Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's because a lot of people hate Mormons and Mormonism -- plain and simple. I don't believe I am being touchy or overly-sentitive. I just think it's a fact of life. Sometimes it bugs me. Sometimes it annoys the hell out of me. Sometimes it just amuses me. It all depends on my mood. One thing I've noticed about this particular site, though, is that a lot of non-Mormons have a lot of good things to say about their Mormon neighbors and co-workers and about life in Salt Lake City and Utah. When I read those things, it makes me happy.
I really disagree with this. I have never ever heard anyone say anything which would make me think that they hate Mormons. I just think that's wrong.

One thing I do think though, is that a lot of people think Mormons are weird. That I've heard a lot. I've heard that quite a bit and the things cited are things like the undergarments (particularly the sewn in bits on the nipples); the mandatory tithing (I know other religions tithe too, but the idea that if you don't tithe you are somehow not worthy enough of God or whatever, to go in the Temple; the sealing, particularly the part that men can end up sealed to more than one woman over his lifetime but women can only seal to one man; even the fact that where you live decides where you need to worship and you no option to choose a different church if you don't like the one in the neighborhood...the list goes on. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of these things, but I have certainly heard these (and other) things in discussions of why LDS is "weird." In the same conversations, people will say LDS people are extremely thoughtful, kind, generous, honest, etc. which is why I totally disagree that people "hate Mormons."

I am sure you can come up with reasons other religions are "weird" too--I'm just saying the reasons I've heard. And personally I would agree with other religions being weird too--I think all organized religion is very "weird."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:50 PM

587 posts, read 409,825 times
Door to door religious soliciting is annoying. Without pointing fingers, one such group is associated with Utah. If you have a significant religious group that stands out in any state, you'll find bashing. I recall the Rajneeshi in Oregon. Those were some good times.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I really disagree with this. I have never ever heard anyone say anything which would make me think that they hate Mormons. I just think that's wrong.
You must have missed a few posts, frogandtoad. I'm not saying you're guilty of this, but overall, people are extremely critical of Mormonism and of Mormons. Maybe "hate" is too strong a word, but when I see my beliefs ridiculed, exaggerated and parodied, when I see LDS doctrines maligned and caricatured by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about, I don't think "hate" is too far off the mark. I wouldn't think of insulting other religions the way I see Mormonism insulted. You know what the problem is? Lack of understanding and misinformation. Even your post showed that.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
That people who don't live here, have never lived here, and will likely never live here feel the need to explain UT life to those who do live here? Or to give their opinions about some aspect of Utah culture/life? I don't see that happening on the other states' forums where I have an interest - lived there, was planning to move there, am planning to move there. I don't randomly read forums just to express an opinion on someone else's life.
I presently do not live there, but I know a certain amount about the culture and life, though I would bow to a resident in any explainations. I have, however, just returned from an intensive 12 day visit to look at some Real Estate. I did volumes of research before departing, sat next to a couple from Cottonwood Heights the whole flight out. I was actually telling THEM info on C.H. and surrounding areas they did not know.

I also knew more about some local neighborhood trends, planned developments, etc. than one of the local Real Estate agents due to intensive reading up and research. It happens to me on occasion, a well researched visitor will be better informed than me of local trends in whatever area of interest they research.

Residency in no way guarrantees better or more accurate information as long as the non resident sticks to the researched material (hopefully they travel out to see first hand as well) and does not speculate outside their knowledge area. Or at least where a resident would rightly know better.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Quote:
That people who don't live here, have never lived here, and will likely never live here feel the need to explain UT life to those who do live here? Or to give their opinions about some aspect of Utah culture/life? I don't see that happening on the other states' forums where I have an interest - lived there, was planning to move there, am planning to move there. I don't randomly read forums just to express an opinion on someone else's life.

I'm guilty of this as I won't be there until September, but most of my posts are only about things I found out while I was visiting, or things all of you have told me.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think it has to do with Utah's reputation. Even though it may be wrong, our reputation has largely been formed in other states by the following:

5. Whackjobs like Senator Buttars who actually make into the national media because comparing gay people to Islamic terrorists is so over the top he sounds mentally ill.
But whom would you prefer as neighbors? Senator Buttars and his family or some grouping of homosexuals?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 AM

39 posts, read 103,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
But whom would you prefer as neighbors? Senator Buttars and his family or some grouping of homosexuals?
Well, I have a family to think about, and I don't want my kids to grow up desensitized to the vile, immoral behavior that some folks would like to legitimize by having it flaunted publicly. So, obviously, that rules Buttars out. Even though you've told me nothing about what kind of people they are, I guess I'll have to take my chances with the "grouping of homosexuals".

Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Ya'll just proved my poiint by 4 in a row.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:11 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Quote:
Ya'll just proved my poiint by 4 in a row.
This is a forum and a place to exchange information. I cannot speak for anyone but myself, but I came on to City-Data when I learned I was being transferred and wanted to find out more information about Utah. I also wanted to find people to interract with because when I move there in September I will have no one but my son and significant other. I guess I could just ask questions and receive an answer, but I think that kind of makes for boring conversation. If I were a troll looking to start trouble or spreading false information as gospel, I could see the problem. I'm sorry if I've annoyed or offended anyone on here by my postings or expressing my opinion, but after all it is only opinion.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
This is a forum and a place to exchange information. I cannot speak for anyone but myself, but I came on to City-Data when I learned I was being transferred and wanted to find out more information about Utah. I also wanted to find people to interract with because when I move there in September I will have no one but my son and significant other. I guess I could just ask questions and receive an answer, but I think that kind of makes for boring conversation. If I were a troll looking to start trouble or spreading false information as gospel, I could see the problem. I'm sorry if I've annoyed or offended anyone on here by my postings or expressing my opinion, but after all it is only opinion.
I'm sorry if I offended you! I was just trying to make a point about some others - not you, really - who don't live here. You - well, maybe not - but I sure was astounded at the ill-will expressed towards Mormnons on C-D. And people who state as fact any old thing about them when the poster has never lived here or studied the religion except to bash it.

I'm sure you will be a welcome addiiton when you get here - as you already are, to C-D.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-22-2009 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area