U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 14,752 times

Advertisements

We've visited SLC and think it is one of the most beautiful places ever! People there are also very nice. I am considering jobs in either Davis County or South SLC? My husband would work in Clearfield and we would like to be close to each other. Our kids would be in 5th and 8th grades. They've been able to make friends everywhere so I don't think it'll be a problem.

We are extremely confused about where to make our home. We are non LDS but are acceptable of all people, regardless of religion or race etc. We don't mind living in a smaller town close to a larger town. We have family of every race, political affiliation, religion, etc. We just want our kids (and us) to make friends, be happy, get a good education, and have lots of cultural experiences.

We come from a small Louisiana town and are used to any "cowboy ways" although this is not one of our hobbies. Would we be in more culture shock South or North of SLC? We basically have it narrowed down to Clearfield, Ogden, Sandy, Cottonwood Heights, East Millcreek, etc.

The schools are pretty good (compared to most in Louisiana) across the Wasatch mountain range, right?

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,915,848 times
A commute from Clearfield to Sandy every day would be a bear! I have known people that do it, but I would imagine it would get old kind of quickly. In general, all of Utah has a bit of culture shock. If you just roll with it, you will be fine wherever you decide to reside.

I don't think I would live in an area which has "South Salt Lake" as an address. Those areas are also sometimes called Rose Park or Glendale too. If you mean, south of Salt Lake, that is a bit different. That could cover a vast area including, but not limited to, West Valley, West Jordan, Murray, Sandy, Midvale, Draper.

North Salt Lake is a very nice area. Although it is called North Salt Lake, it is actually located in Davis County. It is adjacent to Woods Cross and Bountiful. Davis County school district is very good and NSL, Woods Cross and Bountiful all attend Davis County schools. There are several new subdivisons located in each of those three towns that you might like. Further north is Clearfield, Layton, Syracuse, Fruit Heights, Farmington. Those would be a much easier commute to Clearfield than further south in SL.

I believe the schools are better in Utah than in LA, but I have never lived in LA, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Utah has one of the highest graduation rates in the country and although I don't know the exact percentages, it also ranks high for kids that take advanced courses in high school and continue on to college. Utah has one of the lowest per pupil spending, however, I think it isn't what you have, but what you do with it that matters. Just like most things in life, you can only get out as much as you are willing to put in.

If you have a job offer for Davis County, that is the one that I would grab (all other things equal, of course) and make your home there.

Welcome to Utah!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM

19,822 posts, read 56,000,461 times
The commute from Sandy past downtown will take forever but then it would be reasonably clear into Clearfield. Live closer, take the Davis Co job.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 AM

9,193 posts, read 9,271,792 times
Based on living here most of my life if you had a choice, I'd rule out Ogden quickly and Clearfield right after that. These are poorer areas and the housing is just not as nice. Sandy, Millcreek, and Cottonwood Heights are all good choices if you can afford a home there.

I'd seriously consider looking at some other places north of Salt Lake though. East Layton, Kaysville, Fruit Heights, Farmington, and Bountiful would all be good choices.

I don't think you will be in "culture shock" living in either the areas around the south or the north of Salt Lake. The areas will be heavily LDS, but I think pretty accepting of you.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,915,848 times
I have no doubt that most everyone will be accepting of them, but the "culture shock" is still going to be there, at least a little bit. Utah is a state, just like any other state, but when you move here, it is a bit different than moving to another state. If that makes any sense.

It DOES take some getting used to the way things are done here. You can either roll with it and learn to adjust or you can't. Those that can't are the ones that are unhappy here, and that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 AM

5,327 posts, read 11,047,644 times
In the quadrant, north of 215 and west of 15, right off Redwood Road, are some nice new neighbourhoods now. *Looks* nice, but do not know anybody there to give you referrals.

May have some airport noise though, so there is a need to talk to those who actually live there.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,676,324 times
If your going that far north I wouldnt suggest sandy. that would be a good 45 minute drive every day. There are quite a few nice houses in salt lake city on the east side. I dont know what your budget would be but if your looking in the areas you mentioned id guess you have a little money to play with. The millcreek and holladay areas would be a bit better. Probaby cut off about 15-20 minutes worth of drive time and the areas are atleast as nice.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 AM

498 posts, read 1,238,370 times
I think Bountiful would be the best area for you. You wouldn't have to go through all of SLC and refinery row every day, so the commute would be much easier, less time-consuming, and more enjoyable. Bountiful is one of my favorite cities; it's a great location, not far from SLC, it's gorgeous, it probably has the most trees of any of the neighborhoods you're considering (and in my opinion is simply the prettiest of any of those options). If I had to move somewhere right now, I think Bountiful would probably be my first choice, and it wouldn't be a compromise at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area