Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 61,604 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at the possiblity of relocating to the Salt Lake City area. We are not LDS and have no plans of becoming LDS. I do however, respect their religion and their choice to assemble in Utah but at the same time, I do not want my children to be alienated for not being part of the LDS community/faith. Can anyone suggest a mid to upper middle class suburb that welcomes the Non-LDS transient community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 PM

50 posts, read 223,388 times
I am a non-LDS person who has lived in Utah most of my life. Utah has changed a lot in the last few years and is more diverse (culturally and religiously) than ever before, and I think people are more accepting as well. I think you would do well in any of the suburbs of Salt Lake in Salt Lake County. I have also had a very enjoyable time when I lived in Bountiful, which does have a high concentration of LDS people, at least in the area I lived. My personal opinion would be to stay away from Utah county. I have had a difficult time there in the past, and I know other who have as well. (I'm sure I'll soon hear from all the LDS people in Utah county saying they are just as accepting as all the rest.... but, it's still my opinion.)

Personally, I like the new west side of West Valley City. There is a new subdivision going in near 5600 W 3100 S that I especially like. There are new Ivory homes going in there. (I think the neighborhood is called Highbury.) The group of people is diverse and everybody is welcome and fits in- doesn't matter your color or your religion. There is the West Valley rec center and park right across the street as well, so lots of activities for the kids in the summer and winter. I don't know if I would consider it "upper" class in comparison to other parts of the valley, but it would still be my choice, even if I had the money to live somewhere else. West Valley City gets a bad reputation sometimes, and there are definately parts to stay away from, but there are really nice areas, too.

There are some beautiful new areas of South Jordan, as well, that I think would meet what you are looking for. And certainly in this area, there would be more expensive neighborhoods that would be considered "upper class". Also, you'd fit in fine anywhere on the east side of town. There are some gorgeous neighborhoods on the east side, but most of the neighborhoods are older and well established. It makes for a good housing market and beautiful landscaping, but it's not the usual place most young families look to start making a home. Therefore, I don't think you will find as high a density of younger children in that part of town.

Good look on your search.

(Sidenote: I think most men and especially business men will accept you no matter what. The men (for the most part) don't go around asking what relgion you are. I have never had a problem not being accepted by a man, neither has my husband or children. The problem I have found is with the women, primarily the stay-at-home moms. They form play-groups and such with the other LDS moms in the neighborhood and encourage their children to play together with other "members". In primarily LDS neighborhoods this leaves the "non-member" children to be alone and iscolated, without friends. For some, I don't think they realize how hurtful they can be. But, again, I think you'll be fine as long as you stay away from Utah county. Anyway, that's just my OPINION based on being a non-LDS person who has a family and has lived in all three counties along the wasatch front.)

Old 04-01-2007, 03:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,405,563 times
The Ogden area is pretty diverse and more liberal. Downtown Salt Lake City also.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 PM

11 posts, read 61,604 times
Default thanks!

Thank you to all who took the time to respond to my husband's post! We are faced with a potential job transfer (down the road) and we're not sure if we should jump at the current opportunity in Salt Lake City or wait to see what else comes available. Your postings have eased some of the concerns we have regarding fitting into the community. Like my husband stated...we have respect for all religions and beliefs. We just want to feel like part of the community regardless of what church we belong to.

Salt Lake City looks beautiful!

Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 AM

617 posts, read 2,817,360 times
You don't need to worry about Salt Lake. You wont feel alienated. I would say that the percentage of LDS members in Salt Lake is about 45-50%. Holliday, Utah is a really nice area, lots of diversity. It is right next to the Mountains, you might like it there.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM

378 posts, read 1,901,988 times
Park City is the most diverse (non-mormon) wise in the Salt Lake Area. Park is not however the most racially diverse lol.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM

91 posts, read 482,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamy View Post
My wife and I are looking at the possiblity of relocating to the Salt Lake City area. We are not LDS and have no plans of becoming LDS. I do however, respect their religion and their choice to assemble in Utah but at the same time, I do not want my children to be alienated for not being part of the LDS community/faith. Can anyone suggest a mid to upper middle class suburb that welcomes the Non-LDS transient community?
There are MANY majority non LDS areas in SL county, the problem with your question is the Upper middle class part, while SLC would not have ghettos there are areas that are less desireable and tend to be the lower population of LDS. West Valley is less LDS and I would say south Salt lake and Murray, but not the greatest of all areas. Park city is maybe 20% LDS, maybe but EXTREMELY expensive, an example. I work for albertsons grocery and you get a five dollar an hour raise to work at the park city store(the only area to do any such thing) this puts the wage higher than california stores. I know people who drive two hours each way to work there because there's no possible way imaginable to live there on $18 an hour.

Last edited by thompson84606; 04-04-2007 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area