Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 PM

72 posts, read 200,847 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

I have found a position that will have an interest for me but before applying for it I would like to get some info as I dont know at all Salt Lake.
Job will be by Fort Douglas, Director Level.
I am from France and have nejoyed 5 years on the east Coast (princeton), I have a wife and 3 kids 1 to 10 years of age. We enjoy outdoor (main reason for leaving Princeton) skiing, camping etc... We also enjoy good food and a glass or more of wine in our garden.... We are not going to any church and do not intend to do so and be accepted as we are as we accept others as they are. We are used to divers communities wih a mix of various countries and background...
So I am looking to have information on where I shall try to look for housing ( I don't mind a 20 to 30 min drive), price wise I believe it will be cheaper in may ways than Princeton nj so might don't ahve any limit, is there some more "international" area around Salt Lake city ?

Any info would be usefull as I am strating from scratch...

Cheers
Pecosbill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM

How about : Cottonwood Heights ?

There is a whole food so must be a nice place
Thanks again
Pecosbill

Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
The area around Foothill Drive and also the area known as "The Avenues" would be good choices. Many university people live close by in those areas so should have a better mix of people not from here. There is a Whole Foods on 400 South and 700 East and also one in the Sugar House cneter.

I don't go to church nor do I know many who do - I moved here 8 yrs ago for work. You will love the climate - 4 real seasons, very dry air, lowish crime on the East side of town. Good luck!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-07-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecosbill View Post
hello everyone,

I have found a position that will have an interest for me but before applying for it I would like to get some info as I dont know at all Salt Lake.
Job will be by Fort Douglas, Director Level.
I am from France and have nejoyed 5 years on the east Coast (princeton), I have a wife and 3 kids 1 to 10 years of age. We enjoy outdoor (main reason for leaving Princeton) skiing, camping etc... We also enjoy good food and a glass or more of wine in our garden.... We are not going to any church and do not intend to do so and be accepted as we are as we accept others as they are. We are used to divers communities wih a mix of various countries and background...
So I am looking to have information on where I shall try to look for housing ( I don't mind a 20 to 30 min drive), price wise I believe it will be cheaper in may ways than Princeton nj so might don't ahve any limit, is there some more "international" area around Salt Lake city ?

Any info would be usefull as I am strating from scratch...

Cheers
Pecosbill
If you don't have a price limit and don't mind a minimal commute (20-30 mins) I would reccommend Park City. It is absolutely beautiful, has a lot of tourists because of the ski resorts, and is more liberal in views than the rest of the valley. It also has a good school system. It is in the mountains, so your commute might be more difficult in the wintertime, but Ft Douglas is not far from I-80 which goes up to PC. Just my two cents, I am not officially a Utahn yet, but my significant other and I spent the weekend in Park City a few weeks back, and absolutely loved it!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Yes, PC is an option. But I-80 will back up once in a while and it could take you more than 1 hr to get home.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Consider any of the following:

1. The Avenues
2. Federal Heights
3. Cottonwood Heights
4. Sugarhouse
5. Harvard/Yalecrest Area
6. East of Foothill Boulevard near University of Utah
7. Emigration Canyon/and the area around the Hogle Zoo

Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yes, PC is an option. But I-80 will back up once in a while and it could take you more than 1 hr to get home.
I wouldn't consider Park City, either. Winter commute up and down the canyon, both morning and evening, can be a HUGE headache with the snow. Turns a normally 30-minute commute into 90, not to mention being somewhat dangerous.

I second most of MarkG's suggestions, but my preferences for someone in your situation (international, diverse, price not a big issue, children, work at U of U) would be:
1) Federal Heights
2) Avenues
3) Harvard/Yale/Gilmer Park
4) East Central City (100 South to 900 South, 900 East to U of U campus)
5) East Sugarhouse (Country Club)
6) East of Foothill

I'd stay away from Cottonwood Heights, if only because you can get just as nice of homes and neighborhoods in the areas above, but much closer to your job. CH is 20-30 minutes commute, while the areas above are 5-10 minutes.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 PM

11 posts, read 30,845 times
15th and 15th area (I'm not sure if it's considered in the Harvard/Yale neighborhood), and the Avenues/Capitol Hill area would be my best bet to find what you're looking for. A lot of historic homes and funky bungalows. Neighborhoods with comfortable lifestyles and (for UT) a more diverse population than found elsewhere. They are both close to the U (Fort Douglas) and away from "cookie cutter," chain restaurants, etc.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Thank you all for the information. I will start digging into the search. I agree that eventhough I love to leave in PC this might become hazardous in Winter.
Does anyone now about "green" communities with Solar powered houses for exemple ? I know it is growing in California and Colorado but not sure about Salt lake area ?
I would also be interested in an area with some open areas, bike lane, rec center... I don't mind too much the cookie cutter homes as long as well designed

Thanks again
Pecosbill

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 AM

We get so little sun in the long winter that I don't think that would work. In the areas we mentioned, well, those are older areas with no planned communities except PUDS where something was torn down. You really need to visit and drive around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area