Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 AM

47 posts, read 157,333 times

Advertisements

I'm a single later twenties non-LDS female. Finding a suitable (non-religious, educated professional) partner to marry and have children with fairly soon is quite important to me. I wonder - how's the singles scene in SLC for non-LDS?
Anyone out there been in the same boat? Thoughts? Experiences?

The background with me is I'm considering a move to SLC for my PhD as U of U has offered me great funding. I am not wealthy as I did Peace Corps directly out of college, then got an expensive masters degree in NYC. I grew up in Ohio and have visited Utah numerous times for skiing - I love the terrain and access to outdoor activities, however I don't know a soul in Utah. It's always been my long-term aim to live 'out West' - I was envisioning Cali, but Cali isn't in my price range at this point in time, and may never be. Hence Utah sounds quite nice - except for my concerns about dating prospects..? I'm quite curious about what others have experienced.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
I'm a single later twenties non-LDS female. Finding a suitable (non-religious, educated professional) partner to marry and have children with fairly soon is quite important to me. I wonder - how's the singles scene in SLC for non-LDS?
If I were you I would limit my search to Salt Lake City proper.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:43 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,282 times
I don't think you'll have a problem - Salt lake itself is pretty Liberal - Obama won here! The city itself is only about 50% LDS (if that), with even fewer who actively practice. I am a similar demographic, but a little older, and moved here knowing no one. It's a great place to live!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 AM

183 posts, read 801,430 times
I moved here a couple of years ago and had the same concerns.

The dating scene is severely limited here, in my opinion. I have had trouble meeting non-LDS men with whom I have things in common. However, that may not be the case for you. It depends on what you are looking for. I am attracted to the intellectual type and haven't had much luck meeting such men in the area.

There are lots of "mountain men" here...the guys who are big into outdoor sports and camping. There also seem to be a lot of nascar-loving, beer-drinking guys available.

I wish you the best of luck in making your decision. Utah is a beautiful place and the U is a great school. I, however, have had a very difficult time fitting in here...and not just with dating. Utah is a funny place for many of us who are not a part of the local dominant culture. Some people move here from out of state and absolutely love it. Others move here, find it quirky and then leave. I am definitely part of the latter group.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 23,334 times
Utah has severly limited dating for people in my opinion, if your not LDS. I am a single guy, have my life in order, and am attractive, but not LDS and have had a very hard time findind women with a good head on thier shoulders. Not impossible, but darn close! Good luck. I agree completely with JaneyBlu!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 PM

7 posts, read 38,488 times
By the way what does Salt Lake City proper mean? I have heard that a few times.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Within the city of Salt Lake City. In several areas, you don't know where you are b/c it's contiguous. South Salt Lake is a good example. Look at a city map, google is fine. Street have the same name from one city to the next, State St. is a perfect example. SLC, SSLC, Murray, Sandy, etc.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Anyone out there been in the same boat? Thoughts? Experiences?

The background with me is I'm considering a move to SLC for my PhD as U of U has offered me great funding. I am not wealthy as I did Peace Corps directly out of college, then got an expensive masters degree in NYC. I grew up in Ohio and have visited Utah numerous times for skiing - I love the terrain and access to outdoor activities, however I don't know a soul in Utah. It's always been my long-term aim to live 'out West' - I was envisioning Cali, but Cali isn't in my price range at this point in time, and may never be. Hence Utah sounds quite nice - except for my concerns about dating prospects..? I'm quite curious about what others have experienced.

Thanks!
Well, my son is a non-practicing LDS (hasn't been to church in years) who is 30 years old and single. How about I hook you up? (Mothers do start worrying when their sons reach 30 and haven't found the right woman, you know. )

Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 21,873 times
My daughter is 27 and very pretty but she is finding the men in Utah to be , As I call them "Light in the loafers". And the Cowboy types are dumb as rocks. The rest of the guys are players. So as a father I am worried that she is not going to stay here. The social activities for a good catholic girl to meet a young non Mormon professional is very limited.

I like living here [mod] rude [/mod]

Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
I know plenty of *couples*, where one person WAS *non Mormon*, at the time of dating and then marriage. A few of them, where the husband was the *Non* person, they actually converted a bit later, and became leaders in the LDS faith. Same thing for one couple we know where the *wife* was the *Non* person. She is still not a member after 32 years, but she supports everything her Husband does in the LDS faith.
Everybody who does not know her, *thinks* she is LDS ...

So you never know, or like some say, *Never say Never*.

Just come here, with the thought, to put your priorities in the right place.
You mentioned wanting to have a family *WITH* kids, and a place where to raise them in peace.
Utah is not half bad to do that, regardless of what many people have said.

Keep in mind that *The LDS Church* teaches Tolerance and love for another. If people practice what they preach and do it sincerely, then the world would be a better place everywhere.

You will meet many *available* people here, once you start at the U.
Make your choices, based on what you feel *inside your heart*. and go from there. Always keep a smile on your face so people wonder what you are up to !!
Have faith (especially in yourself), and you will do fine.

LBNL, welcome to a great place.
This place does grow on you, whether you like it or not ...
Life is *90%-give and 10%-take*, but it goes both ways !!!

(all those *complainers about anything* and many of them are LDS (!), are still here ...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area