Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a perspective on what it's like as a pedestrian in East Downtown SLC? I've had some real close calls while walking on sidewalks, crossing in cross walks with right of way, and it happens everytime I'm in town walking around. I mean really, someone said it, moms on cell phones with a boat load of kids are the worst offenders and they will NOT look out for pedestrians at all, I think their vocabulary doesn't even recognize that word. It's really quite disturbing, as I was even almost mowed down in the Smiths (5th/5th) parking lot. Everybody seems to only be concerned about their own self, their own schedule, etc. I know it's a real problem, have even seen bilboard ads about ped vs. vehicle accidents.
.................................................. ........................................

I'm the one who made the comment about moms and cell phones with lots of kids.

I don't really know if the auto-pedestrian thing is worse here than elsewhere. What I do know is that the average person here will blame the pedestrian if there is any accident involving a car. I personally think they do this because they find it easier to relate to the driver than to the pedestrian. And, they are more likely to see themselves hitting a pedestrian as a driver than being hit by a driver while crossing a street.

Its so bad that I think the pedestrian could be clearly in the right. He could be standing in a designated pedestrian lane in broad daylight on a straight, flat street with a low speed limit and bang--if there's an accident--by golly, the average Utahn would blame the pedestrian. How dare that fool cross the street! That poor driver of that car. He will now feel guilty for the rest of his life!

I think it ought to be the other way around. Driving a car is a huge responsibility. If it can't be done safely (and that includes stopping at pedestrian lanes when they are occupied or when other cars are stopped) than you have no business driving at all. Unfortunately, too many people approach driving an automobile as a "right" instead of a privilege. The focus shouldn't be on their "right" to drive. There are buses and other mass transit for those not opt to the task of operating a motor vehicle. The focus ought to be on the safety of the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Does anyone have a perspective on what it's like as a pedestrian in East Downtown SLC? I've had some real close calls while walking on sidewalks, crossing in cross walks with right of way, and it happens everytime I'm in town walking around. I mean really, someone said it, moms on cell phones with a boat load of kids are the worst offenders and they will NOT look out for pedestrians at all, I think their vocabulary doesn't even recognize that word. It's really quite disturbing, as I was even almost mowed down in the Smiths (5th/5th) parking lot. Everybody seems to only be concerned about their own self, their own schedule, etc. I know it's a real problem, have even seen bilboard ads about ped vs. vehicle accidents.
.................................................. ........................................

I'm the one who made the comment about moms and cell phones with lots of kids.

I don't really know if the auto-pedestrian thing is worse here than elsewhere. What I do know is that the average person here will blame the pedestrian if there is any accident involving a car. I personally think they do this because they find it easier to relate to the driver than to the pedestrian. And, they are more likely to see themselves hitting a pedestrian as a driver than being hit by a driver while crossing a street.

Its so bad that I think the pedestrian could be clearly in the right. He could be standing in a designated pedestrian lane in broad daylight on a straight, flat street with a low speed limit and bang--if there's an accident--by golly, the average Utahn would blame the pedestrian. How dare that fool cross the street! That poor driver of that car. He will now feel guilty for the rest of his life!

I think it ought to be the other way around. Driving a car is a huge responsibility. If it can't be done safely (and that includes stopping at pedestrian lanes when they are occupied or when other cars are stopped) than you have no business driving at all. Unfortunately, too many people approach driving an automobile as a "right" instead of a privilege. The focus shouldn't be on their "right" to drive. There are buses and other mass transit for those not opt to the task of operating a motor vehicle. The focus ought to be on the safety of the public.
i definitely don't agree with this generalization, but i do get royally irked by how many people are oblivious of pedestrians. i walk and ride a bike a good portion of the places i go, and i always assume that the drivers around me are idiots, because when i have treated them as if they were competent, then i have just narrowly dodged becoming roadkill.

i have been hit by a car while riding my bike (i was still half way on the sidewalk too when he nailed me), and i have had so many close calls that i can't count them.

oblivious drivers are one of my personal pet peeves, and i always feel the urge to pick up a rock and knock out their back window as they race past. unfortunately, i don't have the money put away to get me out of trouble every time i smashed someone's car window, so i might just have to start carrying a paintball gun instead...

Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i definitely don't agree with this generalization, but i do get royally irked by how many people are oblivious of pedestrians. i walk and ride a bike a good portion of the places i go, and i always assume that the drivers around me are idiots, because when i have treated them as if they were competent, then i have just narrowly dodged becoming roadkill.

i have been hit by a car while riding my bike (i was still half way on the sidewalk too when he nailed me), and i have had so many close calls that i can't count them.

oblivious drivers are one of my personal pet peeves, and i always feel the urge to pick up a rock and knock out their back window as they race past. unfortunately, i don't have the money put away to get me out of trouble every time i smashed someone's car window, so i might just have to start carrying a paintball gun instead...

I have had so many close calls, walking and biking its not even funny. I don't bike any longer on city streets. It's very dangerous here as a ped.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:53 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280milehiguy View Post
I have had so many close calls, walking and biking its not even funny. I don't bike any longer on city streets. It's very dangerous here as a ped.
yeah. i very often end up analyzing the adrenaline rush as i'm nearly run over by a jerk in a jacked up truck or an suv with a dvd player running, and find it comparable to my exciting moments in iraq (building clearing, ied explosions, sniper shots, mortar attacks, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area