Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any info on West Haven? I think I've found a house there that we're going to rent. I know it's closer to the GSL and that it's just West of Ogden, but other than that I'm pretty clueless. Any info anyone has would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Anyone have any info on West Haven? I think I've found a house there that we're going to rent. I know it's closer to the GSL and that it's just West of Ogden, but other than that I'm pretty clueless. Any info anyone has would be great!!

.................................................. .................................................

Its actually a good area for the most part. West Weber County is the growth area for the county. More and more businesses (particularly retail stores) are locating out there all the time. My only concern would be that right now, its not particularly close to anything. If you can handle the commute to work and such its a good place.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:59 AM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
If you're working around the Ogden area (Ogden is 30-40 minutes from Salt Lake) then it's probably fine. Other than that you may have at least an hour commute everyday.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
West Haven is still very country-ish, all fields, trees and old farm houses. It's a bit further away from everything but I would love to live there.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Okay, sounds like I've got an all clear....lol. I live in a very small rural town on the outskirts of the city currently so being in the country isn't a problem for me at all. I will be working at the AF Base so the only problem might be for my significant other because we aren't sure where he's going to be yet. Being closer to the lake, does it ever smell bad over there. I seem to remember someone saying that up north, freshwater flows into the lake so it's not as bad......

Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
Okay, sounds like I've got an all clear....lol. I live in a very small rural town on the outskirts of the city currently so being in the country isn't a problem for me at all. I will be working at the AF Base so the only problem might be for my significant other because we aren't sure where he's going to be yet. Being closer to the lake, does it ever smell bad over there. I seem to remember someone saying that up north, freshwater flows into the lake so it's not as bad......

Anyone have a clue if it ever smells bad over there?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 AM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Sorry, I'm not too familiar with West Haven specifically, but I can tell you that there are days when it smells EVERYWHERE in the valley---just depends on the wind. It's not a terrible smell, but not pleasant, either. Frankly, I find it comforting now, like when I get off an airplane from a business trip and get a whiff, I think, "Ahh, I'm home."

Really, 90% of the time there's no smell at all, even in communities right near the lake, so I wouldn't worry too much about the smell. If you can handle the typical farm/manure smell of the "country," you should be fine.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:20 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
Anyone have a clue if it ever smells bad over there?
It occasionally does...it really depends on the wind direction. The smell comes from where the water level is low...the mud is pretty extensive from Farmington to about Syracuse...so a westerly wind can get you. West Haven is a little further north so there would be less stinky days. You'd need a south wind...which when it occurs tends to be strong...and mixes out the smell better.

Hows that for scientific!!

You may get bouts of pretty heavy mosquito action...there are some swampy areas just to the west.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
It occasionally does...it really depends on the wind direction. The smell comes from where the water level is low...the mud is pretty extensive from Farmington to about Syracuse...so a westerly wind can get you. West Haven is a little further north so there would be less stinky days. You'd need a south wind...which when it occurs tends to be strong...and mixes out the smell better.

Hows that for scientific!!

You may get bouts of pretty heavy mosquito action...there are some swampy areas just to the west.
Just the kind of info I'm looking for

Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
My son lives in West Haven,Utah and has for 5 yrs.We visit there every summer and have never even detected any weird smell. Then again we live iin Illinois near a hog processing plant so my sense of smell is dead. Do not buy a house near a hog processing plant!
If your going to complain about utah air you better move to mars.That strange smell your noticeing is probably fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area