Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,492,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
frogandtoad,

Moving is different than a vacation. Most people stay in hotels, rental condos etc. during vacations. Moving to a real neighborhood and trying to actively interact with new neighbors is different, IMHO.

How long did it take you to feel whatever you felt in the various places you've lived?

MSR
The only reason I bring it up is that there is a thread going on slamming people who haven't lived here "long enough" b/c they have negative opinions, yet it's apparently totally fine for someone who has been here 5 days to have positive ones. If people are OK with the positive take on SLC within 5 days, they should be OK with the negative take in 5 days. I'm not disparaging the impressions you have--I'm simply saying if people are willing to accept positive, then they should also accept negative.

As for hotel vs. home, I don't think it makes much difference in 5 days to be honest. Plus, some people who visit stay with friends, relatives, have come here for years, etc.

ALL impressions are fine in my book. I think your impressions are totally fine to post. And I think everyone else's are too, good or bad.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm not into the whole mormon thing but I don't feel a huge effect. Apart from place names, I never even think about it. Why can't this forum get over mormons and talk about Utah instead. The friggin' mormon "holy land" is in Missouri for god's sake and the majority of Mormons do not live in Utah.
You're misleading here. Yes, the majority of Mormons live outside the U.S., but they are spread all over the world in thin numbers (with a few exceptions, like Tonga and Somoa for example). Within the U.S., there are more Mormons in California than Utah, however California has a MUCH larger population, and they are in MUCH more of a minority in CA. The state with the highest percentage of Mormons is Utah, far and away. There is no other place in the U.S. which even comes close to being 50% Mormon.

And I love talking abotu all sorts of things about Utah. But the Mormon thing is not minor. Unless of course you live in Park City, which does not have that feel to it at all. Not surprising though, as it's the only place in UT which has never been predominantly LDS.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM

27,969 posts, read 29,801,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Of course this person wouldn't know if someone is LDS by walking into stores They aren't wearing a tattoo on their forehead. It's about a difference in culture and belief systems, not looks!
Well, another poster on another thread made the comment that she had lived here for two years and had managed to come in contact with almost no Mormons at all. She also assumed that anyone who appeared to be avoiding her had to be LDS.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM

27,969 posts, read 29,801,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Rant over
Rant much appreciated.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, another poster on another thread made the comment that she had lived here for two years and had managed to come in contact with almost no Mormons at all. She also assumed that anyone who appeared to be avoiding her had to be LDS.
Well clearly that's nuts. But I think people can see through things like that. Plus if I remember that post, I think she just surrounded herself with non-mormons, which is entirely possibly in some areas and meant that she didn't hang out w/LDS. I don't know that she was talking about day-to-day interaction with people "on the street." But of course things like people avoiding her must be LDS? That's just silly and I can't imagine anyone would take that seriously.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Rant much appreciated.
Interesting. Rant and appreciation of rant based entirely on skewed understanding of the Muslim religion based on a VERY small percentage of the more radical Muslims.

Yet in the same breadth condemning people placing so much emphasis on the LDS influence in SLC and saying the view of non-LDS toward LDS here appears to be skewed.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM

Anyway, I've said many times I love UT. I just think it's VERY odd that there appears to be no pride in the cultural/social/political differences LDS brings to the table. Rather, a desperate attempt to make it all seem "the same."

I found the positive and negative of posts to be very helpful when moving here. I also found the posts "warning" me about the difference in culture to be relevant.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,719,293 times
Quote:
Yes, it does feel like the Muslim country I lived in in the sense that the politics and culture were intertwined with religion. If you turn on the local news or pick up a local paper, it's all connected. And yes, the religious leaders here are very much intertwined with the politics of the state, there is very little separation here.
I think the original poster’s point was that it does not seem that much different than the rest of the United States. If you randomly chose someone from another state and plopped them down on State Street, they would not immediately be overwhelmed with the vast differences from where they came from.

If you plopped that random person down on the streets of Cairo, language barrier aside, they would immediately be overwhelmed by the vast cultural differences. Now with time, you do notice things that are different, like LDS General Conference being on TV twice a year, or (a few) more stores being closed on Sundays, or LDS-themed books being sold at Walmart. But I get a kick out of people who want to eradicate the presence of LDS culture from Utah. After all, you can’t ignore the history of the Mormons settling a desert no one wanted after being kicked out of much more fertile lands back East.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 PM

515 posts, read 2,320,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1269 View Post
In the weeks leading up to my move to SLC from Atlanta, I referred to this board several times to find information on schools, neighborhoods, and in general, life in Salt Lake City.

I have a non-LDS friend here who also moved here from Atlanta. A few weeks ago, I asked him a question that many newcomers may wonder. I asked, "Do you feel a strong LDS influence and do you feel out of place as a non-LDS in Salt Lake City?" His reply was, "Do you feel out of place in Atlanta as a non-black person?"

It was an interesting way of putting it. Of course, my response to him was, "No, we all just blend in here." And he said, "Well, here in Salt Lake City, we all just blend in too."

I moved here five days ago. I've encountered people in hotels, grocery stores, coffee shops, neighborhoods, school tours, the gym, and various other venues. If anything, I have encountered more people than an average individual would in a five day span, since I am aggressively trying to get planted here and am thoroughly exploring my new surroundings. If this helps anyone wondering about the "noticeability" of the LDS influence, I can honestly say that in the five days I've been here, I have no idea if I have met someone of the Mormon faith or not. I'm sure I have, but my point is, no one has asked what faith I am since I have been here, nor have they told me their faith choice. No one has tried to convert me, no one has knocked on my door to share any religious materials, etc.

My initial impression is that this city is as diverse in its humanity as any other city; and an added bonus is it's astounding in its natural beauty, it's filled with respectful, clean people, and the downtown is far more liveable than most cities' downtown areas.

I could not be happier with my choice to move to Salt Lake City. This is a really misunderstood and mis-perceived state. But, perhaps that misperception keeps it one of the best-kept secrets for the rest of us to enjoy!
Glad you like it here, Sunshine! This post 100% mirrors my experience in moving here from NJ. On a day to day basis the predominant culture is not apparent to me - and I still feel the same way after almost a year of living here. I love it here, and if anything I am grateful for the "Mormon filter" - all those misconceptions almost certainly help to keep the area from becoming over crowded!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:15 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,752,235 times
Quote:
Interesting. Rant and appreciation of rant based entirely on skewed understanding of the Muslim religion based on a VERY small percentage of the more radical Muslims.

Yet in the same breadth condemning people placing so much emphasis on the LDS influence in SLC and saying the view of non-LDS toward LDS here appears to be skewed.

I don't know why you are such a hater, but it seems you and a lot of people on this forum are looking under rocks for a "mormon scourge" that just isn't there. THAT is a skewed opinion. I'm sure the vast majority of people living in this state never have a problem with them. Why do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area