Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 PM

9 posts, read 12,466 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to move to Utah sometime within the next 8 months. We visited SLC in early August and liked enough to plan another trip when its colder sometime in January to see if we can bare it. We currently live in Alabama and plan on giving up the Gulf for mountains. Wife wants what would be city life to us and I want outdoor life. During our visit, we were asking locals important questions like where is a good place to live and how is the job market. We are now at the time where we want to know about stuff that interest us that we didn't have time to ask locals about.... So any info on the below questions would be nice.

1. What NFL teams do you get on your local CBS and Fox affiliates on basic cable ? In Mobile, AL we always get the Saints because we are in their market.

2. In regards to MLB, do you get D-Back or Rockie Games ?

3. In regards to fishing, where is the best place to go ?

4. Is there a state tax and what is the sales tax ?

5. With the sub system, how far can it take you north and south in Utah ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:20 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
My wife and I have decided to move to Utah sometime within the next 8 months. We visited SLC in early August and liked enough to plan another trip when its colder sometime in January to see if we can bare it. We currently live in Alabama and plan on giving up the Gulf for mountains. Wife wants what would be city life to us and I want outdoor life. During our visit, we were asking locals important questions like where is a good place to live and how is the job market. We are now at the time where we want to know about stuff that interest us that we didn't have time to ask locals about.... So any info on the below questions would be nice.

1. What NFL teams do you get on your local CBS and Fox affiliates on basic cable ? In Mobile, AL we always get the Saints because we are in their market.

As far as the NFL goes, we have NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv. You have access to every NFL game all season long ( a little expensive, but tv is our only luxury at this point.....lol). On the regular channels we get all the Monday night football, and I've seen all diffferent teams on the local channels. College however is a different matter. We are from Oklahoma, and unfortunately don't get to see as much Big 12 as we aren't in the area anymore. We seem to always get Florida, USC, Georgia, or some random obsure school....lol. I think I"ve seen one Alabama game since I've been here. Anywho, there are plenty of sports bars/restuarants around here that always have a lot of games on.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
"sub"? TRAX is surface, not a subway, if that is what you mean. It connects to the FrontRunner, which goes to Ogden. Not sure of the south end, maybe 10600 South?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:36 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:

I don't get into football or basball, but get satellite and you can watch whatever team you want.

Favorite fishing spots are Provo canyon, any of the reservoirs (my favorite for fishing is Strawberry) and the Green river below Flaming Gorge.

There is a state tax and sales tax, This year sales tax is 4.70 %

There is no subway, just light rail and buses. I'm of the opinion that you NEED a car to live here, but I know lots of other people will disagree with me. The frontrunner rail system goes from Ogden to SLC, trax goes from SLC to Sandy, and downtown to the U of U. They are working on exensions of frontrunner to Provo and trax to the airport, South Jordan, Draper and West Valley

Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
1. What NFL teams do you get on your local CBS and Fox affiliates on basic cable? In Mobile, AL we always get the Saints because we are in their market. I don't watch pro football.

2. In regards to MLB, do you get D-Back or Rockie Games? Rockies. I think basic cable will also give you (TBS) Braves, and perhaps some ESPNs.

4. Is there a state tax and what is the sales tax? Sales tax can vary by county. With all the additional taxes added into the sales tax, in Salt Lake County, you'd be paying 6.85% combined sales & use tax on purchases other than food.Here's a link to the state tax tables by county.

As far as state tax, do you mean income tax? As of 2008, it's a flat 5% rate.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 PM

9 posts, read 12,466 times
How long would it take during the summer to go to Ogden to SLC on the trax ?

Anybody else feel that one could live in Salt Lake City without a car during the winter months ?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM

13 posts, read 23,548 times
I just thought of something cool: Anyone in Utah believe that the state should get 1) a Major League professional baseball team of its own, 2) an NFL expansion team, and/or 3) an NHL hockey team? I hear there's about a million people in the metro area; SLC has got to be high on the list of media markets, no?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:23 PM

313 posts, read 778,541 times

We get whatever the hottest game is typically, but the Broncos and Niners are popular as are the national teams, Packers, Steelers and Cowboys.

The Fox affiliate puts us in Rockies territory, but the Angels are the most popular as the AAA team is affiliated.

Any reservoir, I'm no expert on this but the reservoirs are stocked with trout.

Ye, and like 6.5% or something. Someone may have known above. Didn't read.

Do you mean the lightrail and commuter rail? You can go from Sandy to Ogden with plans for it to be heading further south. Sandy to Salt Lake to West Valley is the light rail, the commuter rail is Salt Lake to Ogden.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM

313 posts, read 778,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gould View Post
I just thought of something cool: Anyone in Utah believe that the state should get 1) a Major League professional baseball team of its own, 2) an NFL expansion team, and/or 3) an NHL hockey team? I hear there's about a million people in the metro area; SLC has got to be high on the list of media markets, no?
It's in the range of Milwaukee and San Antonio. It's in the bottom of markets with at least one of the big 4. Football is unlikely, it requires a larger market now. (GB is all of WI remember) Baseball has too many games and without a salary system that supports small markets it's DOA. Hockey is less popular than European Soccer leagues. It's an NBA town here and will be for a long time. (Provided there's an NBA)

Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,803 times
Quote:
How long would it take during the summer to go to Ogden to SLC on the trax ?

Anybody else feel that one could live in Salt Lake City without a car during the winter months ?
It takes about an hour or more to take the FrontRunner train from SLC to Ogden.

And as a former Florida resident, I think I understand where you are going with the winter questions. Yes there are some places you can probably live without a car. For commuting and such, I do it from Bountiful to SLC. However you can't avoid driving all together. And its not as scary as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area