Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassini View Post
I was born and raised in the Ogden area in a strict Mormon home. We were taught that others of different religions and different races were not like us and there was no reason to befriend them or learn about their cultures. At age 19, I left home and moved to Dallas and later to Orlando. This was, and still is, the best part of my education regarding others who are not like me. I love diversity! I moved back to Utah with my three kids settling in a condo in Holladay. We moved in on a Saturday and the kids and I went out to spend Sunday in the condo complex pool. Three well dressed women came out to the pool to let me know that because of the dominant religion in the area, there was no swimming on Sunday (nothing was posted to that effect and the gate was open). This is typical of the kind of intolerance I have experienced living in Salt Lake over the past 20 years. Ogden was a much more open-minded city and nothing like Salt Lake. I am no longer active in the church because I am sure that Jesus never treated people the way Mormons do. If you are a single mom and divorced, the people in the church have very little to do with you other than asking nosey questions about 'why you're not married'.
The whole valley isn't that way. Salt Lake City proper is diverse and very liberal.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:04 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
The whole valley isn't that way. Salt Lake City proper is diverse and very liberal.
the whole state isn't that way either. the blanket generalizations in jassini's post do no one any good, including herself. even in freaking happy valley, people are nicer than that.

so glad to know that i am being labeled and stereotyped according to the actions of a few idiots. then again, nothing unexpected or new...

Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
indeed that sounds a bit off. I'm far from LDS and I can attest they most certainly don't bite Heck even in the "old days" back when I first came to Utah (1978) while they were a LOT more influential then as well as conservative (and that's putting it mildly) I had no run in's or issues with them (other than a few return missionaries who wanted to convert me) But now things are quite a bit looser to say the least. They just leave me alone and I'm fine with that.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
the whole state isn't that way either. the blanket generalizations in jassini's post do no one any good, including herself. even in freaking happy valley, people are nicer than that.

so glad to know that i am being labeled and stereotyped according to the actions of a few idiots. then again, nothing unexpected or new...
Jassini posted that she experienced this in Ogden, Holladay and Salt Lake, not the whole state. I experienced a similar intolerance in Happy Valley from a LDS when I was a child. It DOES happen. Yes, the whole state isn't full of intolerance, but it isn't a blanket generalization when someone is posting about an actual experience and not just an opinion.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Jassini posted that she experienced this in Ogden, Holladay and Salt Lake, not the whole state. I experienced a similar intolerance in Happy Valley from a LDS when I was a child. It DOES happen. Yes, the whole state isn't full of intolerance, but it isn't a blanket generalization when someone is posting about an actual experience and not just an opinion.
i agree with almost everything you said and am in no way trying to say that it doesn't happen. but it appears pretty darn certain to me that jassini was making a generalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassini View Post
I was born and raised in the Ogden area in a strict Mormon home. We were taught that others of different religions and different races were not like us and there was no reason to befriend them or learn about their cultures. At age 19, I left home and moved to Dallas and later to Orlando. This was, and still is, the best part of my education regarding others who are not like me. I love diversity! I moved back to Utah with my three kids settling in a condo in Holladay. We moved in on a Saturday and the kids and I went out to spend Sunday in the condo complex pool. Three well dressed women came out to the pool to let me know that because of the dominant religion in the area, there was no swimming on Sunday (nothing was posted to that effect and the gate was open). This is typical of the kind of intolerance I have experienced living in Salt Lake over the past 20 years. Ogden was a much more open-minded city and nothing like Salt Lake. I am no longer active in the church because I am sure that Jesus never treated people the way Mormons do. If you are a single mom and divorced, the people in the church have very little to do with you other than asking nosey questions about 'why you're not married'.
that does not in any way say to me that she is speaking of mormons in ogden or slc only; she made it pretty clear that it was "the mormons."

for that, i say that this kind of generalization and harsh judgment against the mormons is as bad as when the mormons harshly judge and generalize against other philosophically/religiously-minded people.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i agree with almost everything you said and am in no way trying to say that it doesn't happen. but it appears pretty darn certain to me that jassini was making a generalization.

that does not in any way say to me that she is speaking of mormons in ogden or slc only; she made it pretty clear that it was "the mormons."

for that, i say that this kind of generalization and harsh judgment against the mormons is as bad as when the mormons harshly judge and generalize against other philosophically/religiously-minded people.
I see your point.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM

10 posts, read 15,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1269 View Post
In the weeks leading up to my move to SLC from Atlanta, I referred to this board several times to find information on schools, neighborhoods, and in general, life in Salt Lake City.

I have a non-LDS friend here who also moved here from Atlanta. A few weeks ago, I asked him a question that many newcomers may wonder. I asked, "Do you feel a strong LDS influence and do you feel out of place as a non-LDS in Salt Lake City?" His reply was, "Do you feel out of place in Atlanta as a non-black person?"

It was an interesting way of putting it. Of course, my response to him was, "No, we all just blend in here." And he said, "Well, here in Salt Lake City, we all just blend in too."

I moved here five days ago. I've encountered people in hotels, grocery stores, coffee shops, neighborhoods, school tours, the gym, and various other venues. If anything, I have encountered more people than an average individual would in a five day span, since I am aggressively trying to get planted here and am thoroughly exploring my new surroundings. If this helps anyone wondering about the "noticeability" of the LDS influence, I can honestly say that in the five days I've been here, I have no idea if I have met someone of the Mormon faith or not. I'm sure I have, but my point is, no one has asked what faith I am since I have been here, nor have they told me their faith choice. No one has tried to convert me, no one has knocked on my door to share any religious materials, etc.

My initial impression is that this city is as diverse in its humanity as any other city; and an added bonus is it's astounding in its natural beauty, it's filled with respectful, clean people, and the downtown is far more liveable than most cities' downtown areas.

I could not be happier with my choice to move to Salt Lake City. This is a really misunderstood and mis-perceived state. But, perhaps that misperception keeps it one of the best-kept secrets for the rest of us to enjoy!
Nowadays, nobody cares what religion you are. Salt Lake City has evolved and it even has big city crimes. The goold ol' days of running into Mormons, etc. are over. Most people are Mormons by family inheritance, born in the Church kind of thing. They're not usually interested in bothering people about religion, unless they're asked. If you want to be swarmed by female Mormon missionaries, just go to the Mormon visitors center. It's like a religion trade show.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 PM
cga

27 posts, read 67,238 times
Utah, often referred to as a flyover state. That's fine folks, just keep flying over, that means there's more for us.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:59 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cga View Post
Utah, often referred to as a flyover state. That's fine folks, just keep flying over, that means there's more for us.
Not sure how anyone could consider a place with such beautiful scenery a flyover state, but like you said, more for us!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman View Post
Nowadays, nobody cares what religion you are. Salt Lake City has evolved and it even has big city crimes. The goold ol' days of running into Mormons, etc. are over. Most people are Mormons by family inheritance, born in the Church kind of thing. They're not usually interested in bothering people about religion, unless they're asked. If you want to be swarmed by female Mormon missionaries, just go to the Mormon visitors center. It's like a religion trade show.
Umm. Actually most members of converts. Most members in the Book of Mormon belt were born into the church, but most members are converts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area