Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Well I don't know about the other posters, I am speaking from my own experiences when my family lived in Utah. I find it offensive that you are suggesting that I am not being truthfull.

Again, my personal experience was when they found out I was not LDS they no longer had an interest in speaking with me, or getting to know me. I never "recoiled in horror" when asked, I simply would state I am not LDS. What would I gain by exaggeratig things? Nothing. Again, you are making judgements about me, as most LDS did when I lived there, without knowing me.

Everyone has different experiences and to say one's isn't true because it is too similar to others is ridiculous. Based on that statement you are saying that everyone on this post that said Utah is a great place to live and they have had no issues, they are not telling the truth because their posts are too similar?
I am a skeptic, most posts such as yours are out of the blue by people who are brand new here and have only made a few posts.

I am not saying you aren't telling the truth, I am just questioning your perception or if you may have contributed in the situation. As they say, it takes two to tango. I imagine most LDS after spending two years knocking on strangers doors, get very good at reading faces.

Another angle may be that they are busy in their own lives so they didn't go out of their way to come back to talk to you. Did you ever go knock on their doors just to talk?

Maybe Utah county is as different as you say, maybe you were on a very bad street, I can't say, again I am only hearing one side of it.

Most people who like it here do have some issues but it seems if everyone has different was of dealing with issues, I know I do.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I am a skeptic, most posts such as yours are out of the blue by people who are brand new here and have only made a few posts.

I am not saying you aren't telling the truth, I am just questioning your perception or if you may have contributed in the situation. As they say, it takes two to tango. I imagine most LDS after spending two years knocking on strangers doors, get very good at reading faces.

Another angle may be that they are busy in their own lives so they didn't go out of their way to come back to talk to you. Did you ever go knock on their doors just to talk?

Maybe Utah county is as different as you say, maybe you were on a very bad street, I can't say, again I am only hearing one side of it.

Most people who like it here do have some issues but it seems if everyone has different was of dealing with issues, I know I do.
I came on here to give my honest opinion of what my experience was living in Utah. You can believe me or not, I really don't care. I just find it sad that you would automatically think I'm not truthfull. Done.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Kids would ask her if she went to church, she would say no and they would tell her she is going to go to hell because she doesn't go to church.
Well, I'd be extremely surprised if it was LDS kids who were telling her that. The reason I say this is because that is not what we teach our kids. My sister, UtahRoots, who is not LDS but was raised in the LDS Church, will back me up on that one.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
This is not true, when we moved to Utah and started meeting people in our neighborhood they would ask us what "Ward" we belonged to. Every time I was introduced to someone, they always asked the same question.
I just love it when someone accuses me of being dishonest. Let me clarify... When I use the word "neighborhood," I meant your street or maybe just around the block. People who live that close to each other belong to the same ward. That is a 100% factual statement and there are no exceptions. Now let's say you were volunteering at a school function. Since there are so many Mormons in the Salt Lake valley, the ward boundaries may only include an area of a few blocks. You could meet someone whose kids attended the same school as yours did and that person might be in a different ward than you. At any rate, I can totally understand why the question would be irritating. I would never ask such a question myself unless the person had previously said something that made it pretty clear to me that he was LDS. Otherwise, I wouldn't. Furthermore, I wouldn't ask someone's religion either. I still contend that to insinuate that most Mormons would react with "shock" to learn that someone was not LDS. It's not exactly as if we're a 95% majority.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I find it offensive that you are suggesting that I am not being truthfull.
And yet that was exactly what you were suggesting when you started a post quoting me by saying, "This is not true."

You also failed to mention how many neighborhoods you lived in while you were in Utah. I'm LDS and I know that one neighborhood my husband lived in was extremely unfriendly towards us. Even the LDS families didn't want to have much to do with us. Once, shortly after we moved in to our house, my husband once went over to the church to help set up tables and chairs for a ward dinner. He was gone for an hour and a half. When he got home, he told me not one person had spoken to him. We only stayed in that neighborhood for six months -- even though we had bought the house. While the unfriendliness alone didn't drive us out, it was definitely a factor.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just love it when someone accuses me of being dishonest. Let me clarify... When I use the word "neighborhood," I meant your street or maybe just around the block. People who live that close to each other belong to the same ward. That is a 100% factual statement and there are no exceptions. Now let's say you were volunteering at a school function. Since there are so many Mormons in the Salt Lake valley, the ward boundaries may only include an area of a few blocks. You could meet someone whose kids attended the same school as yours did and that person might be in a different ward than you. At any rate, I can totally understand why the question would be irritating. I would never ask such a question myself unless the person had previously said something that made it pretty clear to me that he was LDS. Otherwise, I wouldn't. Furthermore, I wouldn't ask someone's religion either. I still contend that to insinuate that most Mormons would react with "shock" to learn that someone was not LDS. It's not exactly as if we're a 95% majority.
I was not meaning to call you dishonest. To me, neighborhood can consist of a large area, that is what I was commenting on. The HOA we lived in was quite large, so not everyone went to the same church, some went to the large one off Redwood Road, and other went to another further down the road. Before we moved they were building a church in our HOA community. People on my street did know I was not LDS because when we moved in we obviously didn't go to the church, it was people I met casually, as in I was invited to a neighbors for a get together, or volunteering at my daughers elementary school I would say 90% of the time I was asked what ward I belonged to. I in no way was meaning to call you dishonest and I apologize if I offended you.

Last edited by lauramc27; 03-10-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
And yet that was exactly what you were suggesting when you started a post quoting me by saying, "This is not true."

You also failed to mention how many neighborhoods you lived in while you were in Utah. I'm LDS and I know that one neighborhood my husband lived in was extremely unfriendly towards us. Even the LDS families didn't want to have much to do with us. Once, shortly after we moved in to our house, my husband once went over to the church to help set up tables and chairs for a ward dinner. He was gone for an hour and a half. When he got home, he told me not one person had spoken to him. We only stayed in that neighborhood for six months -- even though we had bought the house. While the unfriendliness alone didn't drive us out, it was definitely a factor.
Since we purchased a house there we only lived in that one neighborhood. We did not have the option of moving to a different area. Again, I am giving my experience and not all people have the same experiences. Possibly if we had been in a different neighborhood it would have been different. I did come to realize that if we had lived in Salt Lake County, as many of our friends did, it may not have been so bad.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Well, I'd be extremely surprised if it was LDS kids who were telling her that. The reason I say this is because that is not what we teach our kids. My sister, UtahRoots, who is not LDS but was raised in the LDS Church, will back me up on that one.
Again, that is what my daughter told me was said to her. She came home crying saying she was going to go to hell because she doesn't go to church. I asked her where she heard that and she told me her friend told her that. Believe it or not, that is what she told me happened.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
Maybe the little girl went to a different church then LDS. I have atteneded 2 non denominational churches out here myself and was shocked at how judgemental they were.One boy at my sons school told him he was going to hell and it gave him nightmares for a week so I know how it can feel, however it did not dawn on me to even think what religon the little boy was. Now I have had a few Catholics balk at me because I was raised Lutheran, my husbands uncle would not baptize my son because of me not being catholi, wich in all honesty was okay to me he was being truthfull and true to his belifes.Being cruel or unkind has nothing to do with religon.

Last edited by michelleleigh; 03-11-2011 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I in no way was meaning to call you dishonest and I apologize if I offended you.
No problem. Apology accepted, and I do sympathize with how it must have felt to constantly be asked that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area