats and the dog are here with me. That is more important than what people think of me for a year. :P

Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,577,278 times
I just wanted to second a recommend for North Salt Lake. It isn't an "area" of SLC, it is a town about 15 min north of the city. I believe the housing costs are lower than Sandy/Avenues/Cottonwood type areas. Traffic is also less, and still right outside city in a suburban setting.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:28 AM

18 posts, read 90,023 times
In my last post after I signed my name, what I wrote was actually a quote from Momzilla's post at the top of this page. Not sure why it didn't work with the quote but just wanted to clarify.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,175,613 times
There is also Bountiful. It is a suburb of Salt Lake and has a great view of the Great Salt Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or