Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM

103 posts, read 304,970 times

Advertisements

I know that Comcast and Qwest are the big players out there, but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Directv? If you're using a package right now from any company what are you paying per month? If you're paying for seperate services has it worked out for you? I've also been checking out Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
Dish is much better then direct. Unless you want the nfl sunday ticket which is a WASTE then dish will be cheaper. They pay 700 million dollars PER YEAR to have the nfl ticket therefore EVERYONE with direct is buying it, wether you actually have the programing or not. Not to mention dish has much more strict quality guidlines which means you will have a better install which means less issues in the end. We wont even get into comparing the technologies of the too. Comcast isnt even a contender with those 2 in the tv department. I go quest/dish personall. Comcast is way overprices for what you get

Also verizon doesnt do regular phone, tv or internet here. The most you could do is cell phone and the wireless internet cards with them which IMO is to expensive

Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Comcast's digital phone is much more reliable in older areas than Qwest's landlines. I hate DirecTV, Qwest scammed me on prices and then DirecTV tried to not let me out of the termination fees. I saw on Ch. 2 that "Get Gebhart" helped another woman w/the same problem, so I guess that's why I haven't heard from them lately. I had also opened a complaint with the Dept of Consumer Protection. My advice, avoid DirecTV like the plague. The one time while I still had their service, it snowed lightly and the TV went out all night.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,606 times
I hate both Qwest/Direct TV and Comcast. The Qwest so called package is a sham. Now, mind you I can't get DTV, because I don't have the clear line of sight to a satelite. Therefore, I've had to go with Comcast internet, at a huge price, but it is my only choice. Don't like the Dsl, had it, but got rid of my landline, and although they do have a competively priced dsl only option.

Have you investigated the Cricket wireless mobile broadband, I thinks it's only 40 a month, but speeds may be lower than dsl. It is worth checking out, especially if you take a laptop around town.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM

is it a house or an apartment? its not to often at all we cant get line of site at a house

Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,602 times
Have a house on 700 E and 800 S and want to spend the least amount for TV and internet is Dish the best way to go?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM

its probably cheaper if you were to bundle the comcast services together but if your looking for the best picture quality then dish is going to give that to you (although you wont notice a difference if your not into that kind of thing).

Ill also add that I would CALL for pricing and service, Its a little more of a hassle but a lot of companies offer better promotions when you call and ask specifically for what you want.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:31 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
We hated Qwest (now called Century link), We were getting 1.25 mb per second with their "high speed" internet. It was practically like dial up, not even joking. When we asked if they could offer us something faster so we didn't have to switch to comcast, they said they could up us to 1.50 MB. Wow, a whole 25 mb more! Comcast offers 37 MB per second. Ya, waaay faster.

We got a bundle with comcast, we just wanted internet, we aren't cable watchers. But they didn't have an internet only option special going. So we decided on the basic cable/high speed internet option for 40 dollars per month. That was only for 6 months though, it goes up to 90 dollars after that. Once that is up, we may just switch to an internet only option for 45 dollars a month or whatever it is.

People tell me that comcast is not good to their current customers once the "special" is up. There aren't many good options if you resign or whatever. I will see what they say when we get to that point.

As for phone (landline), I don't think phone really matters personally. Landlines are pretty much useless now in my opinion. You can do everything on the cell phone now, why fork over the extra money every month for a landline, it's not worth it.

As for other companies, you have to check the area, it solely depends on that. Some neighborhoods are only contracted with Century link, you can't get the other companies. It's a completely case by case basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area