Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 19,844 times

Advertisements

Ok sorry if relocation threads are being beaten to death!!

I've found some great rental houses that say they are in sugerhouse, but they are priced a little too good, like in the 1,100, 1,200 range. We are going down there in a few weeks to look, but I was wondering if someone could break down that area of SLC for me. We have a young family so I want to be sure to be in a safe area. If you can also break down sandy -draper. We want to live in a nice area. We're ex-mormons so being around LDS people won't really bother us, but I'd like to be in an area where there are plenty of non-mormon people.

Our rental range is like 1,300 max (thanks to the fact that we own the home we live in and will have to rent it out ) and my hubs will be commuting downtown.

Would love love love park city, but it seems so pricey. Does anyone know of nice apartments that are 3 bedrooms and affordable?

Thanks ya'll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Sugarhouse is a great area to live in, and that price for rent seems about right. Sugarhouse is located downtown. It is an older area with lots of bungalows and charm! I am not sure how many young families you will find there, although I am sure there will be some. It is a diverse and safe area.

Finding an area with lots of non mormons is a bit of hit or miss. I would say that Sugarhouse living would get you more non LDS neighbors more than Sandy/Draper. However, it isn't like all the non's are corralled into one town. I would stay away from Utah County, as it is predominately LDS. Other than that, mostly it is just about finding a town you think you will like and be friendly, which it sounds like you are!

Welcome to Utah!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
Sugar house is a decent area but its a bit older and alot of the houses are a bit smaller so that rent seems about right to me. We just moved to holladay (not far away) at about 1500 east and 3300 ish south and found a pretty good deal on a big place. The general area is nice though, I like it

Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 AM

39 posts, read 103,305 times
I just went through this about a year ago and I don't imagine the rental market has changed too much since then. We also had to rent out the house we left behind in Tennessee and take a rental here. The prices you are seeing are probably about right, depending on the square footage you're looking at. Anything with a fully finished basement and over, say 1600 sq ft of living area will likely go a little bit higher, closer to the $1500 + range. In the Sugar House area, you should probably see anywhere from just under to just over $1 per square foot on the rent. To be sure, this could vary depending on the condition of the home, size of yard, extra amenities, or situation of the landlord.

I am very pleased with the area. I live just a hair north of what is "Sugar House proper" (at least I think--- I'm kind of between Sugar House and Harvard/Yale). I can't really speak to other areas of SLC for comparison, but religion has not been an issue for us in our neighborhood. For the most part, I don't exactly know who is LDS and who isn't among my neighbors, and they don't seem to care what we are/aren't either (my wife is Catholic, I am unaffiliated :-) ). We are a young family with a 2 year old son and there seem to be plenty like us in the area.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: