Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,853 times

Advertisements

Am really confused about these two schools can anyone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 PM

498 posts, read 1,448,615 times
Waterford is probably a better school academically (probably the best in the state, for that matter). The challenger school has a few "campuses" in Salt Lake, as well as in other states, and Waterford only has one, in Sandy. Also, I believe Challenger only has grades k-8.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 AM

347 posts, read 1,561,565 times
Challenger is a bit obsessed with test scores. They are very proud of their students scoring over 90% on standardized testing. Their academics reflect that. Math, science and reading are definitely pushed more than the arts. Foreign languages are not taught, unless you sign up for an after-school option. Also, the class sizes are large (average of over 25 kids per class. For a private school I think it's ridiculous.) They definitely push the academics, big time. My kids went there for a couple of years and I didn't really care for the pushy academics. I thought it was over-the-top. I wanted my kids to have a well-rounded education that featured the arts a lot more.

Waterford has a great reputation, although I think people just assume it's great because it costs so much. My sister taught there for five years up until recently. She said that while it is a very good school, it isn't great. Something that most people don't know is that they have A LOT of kids with ADD/ADHD (like 20-30% of their students.) Unfortunatley the teachers are not given extra training on how to deal with these students, so there can be some real problems.

Waterford has a lot more extra-curricular opportunities than Challenger. Plus the campus is a lot nicer (which you pay for, obviously.)

For my money I would say Carden Memorial in sugarhouse is the best school around (they are only k-8 as are many private schools in Utah.)

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
A few years ago, Waterford was advertising for a clinical psychologist to work there. I didn't realize so many students had ADD/ADHD but now it makes sense.

Don't know if it's true, but I heard it was pretty snobby there and that's where the Marriott kids went.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,482,921 times
You really need to go visit the schools and interview with them. They will tell you their approaches to education and between that and the physical surroundings you will get a pretty accurate feel of how they feel education should be instilled. Most likely you will love the schools you mention or hate them--probably not much in the middle. They are very staunch in their approach and beliefs so you're going to think "wow, great approach!" or "wow, I would never send my kid here."

Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM

347 posts, read 1,561,565 times
From what I've heard Roland Hall is much, much more snobbish than Waterford.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM

498 posts, read 1,448,615 times
^ I've heard the same, but also from my own experiences, it seems like that's a popular place for rich parents to dump their kids after a public school doesn't work out (for one reason or another).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area