Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 PM

31 posts, read 78,017 times

Advertisements

We have to buy all alchol at a liquor store here in NJ. It has always been that way for me, so its weird when I go to other states and find beer and wine in supermarkets and convienience stores.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:06 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
There are several states where you can only buy liquor and wine at the liquor store. I went to Kansas City, MO for the first time about a year ago and to my shock, suprise (and delight ) there was a big bottle of Jack Daniels in there with my name on it right there at the gas station. It totally made up for the fact that the bar closed at 1am on a Saturday night. At least in Oklahoma, they don't kick you out until 2 am.......lol

Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
There are several states where you can only buy liquor and wine at the liquor store. I went to Kansas City, MO for the first time about a year ago and to my shock, suprise (and delight ) there was a big bottle of Jack Daniels in there with my name on it right there at the gas station. It totally made up for the fact that the bar closed at 1am on a Saturday night. At least in Oklahoma, they don't kick you out until 2 am.......lol
Call me crazy but knowing people can buy Jack and gas would not be very comforting.

Since I am not a big drunk and I plan ahead, having state stores really isn't a big deal. I'll take the A vs. D+ rating any day. http://www.menshealth.com/drunkestcities2010/

I am all about freedom but how accessible do we want alcohol, piped into our houses?

edit: OSO I am not calling you a drunk BTW. :-)

Last edited by hilgi; 02-07-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
I was hoping you weren't calling me a drunk Hilgi . Oklahoma didn't fare any better than Kansas City with a nice D+ rating....lol. I will say in Oklahoma's defense, that the accessibility to mass transit and taxi service would probably raise that grade significantly. I used to wait over an hour (sometimes MUCH longer) for a taxi when I'd go out in Edmond which is a very large suburb right outside Oklahoma City, and add to the fact that Oklahoma City does not have anything like the Frontrunner. I would venture to say that great mass transit systems account for a few of those A ratings, although DUI arrests and such weren't the only things taken into account to figure the grades. I don't mind too much that Salt Lake City has some weird alcohol laws. Going to the liquor store to buy everything is something I've always had to do except when visiting other states. I don't really like that you pay the same price for a 1oz pour here in Utah as you would pay somewhere else for the standard 1.75 oz pour, and it would be nice to be able to go to Iggy's and have a beer and not have to order food. None of these things are deal breakers by any means, we just had to modify our lifestyle a bit, and with no family or close friends here, to go out with or to baby sit we don't hardly go out anyway......lol.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:01 AM

199 posts, read 543,017 times
I love Utah and the LDS church would never stop me from living there. Every LDS person I met in SLC was very nice and I was there for 3 months.

I can't believe how many states have liquor stores. Funny thing happened while I was back in Michigan for the holidays. A lady came up to me in the grocery store and asked me where the liquor store was. I had to think real hard about where a liquor store was and gave her some directions and then remembered where I was. I asked her if she was out of state and she was. I simply pointed her to the liquor department.

I can see why a state would ban liquor from grocery stores. Kids try to steal it all the time. It was freaking ridiculously easy. Today, liquor and beer have to be in a section that can be locked up and all the bottles have big plastic caps that can't be removed without a special tool. It's a step in the right direction but would be easier to prevent designated liquor store that didn't allow people under the legal age.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
I think as in all of life there are those who believe they are doing the right thing when in reality they are just as hell bound as the rest of us sinners. When was the last time you all just sat down and laughed at your selfs for thinking such silly things? You know that old bunch of high society women turning up their noses at the lot of us are closer to the gates of hell than any number of us put together. These days its nothing to do with skin color or where, how, and why you are here; it's how we interact with each other, the way we act. I love Jassinis venting on the Mormons because some are that way. Hell, someone has to keep us in check! You go Jassini, give them Hell! Then don't forget to make it right cause I'm sure at least one time in your life you have made someone feel uncomfortable as you did. Crap, you were born a Mormon! It's the Mormons! I guess you are right! How did we get so screwed up?

Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 52,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow! Thank God the Mormon home I was raised in wasn't like the Mormon home you were raised in!
Were you raised in a Mormon home that taught Catholics and Hindus could live with God after they die if they don't choose to be Mormon?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlillywh View Post
Were you raised in a Mormon home that taught Catholics and Hindus could live with God after they die if they don't choose to be Mormon?
Yeah Katzpur, don't remember over a year ago when you posted that? LOL

Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
wandered too far off topic, 1.5 yrs old. closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area