U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
Thank you all for having posted previously, it's nice to have a forum like this. My wife and I just visited there this weekend and actually like it a lot. We are originally from Chicago, but are now living in Vegas and looking to move elsewhere. We aren't lds, we don't have kids and we aren't particularly religious. We are both vegetarian however and loved that there were some nice restaurants to choose from. I love the fact that there are so many ice rinks to play hockey at, and my wife likes that there are some fly yoga classes there. I don't want to make this too long, but I was wondering if anyone could take a whack at a few questions.

I'm an ICU nurse and in theory I'm assuming I should be able to find a job pretty easily. Does anyone know how nursing gigs pay compared to other places? I make mid 30's an hour here in Vegas now.

Are there places to cross country ski and do people do that there or is it all downhill stuff?

The city seems a rather strange mix of very conservative with the lds, yet also liberal seeming based on some of the comments about such a high population of people who are homosexual. Is the city evolving a bit or are more diverse people moving there?

Lastly, for now, what are the industries there? I see a lot of taller building with the names of banks on them and was wondering if slc was kind of a financial center for the area.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. We are still looking at other locations in other states but came away with a very good feeling about SLC.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,455,953 times
Utah is an awesome state and going on what you said in your post it sounds like you'd love it here.
Jobs in Utah generally pay a little below what other states make so I'd think you might be disappointed there. But I'd take a lower paying job if you're in a place that makes you happy anyday. (heck my job doesn't pay anything....lol)
Downhill skiing, Snowboarding, cross country, it's all here....best snow on earth or so they say (I wouldn't know I don't ski ) The mountains are absolutely gorgeous though here as you saw I'm sure. The canyons are amazing and I can't imagine how beautiful cross-country skiing would be. No shortage of trails there!
Yes I would say SLC itself is definately becoming more diverse. It becomes a little less diverse when you get out into the surrounding cities (eg. Draper, Murray, South Jordan) but it really depends where you live. I've also heard that Daybreak has quite a diverse population (a fairly new development out in west west Jordran) that wasn't a typo it's really far out west I don't know if you had a chance to go to ParkCity but it is quite diverse up there too. Has a great atmosphere!
Good luck on your decision

Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM

6,521 posts, read 4,174,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Utah is an awesome state and going on what you said in your post it sounds like you'd love it here.
Jobs in Utah generally pay a little below what other states make so I'd think you might be disappointed there. But I'd take a lower paying job if you're in a place that makes you happy anyday. (heck my job doesn't pay anything....lol)
Downhill skiing, Snowboarding, cross country, it's all here....best snow on earth or so they say (I wouldn't know I don't ski ) The mountains are absolutely gorgeous though here as you saw I'm sure. The canyons are amazing and I can't imagine how beautiful cross-country skiing would be. No shortage of trails there!
Yes I would say SLC itself is definately becoming more diverse. It becomes a little less diverse when you get out into the surrounding cities (eg. Draper, Murray, South Jordan) but it really depends where you live. I've also heard that Daybreak has quite a diverse population (a fairly new development out in west west Jordran) that wasn't a typo it's really far out west I don't know if you had a chance to go to ParkCity but it is quite diverse up there too. Has a great atmosphere!
Good luck on your decision
Daybreak is in west west south jordan.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:07 PM

17 posts, read 120,212 times
Default PROS and cons

Although I feel that most of m92tiger's comments are spot on, I do feel it is unfair to list only the cons and not the pros of SLC, UT.
Keep in mind that -despite all cons I listed at the very start of this thread- there are actually many pros. After all, I do live here, still.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,819 times
I lived in Moab, UT for less than a year and my wife (girlfriend at the time) lived in SLC at the same time for also less than a year. We moved together to a mountain resort area in Colorado where we still currently live. I have been looking for jobs in Salt Lake City because it has many aspects that we both really like. We love where we are right now, but it is just not possible for us to afford a house here. Small, low-quality homes start at about $400k here. We are both 28 and have a 3 year-old son. We are somewhat outdoorsy, would like to be near a fairly large city, enjoy drinking and going out on occassion, and are not LDS. So, I have some observations/comments to share (from my little time in SLC)and some questions. Please feel free to correct me if my comments are not entirely accurate since I have not lived in SLC for years like some posters.

Observations:
- SLC seems clean and crime is of little concern
- Didn't notice much of a downtown area, more like little nodes of shops spread out
- Some bars require a membership?
- Very strong LDS influence

Comments:
- I tend to agree with Jonah Hex about the red rocks in the surrounding areas, not that appealing to my eye (my opinion, my wife loves them though). Makes me thirsty just looking at them.
- I like the location of SLC - near the mountains, good areas for camping, hiking, skiing, etc. Also like that it isn't that far from Las Vegas and closer to the West Coast (kind of landlocked where we are now).
- Housing seems relatively low for being near a ski area.

Questions:
- Are there areas in SLC that are predominately not LDS? If so, please name some. I find them to be very nice people. But, we obviously have a different lifestyle and have no desire to have a negative impact on their lifestyle.
- We are a middle-class income family and would like to find a 2 or 3 bedroom house for around $200k. Would we be able to find a nice house for this amount and what neighborhoods do you recommend?
- If we couldn't buy a house right away, we would like to find a 2 or 3 bedroom apt to rent for $800 to $1000 per month if possible. Once again, any recommendations where that might be possible?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,298,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-co View Post
Questions:
- Are there areas in SLC that are predominately not LDS? If so, please name some.
Salt Lake City proper is about 50% LDS. The downtown area would probably be as low a percentage of LDS than anywhere you could find. I don't think you'd find anywhere where fewer than 50% of your neighbors were LDS, but that doesn't mean they are all practicing members of the Church.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 PM

973 posts, read 1,070,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-co View Post
Questions:
- Are there areas in SLC that are predominately not LDS? If so, please name some. I find them to be very nice people. But, we obviously have a different lifestyle and have no desire to have a negative impact on their lifestyle.
- We are a middle-class income family and would like to find a 2 or 3 bedroom house for around $200k. Would we be able to find a nice house for this amount and what neighborhoods do you recommend?
- If we couldn't buy a house right away, we would like to find a 2 or 3 bedroom apt to rent for $800 to $1000 per month if possible. Once again, any recommendations where that might be possible?
We moved here dec 06/jan 07 for hubby's work. We have 2 kiddos, now, boy, 7, girl, 6. Our neighborhood is mainly LDS, we are not. We love it here. We are in way out west West Jordan.

I actually have more friends here via the mom's group I'm on here than in where I'm from, Ohio. Hubby also has friends here, from work & hubbies of my friends.

We love it here, it is clean, family friendly, I kinda like the 'sleepy' feel of the city to me. =)

Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM

973 posts, read 1,070,741 times
Oh, & our daughter's best friend is our neighbor's daughter, who is LDS. Both kids have a number of friends in the neighborhood, boy & girl, LDS, & not, no one seems to care.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,616,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Oh, & our daughter's best friend is our neighbor's daughter, who is LDS. Both kids have a number of friends in the neighborhood, boy & girl, LDS, & not, no one seems to care.
Totally true...and you know what? The ones that do care are probably not the ones you would want as friends anyway, KWIM?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 PM

51 posts, read 9,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
surprised...have they tried to convert you? have you considered it? I mean if it's good enough for them, maybe it might be a good fit for you and your family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area