U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:33 AM

61 posts, read 64,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There are too many abandoned houses in the downtown areas. There is a gang problem. There is a stratification developing between Spanish-speaking people who are continuing to arrive and long time Caucasian residents who are gradually leaving the area. The public school system is not good. There is a high rate of teenage pregnancy. The violent crime rate is considerably higher than the state average. Although, Utah's average is so low that even Ogden doesn't seem bad compared to many places outside Utah.
Thanks, Mark! This is what I have commonly heard about the area from others while I was in Salt Lake City, and I was curious if they were saying these things just because Salt Lake City was supposedly so much safer compared to Ogden, if they had sour grapes, or if it was the genuine truth. I have witnessed a lot of Hispanic violence in Salt Lake City, Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, and other ignorant things of that nature, so I would imagine that these things are present 30 minutes north, as well. Thanks for your detailed answer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 PM

419 posts, read 731,146 times
I don't really think Ogden is more diverse than Salt Lake City. Check the demographics on Wiki for example. SLC is 80% white, Ogden is 79% white. SLC has more Blacks and Asians, while Ogden has more Hispanics.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM

602 posts, read 1,189,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlynx View Post
Thanks, Mark! This is what I have commonly heard about the area from others while I was in Salt Lake City, and I was curious if they were saying these things just because Salt Lake City was supposedly so much safer compared to Ogden, if they had sour grapes, or if it was the genuine truth. I have witnessed a lot of Hispanic violence in Salt Lake City, Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, and other ignorant things of that nature, so I would imagine that these things are present 30 minutes north, as well. Thanks for your detailed answer .
I have been in Ogden for about two weeks now and I absolutely love it. We are between 26th and 27th on Jefferson Ave. in the Jefferson Historic District. We are a few blocks away from all the activity at 24th and 25th street, and it's very quiet for here. There is a lot of diversity here. I probably see other ethnicities just as much as I see white people. I was a little nervous after hearing everything I heard about Ogden, but I'm glad I came anyway, because I don't think the suburbs would have been for us......

Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM

20 posts, read 58,935 times
Don't believe everything you hear about Ogden being a dump. The proof is in the pudding. The abondoned houses are abandoned on purpose. They are scheduled to be torn down for redevelopment. They would be occupied if they weren't slated to be scraped for new construction.

Come check out Ogden and Weber State. I think you will like it here. Crime stats just came out last week and Ogden's crime is less that Salt Lake AND Park City!

You can see the chart at my site.

Jeremy Peterson
Moderator cut: no advertising allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-03-2009 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area