Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,562 times

Advertisements

Hi: My husband and I and my 3 month old are moving to SLC area in 2 months. We are looking for a 4 Br home with a backyard in a nice family friendly neighborhood in 300-350k price range. We will be working at the university of utah.
I was wondering if someone could help me with areas to live? Possibly cottonwood hts vs. sugarhouse? Any others? We do not want to commute more than 20 minutes with the baby . How is the commute from cottonwood heights to the university in peak traffic? We drove in non-peak traffic and it took 18 minutes. Does the 215 get congested in peak traffic?
Also, how are the schools in cottonwood area? Any good day care options in cottonwood or around the university?

Thanks much in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,665,464 times
Most of Sugar House was built in the 1920s-1940s. Small houses with 2 or 3 bedrooms. There are some enclaves where old property was turned into PUDs or new houses built - one is along 1700 South between 1700 East and 2000 East. Those houses look expensive but not sure what they sold for. There are renovated houses in Sugar House with finished basements maybe in your price range. Everything is selling for less these days. There's a new 4 bedroom house with mother-in-law on the corner of 2000 South and 15oo East asking $425,000. Most yards in Sugar House are smaller, .12 acre, but the houses are smaller, too, so you have a back yard.

Not sure but I think the commute in traffic would be much longer. In traffic, it used to take me 15 min. to get from roughly Sugar House Park to the VA Hospital (across the road from the U).

Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM

550 posts, read 2,163,881 times
You can find what you're looking for in both areas - Sugarhouse is a more older area with more of that charming cachet and the hip neighborhoods ("Downtown" Sugarhouse around Highland and 21st, 15th and 15th, etc.) while Cottonwood Heights is more of a typical upscale suburb. You'll be more likely to find larger homes in Cottonwood Heights though I'm sure you can find 4 bedroom-homes in Sugarhouse without a problem.

In terms of commute, Sugarhouse would be the better pick, although Cottonwood Heights isn't all that bad either - just hop on I-215 (which is a good commute for the most part) and connect onto Foothill Blvd. which directly takes you to the U. Really, you'll be good in both places.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM

49 posts, read 131,280 times
Foothill Boulevard is horrific at rush hour, tho.

I live in Sandy and used to commute to the U. there daily. USED to take 30 minutes from 9400 South Now? Nothing short of 75 minutes.

Foothill is the kiss of death of commutes. There's no other way.

So living closer (in Sugarhouse or Olympus Hills) would probably cut your time in traffic.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,807,972 times
Check the area south east of South 1300 East and East 2700 south.
Thestreets are all starting with the alphabet. Older area, but clean and not too small.
Easy commute to the U

Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM

14,349 posts, read 14,165,853 times
Try Federal Heights near the University. It maybe more pricey than you can afford, but in this housing market I'd give it a try. You might find a real bargain.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 PM

762 posts, read 2,111,890 times
Cottonwood Heights during rush hours will be way too long a commute for you. I live near the University and often commute to Cottonwood Heights, and even that "reverse" commute is 30-45 minutes during heavy traffic times.

Sugar House, as wonderful as it is, will probably only have the size of home you'd like if you get far enough east or near the Salt Lake Country Club. I second Federal Heights, or the upper Avenues. Olympus Cove, as we mentioned, or East Millcreek would be other relatively nearby options.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Try Federal Heights near the University. It maybe more pricey than you can afford, but in this housing market I'd give it a try. You might find a real bargain.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,562 times
Thank you all so very much---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area