Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 11,937 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly moving to Saratoga Springs sometime this summer, because of his job. We have 2 young children, and I am also worried about being the only non-mormon. Yes, I enjoy a glass of wine or beer, and a cigarette. Am I going to be looked down upon? I am a stay at home mom, if there is any other families that are non-mormon in that area, please let me know, and if you are treated any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLindsey View Post
My husband and I are possibly moving to Saratoga Springs sometime this summer, because of his job. We have 2 young children, and I am also worried about being the only non-mormon. Yes, I enjoy a glass of wine or beer, and a cigarette. Am I going to be looked down upon? I am a stay at home mom, if there is any other families that are non-mormon in that area, please let me know, and if you are treated any different.
Did you real the answers that have already been posted on this thread?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Did you real the answers that have already been posted on this thread?

It would sure be a lot easier if you guys would wear something to identify yourselves, then we would know who to steer clear of. Maybe a Gold Star or something?

Those are sarcasm smiles BTW.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
well, most people in UT don't smoke, not necessarily for religious reasons but we are outdoor nuts for the most part. And being an outdoor nut means being very healthy, thus no smoking. You can't smoke in any building in Utah, even private clubs - if there are any left. And sorry, not to insult you, but I and most of my friends would not want to hang out with a smoker.

Now drinking is another story! I knpow many drinkers, all are welcome wherever.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM

555 posts, read 1,653,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It would sure be a lot easier if you guys would wear something to identify yourselves, then we would know who to steer clear of. Maybe a Gold Star or something?

Those are sarcasm smiles BTW.
*puts on a dunce's hat* Does that help?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:18 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
well, most people in UT don't smoke, not necessarily for religious reasons but we are outdoor nuts for the most part. And being an outdoor nut means being very healthy, thus no smoking. You can't smoke in any building in Utah, even private clubs - if there are any left. And sorry, not to insult you, but I and most of my friends would not want to hang out with a smoker.

Now drinking is another story! I knpow many drinkers, all are welcome wherever.
This is pretty much true in many states. In PA and FL, where I have lived, I think they were even more aggressive with their anti-public smoking laws.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:56 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
Were non LDS and live in saratoga springs also.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpughe View Post
I'm new to forums in general but my family and I are going to be moving to Orem, UT from Las Vegas, NV in a couple of months. We will be staying with my brother-in-law's family in Orem until we can decide where to find a home. We have been up there several times and are very interested in Saratoga Springs. We are not LDS, which has been one of my main concerns about moving up there. Does anyone belong to a christian church in the Orem area? We don't mind driving to go to a good one either.

Mormon's are Christians.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

What you are looking for is a Christian church of another denomination. I'm quite sure that there are some in the Orem area. A Google hunt could find them for you. Just enter "Methodist (or whichever you are looking for) churches in Orem, Utah."

Y'all are going to be just fine with the move.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 01-15-2011 at 03:04 AM..

Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
tvpughe, their are several non denominational churches in Orem, their is a calvery chapple in american fork, it also has a Baptist church and I belive a Catholic one also. Like Ketabcha said Mormons are Christians.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
To be honest, I wish I understood why so many non-LDS people seem to be expressing an interesting in moving to Saratoga Springs or other places within Utah County.

When you post indicating that you are looking for other non-Mormons to share a glass of wine or a cigarette with, please understand that the statistics are against you. Approximately 80% of Utah County is LDS. Now, mind you, I'm sure there are some non-practicing Mormons among that group and maybe a few of these drink too.

However, did it occur to any of you before you moved to Utah County to try and do any research on the area you were moving too? Or did you just make the assumption that it was like everywhere else? Maybe, I'm nutty to assume that people actually get on the computer before they make a move and try and learn as much about an area as they can. Maybe other people don't have working telephones and it does not occur to them to call entities like the "Chamber of Commerce" and ask questions before they arrive in a community.

The plain facts are something like these:

1. There is not a large population of non-LDS people in Utah County.

2. LDS people have religious tenets which proscribe the use of alcohol and tobacco.

3. The area is very socially and politically conservative. If either of these things are major considerations to you it is probably not a good choice for a place to live.

4. You won't be shunned by your Mormon neighbors if you move there, but you'll find that almost all their time is taken up with church and family activities. Outside of work, you probably won't see your neighbors much except smiling and waving to you as they drive back from Smith's Groceries or such.

5. Did any of you give any serious thought to moving to South Salt Lake County and commuting to work in Utah County? If you didn't, it shows me you made no effort to find out about the area you were moving to at all.

6. Finally, if you moved to Utah County without doing your research and are now unhappy with the area, you have no one but yourself to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area