Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,906,896 times

Advertisements

I also love PKC and if I was wealthy, it would be on my short list! The real estate downturn could be a great opportunity for people to afford housing up there.

PKC is like Jackson Hole. Sort of. Regular people can't afford to live there so they bus their workers in from Star Valley. It's not much like the rest of Wyoming either. It's in a class by itself.

PKC is retaining a little more of it's middle class because of surrounding areas and the old miners houses that still exist.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,423,511 times
We live in a Sandy bordering Draper neighborhood. In the past 7 years our new neighbors are from MICHIGAN, OHIO, Wisconsin, Thousand Oaks, CA, Orange County, California. We moved to Utah almost 20 years ago.

You would be wrong to assume that this neighborhood is intolerant of non-LDS. We have not found that to be true. In reality - we honestly don't care. We do not have children - and we are not LDS (I'm not religious and my husband is non-practicing Jew)...but our neighbors are very respectful.

Sometimes perceptions become self-fulfilling truths. Come here with and open mind and you will find people open and accepting. We did and there's no looking back.

As for Park City? It has changed in the 20 years since we've moved here. My husband at one time wanted to move to Park City. No more. It's too expensive and too far from work. And too insular. Yes, it's a "California suburb" - but honestly? The entire Salt Lake Valley is changing in its diversity.

I expect that in the next 20 years - the LDS community will be outnumbered here in the Valley.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:21 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,033,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I also love PKC and if I was wealthy, it would be on my short list! The real estate downturn could be a great opportunity for people to afford housing up there.

PKC is like Jackson Hole. Sort of. Regular people can't afford to live there so they bus their workers in from Star Valley. It's not much like the rest of Wyoming either. It's in a class by itself.

PKC is retaining a little more of it's middle class because of surrounding areas and the old miners houses that still exist.
You do not have to be wealthy to live in P.C. Building on your thoughts regarding surrounding areas and the miner's houses, the following is not meant to be facetious, more a good idea (at least in my opinion) delivered with humor.

You may have to reside in one of the more "casual" (this being the most polite description coming to mind) neighborhoods, or one of the more austere neighborhoods on the outskirts of town. Purchase a home that is fully functional but has not been updated since the mid 70's, bunk same sex siblings together therefore requiring less bedrooms, etc.

Personally I would go with the austere neighborhood, you know the one's, the landscape looks like the Moors from "Wuthering Heights" rather than an Alpine setting. No charming tree lined streets of Holladay here. Combine this with a 70's special low on the beds and baths and your'e there.

Tell people you like 70's style because it is "Retro", have a big hearth/fireplace installed, get an English Sheepdog and Maine Coon Cat neamed "Heathcliff" and "Catherine" respectively. Walk them together wearing a Scottish Cap and a Shepherd's Walking Croft and people will think you are an eccentric genius...Bonus points for having an old Aston Martin chassis in a perpetual state of repair in the garage..

The point being with enough imagination, sacrifice in the right places, combined with a positive outlook and "spin" on the situation you can make it work..

Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM

23 posts, read 73,795 times
How about a commute from Park City to Provo down 189? According to Google its one hr, but I can bet it would be worse in the winter...

Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

74 posts, read 201,259 times
Hey TT,
Park City is absolutely charming and I can see the appeal in wanting to live there - definitely go visit if you get a chance this weekend. Although many families choose to live there, it has a real resort feel. You would probably meet some very sophisticated people and have fun but I would think a lot of them would be tourists. Maybe somebody else can better describe the local culture in actually living there because I have no first-hand knowlege. My guess is the winter commute would NOT be fun at all. It gets pretty cold and it snows a lot. Also, you probably already know that it is quite expensive. Personally, if you are looking for those things you described to me in your PM, something a bit more like where you are currently living, it is going to be more SLC not Park City.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Yes, I agree completely. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted! Trying to escape already... I think I'm panicking. I've been reading about Tongalese gangs all day...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,164,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTransplant View Post
Yes, I agree completely. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted! Trying to escape already... I think I'm panicking. I've been reading about Tongalese gangs all day...
I lived in what was voted "The safest City in America" and compared to where I am now that city was a pit. I have seen maybe 3 things of graffiti since living here and that includes driving through the "bad" areas of SLC.

I haven’t seen a gang member since I moved here.

Check the city data crime stats in the cities you are looking at
since I moved here.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM

74 posts, read 201,259 times
TT
In my opinion, the last concern you have is the gang problem. A lot of us that know SLC well, refer to it as Small Lake City. It is pretty safe relatively speaking. My only real concern for you is that you may find it less than stimulating only based on how big Houston is and how small SLC is. Sugarhouse is very cool and I love SLC because it is a smaller city but Sugarhouse is also a small area -probably not going to offer a lot of bars, there are some places to eat and there are coffee houses all over SL. Seriously, don't start worrying about needing to escape - the people are so great - just remember, it is all on a smaller scale but you will feel like you really know it in a relatively short time. You will learn all the cool spots - they are kind of sprinkled all over which means there is not one big huge cool spot if that makes sense. Pretty much, you will be able to look out your window at any time and feel like your on a vacation (at least I do when I am there). After the Houston summers that you have grown accustomed to, you will feel like you are in heaven if you are there this summer.
I am curious about your wife - does she plan on working? How is she going to fill her time?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
I live in Sugar House and drive all over SLC itself, except the west side (just no reason to go there). I don't see what look like gang members even weekly, much less daily. And I don't know if I would rcognize one anyway. They are so foreign to much of the area. It's not really something to worry about.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:38 PM

I was sort of joking about the Tongalese gangs. Actually, last night met my first Tongan. He was sitting with his girlfriend at the sushi bar. Seemed a very nice guy.

We drove around Sugar House today. Or maybe we kept missing it. Did find the Barnes Noble area and had some street tacos from a Mexico vending guy. (Bit greasy but hit the spot!) We missed Paris Bistro, Fresco, etc. Will try again tomorrow.

Yes, my wife will certainly want to work. So she'd have the commute to downtown and me to Utah County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area