Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,626 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm about to graduate from college in Georgia and I'm looking into relocating to Utah. I am LDS and ultimately I'd like to work for the LDS church. I'm a media student, so I'd love to work with making films or generally television broadcasts. Does anyone have an idea as to what direction I could start looking into? I'm at a complete loss, surely those who make LDS church films and produce the broadcasts must've gotten their jobs somehow. Any advice would be wonderful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Contact your bishop for recommendations.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:36 AM

347 posts, read 1,567,157 times
The church issued a hiring freeze recently and I don't know how long that will last.

These are the things you need to know about working for the church:
You have to wear a tie every day, even in the creative fields where NOBODY dresses like that.
They pay terribly. It's considered an honor just to work with them and they pay accordingly.
It helps if you know someone. Seriously.

Nepotism is a big issue in the church as well as Utah in general. Just be aware that you'll have to get out there and make a name for yourself before anyone will give you the time of day.

They like to hire younger people with less experience (so they can pay less, I suppose.)

Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteriley View Post
I'm a media student, so I'd love to work with making films or generally television broadcasts. Does anyone have an idea as to what direction I could start looking into? I'm at a complete loss,
Uhmmm ....

Ever thought of contacting *the Church* ????

Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Why would you want to work for the "Church"? Do you get a discount on tithing? I always thought people that worked for the Church did so cause they couldn't hack it in a regular job. Why does the Church even need a media department? Is that a waste of money? Wouldn't that money be better spent on feeding the hungry, clothing the naked and healing the sick?

Seems like the Corporate Church doesn't even know what it's true purpose is anymore. That's why I quit.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 AM

347 posts, read 1,567,157 times
Ooohkay, Stiffnecked. You might want to dial down the bitterness a bit. All large churches have a media department. They're just trying to get the word out--hoping more people will be inspired to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and heal the sick.

Competetion for church jobs is stiff. Don't be dicouraged, just be prepared to get a job elsewhere until you can find something at the church.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:17 PM

No, our church has no media department. We saw no need to waste money like that.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM

287 posts, read 768,695 times
The media department also is used to create teaching materials. And The LDS church bends over backwards to feed the hungry and clothe the naked. And heal the sick and teach poverty stricken countries how to purify water and farm and send emergency supplies to areas hit by natural disasters, to provide wheelchairs for people who have only been able to crawl, to provide desks and chairs and pianos for schools in 3rd world countries. And that's just a few examples. Here's the website to learn more about the rest of the humanitarian efforts of the church. Humanitarian Services

Stiffnecked, you are sadly off base. So sorry you left under false impressions. You're always welcome to come back and join us in these tremendous acts of love and service to the world.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 AM

The church wastes more money on crap than they do good works with. I'm sorry you've been so delusioned by the LDS Media machine. Once you get out from under the thumb of it things appear as they truely are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area