Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I moved to Salt Lake in January 2005, left in October 2008. Some of the hardest years of my life, glad I got out. Sorry, Utah sucks.
Based on one of your most recent posts:

" I hate the fat people trend, period."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18050887-post129.html

You will be missed.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM

71 posts, read 193,720 times
I have lived in Utah twice. The first time I was in elementary school and the second time as an adult. I found my experiences to be largely negative in both instances. I am a very friendly, outgoing woman and have never had difficulty making friends. I had great difficulty making friends as a child in Utah because I was not LDS. Say what you will, but I know this was why. The first question I was asked by everyone was, "Are you Mormon?". When I answered that I was not, I was met with a mixture of disbelief and scorn. Of course, these were kids who had lived sheltered lives, surrounded by like-minded people. We had the same experience where we lived. When discussing where an individual lives, one is asked, "Who is your Bishop?" or "In what ward do you live?" Moving there as an adult, and wife of a military officer, I found friends easily on base. However, when trying to find a job, (with many years experience and great references), I had great difficulty. I was taken out to lunch after one interview by the women in the office, (dental office), and was asked the familiar question, "Are you LDS?" The dentist was very interested in me up until that lunch. I finally found employment with a retired Air Force dentist. I was still the only member of the staff who wasn't LDS, but as the office manager, with the ability to hire and fire, I was not hassled.

I am also the type of person who is friendly to those I do not know. I was surprised to receive glares when smiling and simply saying "hello". I finally gave up. Luckily, we moved away after three years. It is too bad the people aren't more accepting of people with different beliefs. The state is beautiful, though the air quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjag45 View Post
I have lived in Utah twice. The first time I was in elementary school and the second time as an adult. I found my experiences to be largely negative in both instances. I am a very friendly, outgoing woman and have never had difficulty making friends. I had great difficulty making friends as a child in Utah because I was not LDS. Say what you will, but I know this was why. The first question I was asked by everyone was, "Are you Mormon?". When I answered that I was not, I was met with a mixture of disbelief and scorn. Of course, these were kids who had lived sheltered lives, surrounded by like-minded people. We had the same experience where we lived. When discussing where an individual lives, one is asked, "Who is your Bishop?" or "In what ward do you live?" Moving there as an adult, and wife of a military officer, I found friends easily on base. However, when trying to find a job, (with many years experience and great references), I had great difficulty. I was taken out to lunch after one interview by the women in the office, (dental office), and was asked the familiar question, "Are you LDS?" The dentist was very interested in me up until that lunch. I finally found employment with a retired Air Force dentist. I was still the only member of the staff who wasn't LDS, but as the office manager, with the ability to hire and fire, I was not hassled.

I am also the type of person who is friendly to those I do not know. I was surprised to receive glares when smiling and simply saying "hello". I finally gave up. Luckily, we moved away after three years. It is too bad the people aren't more accepting of people with different beliefs. The state is beautiful, though the air quality leaves a lot to be desired.
I don't know what to say and I'm not questioning anything you said happened to. I do know, however, based upon most of the posts from non-LDS people on this forum, your experience is the exception rather than the rule. I hope you're happier where you are now.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
People who've left NM post on our boards all the time.....they are free to express their opinion. I didn't say there aren't good people in Utah....there are. The area as a whole, though, was not for me & I'm glad I left. Frankly, there are few places in the states that compare with Texas & Austin in particular.....Salt Lake will never be as popular!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceepc View Post
Well, we're glad you left. We wouldn't want you to suffer here - since Utah sucks so much. There must be something wrong with those of us who love it here . . .

I hope you're happy in your new location - please write your next post in that area of this website.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Frankly, there are few places in the states that compare with Texas & Austin in particular.....Salt Lake will never be as popular!
I didn't even know about the contest!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM

62 posts, read 251,724 times
Quote:
People who've left NM post on our boards all the time.....they are free to express their opinion. I didn't say there aren't good people in Utah....there are. The area as a whole, though, was not for me & I'm glad I left. Frankly, there are few places in the states that compare with Texas & Austin in particular.....Salt Lake will never be as popular!
Didn't know we were in a popularity contest. There is no contest - it's all opinion. My opinion - lived in Texas, and it's very difficult to make friends there - I mean close friends. People are friendly to your face but they will not let you be a "close" friend until you have known them for at least 2 years. A friend of mine had the same experience living in another town in Texas.

Despite that it's a hard place to make friends, I loved Texas. However, my real friends are in Utah, hence, we moved back.

My only beef with your original post is the disrespect of "Utah sucks". (That's so yesterday.) Utah is just a piece of ground as is every other place to live. If you're talking about people, then you are being disrespectful.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjag45 View Post

Posts like this make me think I am just not paying attention. I don't get it.

My wife just got a new job, she had to go through interviews with 4 different people. Not once was religion even hinted at, same with her last job. Her new boss waited a week to even ask if she has kids.

A few things that stick out to me are one, don't LDS call themselves LDS? I don't think they would say "are you Mormon?" Plus why would a neighbor ask what ward you are in, aren't wards based around a neighborhood?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I didn't even know about the contest!
Of course, it is a popularity contest and that is how most of us decide where we would be willing to live as adults. Popular is in the eye of the beholder mind you, but still.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Anywhere you go there are going to be a few people who are a bit special, why let it ruin your opion of a place or a religon, kind of silly and time consumeing to me if you think about it. Yes we had a bit of a hard time in PG, not blameing anyone but the people who were rude to us there, and even then cant really be mad at them actually I felt sorry for them, because they were so mean. Utah is a good place to live and LDS people are good people.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Of course, it is a popularity contest and that is how most of us decide where we would be willing to live as adults. Popular is in the eye of the beholder mind you, but still.
I see it differently. I don't think people in Utah are all that intent on having more people move here than anywhere else. We all just want to be happy with the choices we've made for ourselves and our families. Utah is great for some people and not so great for others. If somebody likes Texas better than Utah, I know I certainly don't feel like Texas just scored a point or that we lost one. It was the statement, "Utah will never be as popular [as Texas]," that struck me as silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area